• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing watching TV

Hello all! I'm kinda stuck on the formating bit of screenwriting. I have a man watching himself on the TV but what I want to be seen is him watching the TV and then jump into the TV screen. Watching him commentating on a murder trial. Wanted to know how to put that on the page.

Him watching the TV and then get into what the TV is showing. Like another scene or something?

Int. Apartment - Day

X is watching television.

TV Reporter
And now we change it over to X.

X pays close attention.

.... dunno how to write it :( the change i mean

Well I've seen it written in sluglines.
INT. ROOM

X is watching TV.

TELEVISION

The reporter shows pictures of the murderer doing blah blah blah.

INT. ROOM

X breaks down crying, recognizing the face of the deceased.

I prefer to write like the following though:

INT. ROOM

X watches the television screen. On screen, the reporter shows footage of the murderer doing blah blah blah. X breaks down crying, recognizing the deceased.

Takes up less page space to do I think essentially the same thing. A bit less jumpy but still guides the reader's eye to what I'm wanting. That is if you're looking for two separate shots. If you want it in the same shot, you could always write it like this:
X watches the television screen, where the reporter shows footage of the murderer doing blah blah blah. X breaks down crying, recognizing the deceased.

Just my two amateur cents.

Back