• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

video Car window footage

Peace to all!

I'd like to ask about your methods of obtaining footage to replace car window green screens, especially rear windows. I've found very little on the stock footage sites or elsewhere, almost nothing for rear windows. Does everyone shoot their own? Please let me know if you've found good clips online and if so, where. Thanks!

I always shoot mine myself. I currently have a pickup truck that makes it easy, but I've also used a friend's hatchback in the past. The nice thing about shooting it yourself is that you can control stops and turns to match with the green screen footage of your actor.

I'd also note that you might want to use a wide lens for shooting those, unless your backplane is supposed to be a long distance from the car. Depends on the shot you're going for, but giving the post team some margin is generally a good idea. Shoot a bigger picture than you think you'll need, and let them trim away the extra.

I always shoot mine myself. I currently have a pickup truck that makes it easy, but I've also used a friend's hatchback in the past. The nice thing about shooting it yourself is that you can control stops and turns to match with the green screen footage of your actor.
True, when that's a possibility. Thanks!

I'd also note that you might want to use a wide lens for shooting those, unless your backplane is supposed to be a long distance from the car. Depends on the shot you're going for, but giving the post team some margin is generally a good idea. Shoot a bigger picture than you think you'll need, and let them trim away the extra.
Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

@Nate North gave great advice. i think most people shoot their own footage. Grab a friend with a truck and shoot it your self. If you shot the scene with a 35mm then grab the footage with a 28mm. It really isn't difficult unless you live somewhere that has become illegal for people to sit in the truck bed.

Back