XL2 pixelation in viewfinder and playback

I bought a used Canon XL2 that shows jagged pixelation in any dark horizontal lines (Door undercuts, tile mortar joints and louvers, etc). This appears both in the viewfinder and in the playback on my imac. I have run a cleaning tape for 20 seconds but then reasoned if it's on the viewfinder, it is not the heads.

This problem exists regardless of record speed. I am hoping one of you can tell me "You big dummy...press "x" button" to make this problem go away. If not, pointing me in the direction of the problem is most appreciated.

The dark black lines look like the old still figure atari 2600 combat planes if that makes sense per the jaggedness of the pixelation. The quality of the rest of the image is ok. It is just the straight, dark lines that do this. Thoughts?

Last edited:
What are your sharpness settings? It is Standard Def, so some will be quite natural and avoiding diagonal straight lines are something you'll start to do naturally as well. Screen shot? The viewfinder is also a much lower resolution than the image as well, so isn't that good of an indicator of the final image quality.

What are your sharpness settings? It is Standard Def, so some will be quite natural and avoiding diagonal straight lines are something you'll start to do naturally as well. Screen shot? The viewfinder is also a much lower resolution than the image as well, so isn't that good of an indicator of the final image quality.

It was excessive and looked far worse on my mac. I just mailed her off to canon today for a checkup.

Oh cool!

What's the first project for it? :cool:

A comedy short featuring my bad acting and a homebreaking zombie with the working title "Early to Bed, Early They Rise"(I know...another zombie clip:lol: )

I think it will be interesting and humerous if I can get the film in my head to transfer to a tangible thing that is close to my vision. I spent much of today working on lighting and camera positioning. I think I made some good progress.

I have learned a lot about my equipment and my limitations of experience.

I think my first short should be pretty good. It will probably be a few weeks before I can shoot it yet...I have to get a break from my hectic work schedule. I am pretty excited to work to get the story in my head out of there for the reaction of others...whatever that will be. Luckily, thin-skinned I am not:cool:

Back