Wow, what a horrible video.

I occasionally have fits of temper, in which I vent about this filmmaker or that one (see the current Oldboy thread for reference), but I generally try to stay positive and supportive of other artists, regardless of their budget level.

But this kinda feels like a slap in the face to all filmmakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5EofwRzit0

I really like the song. Friends of mine tell me that the entire album is excellent. But this video. Geez! Could they have shown any less effort?! I expect so much more from Daft Punk. Here, they show such little effort that it feels to me like they don't have any respect or want for an awesome video.

The footage is repetitious. Literally. And I don't mean the new definition of "literally", which happens to be the exact opposite of the classic definition. They literally repeat the same shots, many times over. Even within the same shot, they repeat the same shot, by first playing it in normal speed, and then playing it in reverse (in times of desperation, I've done this myself).

Step up your game, Daft Punk, I'm putting you on notice!

I don't think you understand, they have a Star Filter! That means it's a good music video!

Seriously, though, it does come across as rather underwhelming, especially after the video miniseries on "Discovery". If that's the feel of what they wanted, though, c'est la vie.

In-f#cking-credible.

http://www.youtube.com/user/djeevs/videos
Thumbnail 6:41
Daft Punk - Get Lucky (Album Version Video)
200,364 views 1 month ago

Thumbnail 6:18
Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance (Music Video)
752,232 views 2 months ago

Thumbnail 4:08
Daft Punk - Get Lucky (Full Video)
21,022,766 views 4 months ago​
Three videos and 23million views, most of them for that sh!tty lame-sauce one you outted.

How does that happen?
(Anyone citing "optimized SEO" can consider themselves internet b!tch-slapped, BTW.)

You know, I was going to comment about how I agree with how terrible the video is. The music is not my cup of tea (I didn't like disco the first time around, haven't liked most of the house it inspired and this throwback disco stuff is just not to my tastes at all)

But then I thought about it. Take the name "daft punk" out of there, and it looks like a worst-of-the-worst disco video from the 70s. Which kinda IS appropriate to the song. I mean, disco videos were shitty. The video is repetitious...but so is the song.

Value judgements aside, I think the video fits the song.

ha, I only watched it (no sound) and totally get it! Dude you missing the irony, the retro overload of early MTv look. The sparkles! Maybe the Daft Punk robots are old news, but in this video they look freakin amazing and are new to me (as a non Daft Punk non fan)

Why so popular? This video is taping into the collective conscience that old folks like me (who were teens when MTv hit the cable) have instilled into our children. My kids have never seen an old early '80's pop music vid, but yet they pickup on the retro-ness of the Daft Punk video and respond to it because of the "my parents hate this" background.. .. or not..

Three videos and 23million views, most of them for that sh!tty lame-sauce one you outted.

How does that happen?

Because people (especially teens) are using youtube videos as a way to listen to popular songs over and over. They might watch the video the first time, but they just play it in the background to hear the song without having to buy it. It's not really being watched that many times, just listened to because it's a popular song and there was a huge marketing push behind the album.

Maybe it's popularity is a knee-jerk response to the visually overwhelming, flashy, ultra-fast cuts, seizure inducing rubbish that so many music videos are?

Personally, I don't care for the song, found it way too monotonous, so in that regard (as pointed out), it's Perfect! =)

CraigL

First time I've heard the song, and tbh I thought it must have been a cover of a 70's song... 'cos it's just that awesome. :cool:

The vid itself is simple & catchy, just like the actual song. Daft Punk have captured the spirit of the 70's, 100%.

I have to say that I'm kind of in the camp that quite likes the video. It's sparkly and cool and doesn't try and overstretch (like some Daft Punk videos in the past).

And Pharell Williams is 100% more bearable in it than in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU

Now this is a terrible video. Lazy and misogynistic (and that's not even starting on the song's lyrics...) not to mention a little creepy.

I dont understand the above? Is that not the band that plays the song in the video? Are they fans or lampooning? How can it not be official if it has the band in it? Its obviously not boot leg? But maybe its CGI? what.. explain what you mean before my mind explodes!

I dont understand the above? Is that not the band that plays the song in the video? Are they fans or lampooning? How can it not be official if it has the band in it? Its obviously not boot leg? But maybe its CGI? what.. explain what you mean before my mind explodes!

It seems this is a fan-video, edited from footage taken from an ad that played during SNL. Now that I've finally realized that, I must, ironically, admit that it's a pretty good fan-video. I'll expect greater things from Daft Punk when they put out the real thing. :)

I hadn't realised that either. I've definitely seen that edit used on TV though.

So far as I can tell, the footage is official. The extended edit is not (it was originally 30-sec).

EDIT: I just watched that "Blurred Lines" video. Yeah, that's really underwhelming. Quite boring. I'm actually a fan of Robin Thicke's music, but that video sucks.

On an unrelated side-note, I simply can't resist but to tell the following story. I know a dude who works in a bar in a hotel. One weekend, Robin Thicke was staying at the hotel. Later in the night, Robin Thicke's manager (or personal assistant, or whatever) made a call to the bar to tell them that he'd be joining them for drinks. They gave specific instructions to have all of the staff fawn all over him, pretending to be major fans of his music. None of the staff had ever heard of him. None of the staff, except for this dude I know who was bartending that night, who really likes his music and would've liked to meet him. He never showed. :(

Last edited:
That's even more hilarious. The 1st-timer trying his/her hand at editing took a 30-second promo for SNL and turned it into a multi-million view hit? :lol:

Should Daft Punk even try for their own official vid, now? :bag:

Other notable example:

Sail by Awolnation - 19 million views - linkage
Professional music video, with strong storyline, direction & production value.

Sail by Awolnation (fan video) - 63 million views - linkage
Two chicks with a hose.

Once again... noone knows anything. :cool:

So far as I can tell, the footage is official. The extended edit is not (it was originally 30-sec).

Yeah, but I have a feeling that music video channels have been using this edit (or a very similar one) as a placeholder until there's an official video. The song has been in the charts over here for months, certainly since April, and I guess a similar amount of time in the US. Clearly they're in no rush to produce an official video, but these TV channels have to use something for their ENDLESS Top 40 countdowns.

I'm really disappointed about this video. I hope it's a fan-made video or a placeholder.

I expect greater things from Daft Punk!

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9MszVE7aR4

I have to say that I'm kind of in the camp that quite likes the video. It's sparkly and cool and doesn't try and overstretch (like some Daft Punk videos in the past).

And Pharell Williams is 100% more bearable in it than in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU

Now this is a terrible video. Lazy and misogynistic (and that's not even starting on the song's lyrics...) not to mention a little creepy.

This version is a million times better...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqmiwHHktE?t=37s

Back