• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing Schedule

Newbie here (well, reading the forum for awhile but finally joined). I'm working on my first feature length screenplay. It has been a long process thus far: writing in bursts, getting hung up on certain spots, revisiting my structure and even revising Act 1 before getting out of Act 2. I have made a promise to myself to turn that around with a little (or a lot) more discipline. First thing first, I need to set out a writing schedule AND stick to it :rolleyes:

So, I would love to know other people's schedules. How long do you normally commit to each day? I'm especially interested in how you fit your schedule in with a day job, kids, etc.

Thanks in advance.

I'm in a good position I guess because I work 6 nights a week doing retail security so it gets pretty quiet. I bring a note pad with me and write there. My problem is when it comes to transfering it from paper to pc!

While studying part time I've found that scheduling an hour or two twice a week for the sole purpose of study has helped a little so say to yourself and family RIGHT Monday & Wednesday at 6-7 I'm working. see how that goes

Thanks for your input. I really need to keep a notepad. I'm always trying to keep notes in my head. For now, I'm trying to do an hour a day six days a week (Wednesdays are just impossible for me so I rather not set my self up for frustration). We'll see how this goes.

Notepads are crucial. Some people think I'm excessive, but I keep about five post it notes in my wallet, a small reporters notepad in each jacket I have, an A5 notepad in my bag or rucksack and a notepad next to my bed. Always got pens in my pockets/bags too. I never forget an idea now haha.

I find it difficult to commit to a schedule. I write in bursts.

I get too lazy with a pen and paper. Not to mention how much I have to spend buying those small wands one after losing another. Given ideas keep popping into my mind quite often, I have found my sound recorder app on my phone very helpful. Sometimes I record a whole 2 minute's dialogue from a conversation with my boss if I have such a scene in my script(without her knowledge of course).
Then when I get back home to the comfort of my writing desk, I play back my recordings as my mind goes for a stroll into the story. Its just the way I work around my laziness on pen and paper.

But the most important thing though is having your outline done as soon as possible.
When doing my scene outlines, I find myself working for more than 3 hours. Throwing cards around my table, taking them back and forth into the story.

But in the end, it all depends on you. Sometimes you are at your peak and its times like that when you do not want to stop writing until you stop thinking. Shutting out such a moment is doing yourself a dis-service.
Whereas sometimes you stare at your page and just can't put down a thing.
Just give it your best shot. There is no standard working schedule, its all about what you find driving your ability to its maximum potential.

My lunch break is almost always spent with a script making notes or a pad writing down ideas. It's hard to find the time, I work 8.5 hours a day, have a side business we're working hard on polishing our product and preparing a business plan for, in preproduction on 2 shorts, a house to keep clean and 2 children and one cat to feed!

A (modest) goal is critical, and a quick scan of the numerous articles online about combating procrastination will help provide some useful steps you can try. The time is almost always there, you just need to remove the distractions.

CraigL

Great feedback...never thought of a voice recorder app. Also lunch break is definitely a good time for notes, planning, etc. I've been a life long procrastinator and am finally buckling down. Thanks for the tips.

I have a few different writing schedules.

The first, I'm working with a collaborator on a new indie feature. We meet once per week, and that keeps things pretty damn fresh.

The second, I'm working on my own new script, and I write as much as possible on it. Day and night. Whenever I can.

The third, I'm blogging at least once/twice per week, on my script coverage blog and my indie fundraising blog.

The fourth, I'm writing songs for my band at least 4 hours per week.

My definition of a writer is someone who spends at least 51% of their available time writing. Good or bad, amateur or professional, paid or unpaid, in any medium.

Write! Write! Write!

I think that's on an Egyptian tomb somewhere.

:0
Brian

Back