You Are Alone

Greetings,

I know a lot of people seemed to like the trailer for YOU ARE ALONE when it was posted a few months back. Well, it will have it's World Premiere in June. I've posted the info on the screenings board...hope to see some of you there.

Gorman

www.YouAreAlone.com

Gorman, congrats and good luck with the festival! I can't make it down to Brooklyn on the 9th (previous committment...alright, Thursdays are my sailboat racing nights; my crew would kill me if I abandoned them), but I wish you all the best! Keep us posted on more local screenings, and I'll be sure to attend and bring some fellow filmmakers and associates.

Gorman, did you see Film Fest New Haven (www.filmfest.org) has something like a $10 submission fee for films with Connecticut connections, and yours certainly qualifies. Are you going to submit? I think the advanced deadline is June 1st...hey, it'd be great to see it locally at a fest.

Bob, yes, I've already had coffee with and handed my screener to Melissa Basagni, the new artistic director of the fest. So, my fingers are crossed.

As for the Bethel Fest...I don't know...I was born and raised in CT, and most people I ask don't even know where Bethel is. I'm having problems visualizing what this fest could be.

I also don't know what their committment to CT filmmakers will be. What percentage of their program will be devoted to CT filmmakers. (There's no discount for films made in the state.) I'm honestly having problems justifying the $35. And nothing on their site is changing my mind. (Including no email link so you can ask any of the above, and no bios of who's running the show.)

I don't know...I probably will not submit...but would love to be convinced otherwise.

Gorman

Gorman, great! Good luck with FFNH.

And yeah, I looked at the Bethel Film Festival website, and I agree that they don't seem to be going out of their way to encourage filmmakers to submit locally produced films. The "Get Bulletins" link is on the main Bethel FF page, right under the Submit link. You might consider dropping them a note saying something to that effect, but chances are it's a bit late for changes.

I don't think Bethel is going to turn into the next Sundance or anything, but it's a nice little town that's tucked in a little corner just south and east of Danbury, and the regional-famous Sycamore Drive-In Restaurant is located just down the street from the Cinema. (The Sycamore is the last drive-in in Connecticut that still has "car-hop" service).

And...let us not forget...Bethel is also birthplace of Meg Ryan.

I will initiate contact, and post the results. If you don't hear back in a few days, send out the rescue hounds.

Hey...just posted a music video for YOU ARE ALONE in the screening room. Let me know what you think! Does it make you want to see the film?

Wow, yes it does...it has a very dark and disturbing feel to it. I know I'm going to see this movie; I just hope I won't want to kill myself afterwards! ;)

It has a nice rich "filmlike" look to it; what did you use to shoot and edit it?

-Bob

Thanks!

It's pretty depressing...

As for tech specs, shot on the DVX100a, edited on Avid, no special effects at all. (Not even any color correction.)

Wait, take that back, I slowed clips down, and of course the double exposure and split screen stuff.

But that's all.

YouAreAloneMOVIE said:
Bob, yes, I've already had coffee with and handed my screener to Melissa Basagni, the new artistic director of the fest. So, my fingers are crossed.

As for the Bethel Fest...I don't know...I was born and raised in CT, and most people I ask don't even know where Bethel is. I'm having problems visualizing what this fest could be.

I also don't know what their committment to CT filmmakers will be. What percentage of their program will be devoted to CT filmmakers. (There's no discount for films made in the state.) I'm honestly having problems justifying the $35. And nothing on their site is changing my mind. (Including no email link so you can ask any of the above, and no bios of who's running the show.)

I don't know...I probably will not submit...but would love to be convinced otherwise.

Hi Gorman

Although our contact info has always been available, I'm sorry you had trouble navigating our site. We will be launching a new and improved website any day now.

So you've never heard of Bethel! Geographically speaking, we're in Northern Fairfield County, near Danbury, Newtown, Ridgefield, and Redding. We are approximately 1 hour from New Haven and 90 minutes from NYC.

The BFF is based out of the Bethel Cinema, a well-known, well-loved, four-screen theater that has been successfully showing indies for over 13 years. We have an extraordinarily loyal base of independent film fans AND have an e-list of over 2,400 viewers who are very excited about our inaugural festival this October.

Outside of our existing base, we are actively promoting our event through relationships and partnerships with filmmakers, industry professionals, the media, educational institutions, art and tourism organizations and corporations. And we well understand the very real importance of promoting not only the festival but also the films submitted.

The festival organizers are a grassroots collective of dedicated film enthusiasts. Our goal is to program good, non-formulaic films that haven't been seen in our area. We have a strong commitment to CT filmmakers and hope to program a CT filmmaker evening. We've received several CT films already and anxiously await even more. BTW, congratulations on completing your film; we look forward to receiving and screening your submission. And please, tell your fellow filmmakers about us.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to email me again and I'll try to provide more help. Or if you'd like, come visit the cinema, WALK ON WATER is playing this week, and we use real butter on our popcorn!

Carol Spiegel
Festival Programmer
carol@bethelfilmfestival.com

Last edited:
Carol, thanks for the info...I wrote you an email privately with my response. But seriously, I just checked again, and there is no place on your site to CONTACT you, until AFTER you fill out the GET BULLETINS page. I truly suggest a very simple EMAIL US or CONTACT US link at the bottom of every page, that's probably the most important thing you can have on a website. Thanks, Gorman

Last edited:
'sup Carol!
smiley_pop.gif

Spatula said:
REAL BUTTER!!!
:)
That's a rare and precious situation. I must drop by some day and sample your popping corn...

Yep Spatula... real butter!!! And we use Zensteve's favorite popcorn recipe. We fill it halfway, layer on the butter, fill to brim and repeat butter.

Back