Would'nt you know it? Big question!

2-3 days of editing a documentary to go,and my computer takes a dump.While Im waiting for the computer guy to save me I wanted to ask about a little thing or two from some of you experienced folks.I took a little DV to Iraq with me and put together a doc. now Im so hooked its silly.I dont know how the market is for nobodies like me selling docs made with a $450.00 1ccd cam but Im assuming its a negative.I have been trying to come to a realistic direction of how to pay my bills in the future doing something with this and I am coming up with weddings,events,sports ect videography.Best I can tell there is no one that is obviously around who is "out there" with a presence in my area (small city in Jersey) so I was thinking of just going for it with a camera upgrade or two,wireless mics ect,slapping up a rear windshield advertisement on the car and using every contact I can imagine to get some business.(First few for free of course).Before I went to the Middle East I was a contractor and reasonably happy.Now Im not,I hate my *&T*T)ing line of work but the only time I am happy at all is when Im filming or editing.I also started a kids soccer season doc for experience and even though Im making nothing I couldnt be happier freezing my but off filming those kids practicing and getting "B-roll"ALL THAT !What do you think? By the way I probably wouldnt look for outside opinions ectcept Im a little nervous investing with mouths to feed.Anyone got a chrystal ball? Thanks, Fred ps- sonnyboo rocks the freaking world.

2-3 days of editing a documentary to go,and my computer takes a dump.
If it turns out the problem is your video card, I know of a few guys from BFG that will help you out... :D Sorry to hear that your PC bombed out. "Been there, done that" - That's why I'm going to buy a Mac soon. I've been working with PCs since the mid '80s and I'm sooooo done with them.

Best I can tell there is no one that is obviously around who is "out there" with a presence in my area (small city in Jersey)
Neither did Kevin Smith, he's a Jersey boy who worked at the Quick Stop in Leonardo. Hey, anything can happen! If he can do it, I'm optimistic that we all can.

I hate my *&T*T)ing line of work but the only time I am happy at all is when Im filming or editing.
Me too. I've been slow these six months after my surgery, but when I'm shooting or editing, I feel like a million bucks. It's a good sign. I hope to get behind the camera again very soon.

What do you think?
Always follow your passion. I did, and even though I'm not very good at what I do YET, I couldn't be happer when I'm behind the camera. Don't give up!! And best of luck.

If it's being behind a camera that you like and you really wouldn't mind putting together wedding videos, then definitely give it a shot... I have a friend in Northern California who makes over $100K a year from shooting wedding videos... He loves it.

From watching how he got started (I actually helped him shoot his first 3 weddings), he did the first weddings for family and friends for free. I remember he actually was able to find a wedding video shot list online from an experienced wedding videographer who simply gave it away.

He took that list -- added to it, shot the first video. I helped him edit the first one with Pinnacle Studio 7 if you can believe that... LOL.

The couple loved it... They sent everyone in their family and friends a copy and immediately, my buddy got 2 more jobs...

By the time the third video was completed and the couple sent THOSE tapes/DVDs out to family and friends, he had a pretty steady line of clients going.

He started out charging a grand and before the first year was over, he was charging $2500 and people are happy to pay it.

Now he has 6 part time videographers, 10 Panasonic DVX 100s (people really love the film look of the video - it makes them feel like they're watching a movie) and in addition to weddings, he does parties, industrial videos, special events like showers -- stuff like that. He loves it!

And guess what?

He still does all the editing himself... And pretty much, each wedding video is a clone i.e., they are pretty much standard fare but that's usually what people want... When the videos are different, it's because the weddings were different... LOL.

And the funniest part of all?

He still uses Pinnacle Studio. It's fast, simple, and does everything he needs it to do. So I would definitely say that if you're up to shooting video like the above, go for it!

Good luck with it!

filmy

Back