YouTube Success

Now for a while I have been watching YouTube and content from users on indietalk, what I ask is what makes these videos that are popular on YouTube... well popular. We all know the answers of create good content and people will see, but in some cases that is not true. I have created at least 2 of my films that I think are decently good films, but only have barely 100 views. Is the success in the tags? Of course it also comes with networking, but like on indietalk, I have given my two cents on a few films, but the comments and views just don't come. What do you guys think is the best way to launch a channel?

P.S. Do not talk about networks, as they come after you have gotten some recognition.

Thanks guys,
Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ4OClhn9MY

I think it's as simple as continually making content. I had at least 10 videos (on my old channel) each with less than 100 views which at the time, for my age I thought was good. Posting in places barely helped me because there was nothing actually particularly special about those videos. Until one day I checked and saw that one had 400 views! It was crazy at the time, this by the way was probably a year after it was posted. That video now has over 12,000 somehow and that's not even a video I would consider that great. You have to slowly build a following. I have an account with most social networks to provide an outlet for people to follow. It just takes time. Not many people are Internet phenomenons overnight.
It's all about making content that somebody might actually take to their friend and say hey watch this. I kick started my new channel by going out and filming some crazy floods near my house. Somehow it got 1000 views in just two days: but that's because it was something people were looking up, and because I posted in the right places, like on local news Facebook pages and such.
Eg. If you make an action movie or VFX video post it on Video Copilot because the people on those forums care about that sort of thing etc.

May I ask how old you are? I've come across very young film makers who care too much about the views. Heck for me back in the day putting a video on YouTube was a bonus! I just made films for fun and they had an audience of less then 10! (My mate and his mates family)

I know the ins and outs of production sets etc. I have been around the block when it comes to making films and being on sets. I'm 23, an I am not focused on views, but views get you places on YouTube.

Talking about the film, I think you missed out some important points to inspire people to watch and share your work.

First, once I read the synopsis I did know the entire movie. There is no surprise or undiscovered things. The short film is a very special kind of story. It's a tale which needs some kind of "aha, I got you", anything to be explored by the viewer, any kind of sense unimagined on the beggining or at least an interesting idea constructed with the different elements of the storytelling. Second, time is crucial. Not just because it's a short, but because it's on the Internet. You take too much time to show simple scenes with very simple framing - and handheld camera - in a history that I don't have emotional connection with the characters, because it's a short film. I don't lived the movie for time enough to care about them, or to feel what they feel. So try to be a little more dynamic, always understanding that people are not connected to your film as you are. Also, try to frame the scenes playing more with the depth of field. As we don't have the best cameras for filmmaking, we have to use all we can in our DSLR's or "video cameras" in order to make it look more interesting than a normal video. And it includes the third thing I would point: achieving a good look to the footage is not only an aesthetic question, but a tool to generate a continuity feeling. As we don't have much time to conquer the viewer, the look can e must help us to tell the story.

You did a great job, just need to keep working and improving it.

Like anything in the arts/entertainment business it's about 60% luck. Ten artists of equal talent, one becomes famous, 9 do not. The main reason, luck. Other factors for sure, but "luck" is huge.

My top youtube video has 12K views or so (in 4 or 5 years). Kohlman Files has been watched 400 times on youtube and 40K times on Dailymotion. Why... it got selected as a "featured video" on daily motion. The right guy, on the right day, in the right mood, over at DM saw it and decided to feature it. On another day another guy might not have. It had little to do with the quality of the product one way or the other.

I would like to add two other elements that make a powerful partnership, material with a large pre-existing fan base and large scale adversiting.

Movies based on bestselling novels are enjoying enormous fame.

Twilight, The Hunger Games, and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo are so-so movies enjoying great box office sales with these elements propelling them to success.

Btw il let you in a secret, not all videos contain user clickable views. I know of one vid and it got over a million views, I also know howit got its first 100,000 views and it cost £40

You more likely to click on a vid that has more views versus one that has less, got that from a research study ages ago.

So YouTube success is a questionable thing, sometimes it's an investable process other times its public luck.

Hey thanks for the discussion guys. I'm only out for break but I should be able to answer back later tonight, and thank you @FernandoAndre for the review/words about short film, I'll take that into consideration when making more.

Do you guys think, other than what I stated as have good work, tags have an impact also?

You won't get views until you get it out in front of people who might be interested - if you wait for them to come to you you'll be waiting a long time. Easiest way to do this is with youtube's promoted video feature - you're basically paying per view, and your video shows up as a promoted video on the sidebar when people search for related keywords. You create a simple text ad, choose the keywords you want, and then set a maximum bid per view.

The position your ad appears in depends on the bid and the popularity of the keywords - very popular ones will cost more than it's worth to get on the first page of results. You can bid as low as one cent per view, so the trick is to find keywords that are relevant to your video but don't have a lot of competition. You also set a daily maximum so you can control the total costs easily. I've run several of these campaigns at one cent per view with some success - our top video has over 45,000 views, the next few have 5-8,000 views. Videos I've never promoted this way get several hundred views at most through posting to facebook, twitter, and forums like this one. ( EDIT - I just realized some of my numbers were slightly incorrect - when we promote via facebook, forums etc we usually promote the vimeo version rather than youtube, so our vimeo versions can easily pick up a couple of thousand views organically. The youtube versions we don't promote get a few hundred at best from search, etc.)

Now obviously you don't want to just continually pay for all of your views - even at one cent per view it can easily add up pretty quickly. I'm sure if I was willing to set a high daily maximum I could have hundreds of thousands of views right now - but that could easily cost thousands of dollars in a short period of time. That may be worth it if your video is making money for you - i.e. selling a DVD or product - but it's not worth it just to get your numbers up. I do get some revenue from ads on the videos as well, but it really only offsets the promoted costs by about 25%.

However, on the one with 45k views I paid for less than a third of those - the rest came when someone who found the video through the ads on youtube posted it to their site or blog. It helps if you have a video with a subject that may be of interest to specific groups of people - that particular video is a documentary about ultrarunners, so it got reposted to a lot of running blogs and forums. It also would probably be useful to have additional related videos on your channel, so if someone finds one through the ads they're more likely to continue watching your other videos - unfortunately our videos aren't really related to one another so I haven't seen much of that on our channel.

With a little planning though I think you could put together a series of short videos with a single related theme or subject, combine it with some sort of product that you are promoting, and really leverage the promoted videos to get quite a few views as well as possibly make some money too.

Last edited:
You won't get views until you get it out in front of people who might be interested - if you wait for them to come to you you'll be waiting a long time. Easiest way to do this is with youtube's promoted video feature - you're basically paying per view, and your video shows up as a promoted video on the sidebar when people search for related keywords. You create a simple text ad, choose the keywords you want, and then set a maximum bid per view.

The position your ad appears in depends on the bid and the popularity of the keywords - very popular ones will cost more than it's worth to get on the first page of results. You can bid as low as one cent per view, so the trick is to find keywords that are relevant to your video but don't have a lot of competition. You also set a daily maximum so you can control the total costs easily. I've run several of these campaigns at one cent per view with some success - our top video has over 45,000 views, the next few have 5-8,000 views. Videos I've never promoted this way get several hundred views at most through posting to facebook, twitter, and forums like this one.

Now obviously you don't want to just continually pay for all of your views - even at one cent per view it can easily add up pretty quickly. I'm sure if I was willing to set a high daily maximum I could have hundreds of thousands of views right now - but that could easily cost thousands of dollars in a short period of time. That may be worth it if your video is making money for you - i.e. selling a DVD or product - but it's not worth it just to get your numbers up. I do get some revenue from ads on the videos as well, but it really only offsets the promoted costs by about 25%.

However, on the one with 45k views I paid for less than a third of those - the rest came when someone who found the video through the ads on youtube posted it to their site or blog. It helps if you have a video with a subject that may be of interest to specific groups of people - that particular video is a documentary about ultrarunners, so it got reposted to a lot of running blogs and forums. It also would probably be useful to have additional related videos on your channel, so if someone finds one through the ads they're more likely to continue watching your other videos - unfortunately our videos aren't really related to one another so I haven't seen much of that on our channel.

With a little planning though I think you could put together a series of short videos with a single related theme or subject, combine it with some sort of product that you are promoting, and really leverage the promoted videos to get quite a few views as well as possibly make some money too.

I could get 3-4000 views in 3 days for free

The answer is to use services apart from the YouTube offerings to increase your views.

A cent per view is decent however you can likes plus comments for free using my method

But is your method bringing in actual viewers? I'm not really interested in getting my view count up to have big numbers, I'm looking to get my video viewed by people who actually want to watch it. A large portion of the views I get through youtube promoted videos actually watch the video all the way through. I'd consider most of the outside services I've seen to be little more than a scam to artificially pump up your view counts. If that's all I wanted I could easily do that programmatically without needing to pay a service to do it.

But is your method bringing in actual viewers? I'm not really interested in getting my view count up to have big numbers, I'm looking to get my video viewed by people who actually want to watch it. A large portion of the views I get through youtube promoted videos actually watch the video all the way through. I'd consider most of the outside services I've seen to be little more than a scam to artificially pump up your view counts. If that's all I wanted I could easily do that programmatically without needing to pay a service to do it.

Real viewers, they have to watch at least half of your video for the view to count, I guess I see your point, I guess it's down to user preference.

A cent per view is indeed cheap.

Do you find that your video keywords appear more at the top also using YouTubes services?

Real viewers, they have to watch at least half of your video for the view to count, I guess I see your point, I guess it's down to user preference.

A cent per view is indeed cheap.

Do you find that your video keywords appear more at the top also using YouTubes services?

I consider that buying a view service that websites offer to be unethical. An Adwords ad where to are 'paying for a view' is different because it is optional for the user. Yes some see it as the only way, but as I said I've had videos that I didn't even pro one, let alone put fake views on, that have got thousands of views simply because someone thought it was worthy if watching...

Hey thanks for the discussion guys. I'm only out for break but I should be able to answer back later tonight, and thank you @FernandoAndre for the review/words about short film, I'll take that into consideration when making more.

Do you guys think, other than what I stated as have good work, tags have an impact also?

I think yes, you do need good tags to attract people who possibly are looking for what you made. But dude, the massive number of people are just searching for things in vogue. It changes each month, each week and a lot of trends changes each day. So I don't feel good about bet on this, in the people who are looking for videos.

I prefer to always think about "what can I do that could inspire 1 user to share my video after watching it?". I watch a lot of movies or videos from what my friends share on Facebook. I trust on them, I believe if they shared, it deserves a playback. I really believe if you work hard in absolutely interesting and inspirational points in your film, people will share it to their friends and it will raise your number of views in a way that is, in my opinion, the main reason to make a movie: show something deep from your imagination to others.

(sorry the bad english)

I think yes, you do need good tags to attract people who possibly are looking for what you made. But dude, the massive number of people are just searching for things in vogue. It changes each month, each week and a lot of trends changes each day. So I don't feel good about bet on this, in the people who are looking for videos.

However these tags need to be related to the video somehow, because if someone finds your (hypothetical) video of you playing guitar from a 'funny cat' search they are less likely to watch through it especially considering it was not what they were expecting to begin with. Freddie Wong talked about this once on a blog post somewhere, but I can't recall where

Yes, I definitely get more views from organic search on the keywords in my videos, but I think it's an indirect effect. Someone searches for a keyword, your video ad shows up on the side, they click to play - the more this happens, the more relevant your video seems for those keywords. I've stopped promoting the running doc, but it's still one of the top results if you search for ultrarunning or ultrarunner.

The title of your video is probably as important as the keywords though. It's basic SEO - the page title is one of the most important things for search engines, and the title of your video is used as the page title on youtube. So you should make sure that your most important keywords are part of the title.

I prefer to always think about "what can I do that could inspire 1 user to share my video after watching it?". (...) I really believe if you work hard in absolutely interesting and inspirational points in your film, people will share it to their friends and it will raise your number of views in a way that is, in my opinion, the main reason to make a movie: show something deep from your imagination to others.

Ultimately that's the most important thing. Advertising/promoting your videos only gets it out to a small number of people - if you want the views to really take off there has to be something to the video that drives people to share it.

Back