• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writing for teenage actors..?

Perhaps the title is misleading. The thing is, most of the actors I have at my disposal, the ones who are good and I work well with are teenagers.
So I'm wondering what kind of plots would work. I don't wanna just write teen comedies and things. I want to do serious stuff. Just wondering what kinda things people think might work n

My advice is don't make teenage actors what they aren't. Pick a problem closely related to issues in high school such as, Death/suicide or the idea that teens see themselves as invincible, drugs; using them to escape other problems or experimenting, sex/love what does it really mean to love someone/ what emotions are brought forth from sex, does it change who you are as a person, Bullying/fitting in (self explanatory), discovering who they are ex. Gay, Having problems at home; abusive parents/ providing for their family, loosing the sense of childhood/imagination often closely related to loosing innocence. Those are just a few "serious" themes, i realize most of them are taboo or controversial but i think that is what high school is for a lot of people.

Breaking convention always appealed in a way. But never just for the sake of breaking convention. That's cheap.
I mean, I'd like to use lots of experimental and surreal elements, they always appealed. Plus using a small number of actors and locations and things is appealing in a way too.

The key i think when working with teenage actors, is to sit down with them and see what resonates with them because that is going to illicit the best acting from them. From there go ahead and start scripting. There is nothing wrong with experimental and surreal elements as long as they are in context and do not develop into a plot hole.

You can do a serious thriller or drama with teens. The movie Brick was semi-serious, and just look at T.A.P.S. But those movies had some adult characters as well. Perhaps a teen gang violence thriller, or teen femme fatale or homme fatale drama?

Last edited:
well I was in the same dilemma as you are, We started filming a thriller but it got stupid along the way because it wasn't really realistic. We are now hyped teenagers, finishing a script on a couple of friends going camping and making a comedy out of it with semi serious moments here and there. should be great.

Back