Would you take this film school offer?

hey guys. im plan on going to film school in about a year (at college right now trying to transfer) but im having second thoughts about this. im trying to be optimistic about this yet be realistic. plus the fact its somewhat risky but hey isn't everything? so if i do happened to get into film school (USC, chapman, UCLA, emerson, loyola etc.) would you take it with the government paying almost all your fees and have about ~5000 in debt after graduating? note that you can't use this money for film equipment and other stuff, only on the school. i'm pretty lucky to have most of it covered due to my low income but family is in debt so yeah. will you take this offer? maybe im just thinking too much right now...

If its a full program (you get a degree) and they guarantee to pay everything leaving you with only $5k debt? Go for it.

If its at the expense of a different degree, lets say a MBA, well then, I don't know. The film degree is relatively useless when it comes to jobs ($$$) after graduation.

Good luck though.

note that you can't use this money for film equipment and other stuff, only on the school. .

Does this just cover tuition, or is part of the grant used for housing/food/books/materials (which can vary in cost depending on the school) etc?

Undergrad or graduate degree?

Note that "film school" is not necessary for a career in production, although certain schools *can* (but don't always) provide valuable industry connections that are otherwise very difficult to get.

Does this just cover tuition, or is part of the grant used for housing/food/books/materials (which can vary in cost depending on the school) etc?

Undergrad or graduate degree?

Note that "film school" is not necessary for a career in production, although certain schools *can* (but don't always) provide valuable industry connections that are otherwise very difficult to get.

yes it should be with housing, tuition, etc.
it's undergraduate.
and i understand film degree is worthless and stuff but im just trying to get internship, establish connections and hopefully work in the industry soon. also note that im only applying to film school in socal (USC, UCLA, Loyola, Chapman) , don't know why i put emerson on the list lol but disregard that.

$5k for USC? Yeah... Do it!

While a degree doesn't garuntee employment, being able to learn what they teach, meet who try know and still get a degree and live in California all bills and food paid for essentially $200 a month is a no brainier. Shoot, deliver pizzas a night a week and no debt + some spending money.

Film school might not be smart if you're paying $40k+ for it. $5k is a no brainier.

yes it should be with housing, tuition, etc.
it's undergraduate.
and i understand film degree is worthless and stuff but im just trying to get internship, establish connections and hopefully work in the industry soon. also note that im only applying to film school in socal (USC, UCLA, Loyola, Chapman) , don't know why i put emerson on the list lol but disregard that.

I don't know much about Loyola, but I'd say UCLA, USC, and Chapman (probably in that order) are your best bets for internships, mentors, and general connections.

UCLA/USC used to (no clue if they still do) provide necessary materials for shooting on film which meant students didn't have to buy their own stock or pay for processing/printing, but on caveat that the schools retained the films. Since they are probably phasing out production on celluloid, I have no idea what it's like these days.

Double check the math, make sure that you're covered so you can concentrate on school, interning, networking, and not have to flip burgers to pay for it while you are there. If that's the case, then it's probably a smart move financially.

Just remember, you'll get out of it what you put into it - going to a marquee school is a good leg up, but you still got to climb the rest of the way yourself. :D

GL!

$5k for USC? Yeah... Do it!

While a degree doesn't garuntee employment, being able to learn what they teach, meet who try know and still get a degree and live in California all bills and food paid for essentially $200 a month is a no brainier. Shoot, deliver pizzas a night a week and no debt + some spending money.

Film school might not be smart if you're paying $40k+ for it. $5k is a no brainier.

lol consider if i do make it into USC.

I don't know much about Loyola, but I'd say UCLA, USC, and Chapman (probably in that order) are your best bets for internships, mentors, and general connections.

UCLA/USC used to (no clue if they still do) provide necessary materials for shooting on film which meant students didn't have to buy their own stock or pay for processing/printing, but on caveat that the schools retained the films. Since they are probably phasing out production on celluloid, I have no idea what it's like these days.

Double check the math, make sure that you're covered so you can concentrate on school, interning, networking, and not have to flip burgers to pay for it while you are there. If that's the case, then it's probably a smart move financially.

Just remember, you'll get out of it what you put into it - going to a marquee school is a good leg up, but you still got to climb the rest of the way yourself. :D

GL!
yeah it should be around there i guess. and i always thought it woul be USC, UCLA, Chapman but considering that UCLA is somewhat of a graduate program. thanks for your input.

I know a lot about USC and UCLA, and along with NYU, they're the best. However, if employment is a high priority, don't do it. None of these schools offer employable degrees. They essentially give you a fishing license and an opportunity to meet like minded individuals.

These are wicked times, a young person competes against Asian slave laborers with 150 IQ's. Be practical. Don't do it. You can still become a filmmaker, but don't squander Uncle Sam's gift on electives.

It sounds like it's worth a shot. I'd probably take the opportunity against the knowledge of there not being any guarantees of a gig after I'm finished.

Back