Wrapped!

Yesterday, we completed principle photography (3 Nights, 3 Days). I'm pretty shattered.

We put together an awesome crew of industry friends and new ones like IndeTalk's very own "pepper jack", who was reliable, friendly and generally awesome to work with.

I'm still trying to digest what happened over the past week. I'll write more about my experiences in the near future. For now, I need to go back to one of my locations and finish cleaning it up the massive mess.

Positives:
Casting
Crew (luck!)
Production Manager (who saved me from going nuts)
Great Locations (persistence & politics)
DP I know & trust
DIY Lights were great for remote work
Spent the money on the right things (sound & food)
General success in executing a vision
Storyboards

Negatives:
Some DIY gear wasn't up to the task (inexperience)
I took on way too much & was always on the 'brink'
Budget (ate the contingency)
I always needed 12-14 hours to make our day
Not enough rehearsal time

Thomas

That's awesome, congrats!

Based on my online impression of you, I'll bet you shot something really cool, and I look forward to seeing it!

hey-youre-awesome-1791-1232679844-0.jpg

Nice one Thomas. Great news.

I think this is the production in the great location you said you've been waiting a a number of years for.

Looking forward to your production comments.

Hope you're going to post a few clips at some point. Would love to see them.

Get some sleep in the meantime and make sure you de-stress yourself - indie directing can be so draining.

'Grats on finishing your short, dude! I've been following your planning & prep posts for a long while now. Great to see it come to a head. :)

Yah, Pepper Jack seems like a cool cat. :cool:

Decompress, unwind, relax, let that stress just melt away. There'll be time for all that tension again when you get into editing. :lol:

Thanks for the kind comments. I'm still scraping the sleep from my eyes. :lol:

I've found that each step involves an entire 'rebirth' of the project:
- Concept to first draft.
- First draft to shooting script.
- Casting.
- Principle photography.

I won't know what kind of movie I have until I'm well into editorial, sound & scoring. At that time, I'll know what I'm 'teasing'. I'm pretty sure that I'm also in for a title change.

I'll put up a page on FB and post images and notes about the shoot.

Rocking.

Will you be entering it into any festivals?

I'm sure you already know but just in case: be aware that some festivals don't allow you to post the short/movie prior on youtube etc. I think images etc are fine.

Is there a word for "I'm so envious that I wish I could kill him and wear his skin cuz I haven't completed production on my own project yet?"

You guys will love this:
I built up a 750 GB hard drive (and several backups) to store the ProRes HQ footage; that should be enough space for a 15 minute short, right? It was! All I used was 746 GB. I was sweating the space issue after the second day. :no:

Back