Would like advice for the next steps please...this time I will say things right...

Hello all.

I did not do a good job explaining my position in the previous Thread.

I still consider myself a Newbie as I have not done much yet in this field.

Looming for advice for the next steps.

Such as getting my own camera just to start out with, the best way to learn lighting without spending the next 5 years in classrooms, getting PA's, getting locations, etc.

Where I am already at:

1) already write my own screenplays, nothing adapted from other sources(yet);

2) can get talent and audition them;

3) can use the local Community Access station for equipment if necessary, but might want to be my own man for a while,;

4) working on my website, an hour here, an hour there...

5) can write basic movie reviews, and watch about 5 movies per week;

weaknesses:

1) not real computer saavy, struggle with the simplest of tasks...

2) have NO CLUE about cameras or lights...

3) can probably learn editing once I get the IMAC, but don't know if I am over my head...

4) have NO CLUE about getting financing for serious projects;

5) unsure if I should even fool with the DGA, of the Producers Guild...

Any advice would be most helpful.

Ironman1

No matter what you do, from a technical standpoint you must get the sound right.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds because "Sound is half of the experience."

It is the easiest thing to screw up because you can't see it.

Hire a Producer? With limited funds?

Can that Producer do what I think they can do?
With limited funds you will not be able to hire anyone. Change the
word “hire” to the words “work with”:

-Work with a DP
-Work with a soundy
-Work with an editor
-Work with a Producer

You want advice for the next steps;

1) learn about computers - you don’t need to be an expert.
2) learn about cameras and lights - you don’t need to be an expert
you can work with someone who knows more than you.
3) you’re right, you can learn about editing.
4) learn about getting financing.
5) jax is correct. You shouldn’t fool with the DGA or the Producers
Guild for a long time. Make ten short films and three features before
you even THINK about the DGA or the Producers Guild.

Why are you so set on starting at the top? This is where you are
making a huge mistake:
Such as getting my own camera just to start out with, the best way to learn lighting without spending the next 5 years in classrooms, getting PA's, getting locations, etc.
Why not spend the next five years learning? What will you do with
the next five years if you do not spend it learning lighting, getting
PA jobs, getting locations, etc.? Are you going to sit around and
dream of making movies or go out and make movies?

Why are YOU so special and different that you don't need to take
the time everyone else took?

Why not spend the next five years learning? What will you do with
the next five years if you do not spend it learning lighting, getting
PA jobs, getting locations, etc.? Are you going to sit around and
dream of making movies or go out and make movies?

Why are YOU so special and different that you don't need to take
the time everyone else took?

+1

I see so many people these days intent on making their first (or second) short an epic $10mil budget type film with only $200 and no experience or knowledge. I'm not really sure why.. I also see so many people who are so intent on wearing all the hats - Director, DP, Sound, Editing. If you want to be a DP, learn lighting. If you want to be an editor, learn editing. If you want to be a Director, learn a little bit about both, but as Rik says, you don't have to be an expert.
I've worked with a Director who didn't know the difference between a 5D and 35mm, but that doesn't mean the movie was bad - he knew he needed people in certain aspects he didn't know much about and so he approached people to help him - filmmaking is a collaboration.

I will go back to my lurk mode...

Don't deserve what I got here...trust me I won't ask anything more.

Y'all have yourselves a great time. I will get to where I want to go and WILL get there.

You can +1 this post by me.

Ironman1

I did not say anywhere about me being so "special" and expected to start at the top. Just a Newbie looking for advice.

Wrong Forum.

Ironman1
I apologize for offending you. Do you always just run away when a person
says something you don't like? I offered a lot of real, honest, respectful advice.
So did other people.

I will go back to my lurk mode...

Don't deserve what I got here...trust me I won't ask anything more.
You got honest, serious, thoughtful, respectful advice from everyone
here. Why do you feel you don't deserve that?

On the other hand, this may be the wrong forum for you. People here
are honest and to some people honesty is difficult to take. Sorry to see
you go so soon.

Yes, people on this forum can sometimes be harsh. That doesn't mean that you should desist from participating. If you think that it's harsh here at IndieTalk just wait until you start actually doing the things you dream about - the entertainment industry can be extremely cutthroat. Even at the low/no/mini/micro budget level you are going to encounter people who will do nothing but tell you that you can't, and some who will actively stand in your way. The people who succeed are the ones who can process the honest, tough criticisms and toss aside the garbage.

The reason you got the "special" comment was your above statement. It is almost impossible to learn anything without getting your hands dirty. The best way to learn lighting is to actually light something. The best way to secure locations is to get out there and secure locations. Etc., etc, etc.

I took piano and organ lessons beginning at age six. I wasn't a prodigy, but I was (and still am) talented. I practiced every day. I took theory classes. I listened to music endlessly. I went to concerts and clubs constantly. I read everything I could get my hands on. When I graduated high school I spent eight years working my way up the ladder - making contacts, working out, getting coaching, getting critiques from people I trusted and continuing to practice, practice, practice while playing with various bands and doing studio sessions - until I reached my goal of being a working musician. I would be there still if arthritis hadn't curtailed my career. I moved on to music engineering and sidled into audio post. And then it took me a number of years to achieve proficiency in that discipline.

And that's what it takes - DISCIPLINE. You must have a ruthless desire to learn and a hard driving work ethic in order to succeed. I'm still learning every single day, it never stops. And if being even moderately successful isn't hard enough, finding the balance to deal with all of the "mundane" B.S. that goes along with it - the business aspects and, of course, a real life that has to be dealt and enjoyed with as well - is even more difficult.

So get out there and be a PA on a few sets. If you're any good you'll get bumped up to a grip, or gaffer, or props, or set dresser, or hair & make-up, or wardrobe, or assistant director, or special effects, or boom-op, or camera operator, or DP/Cinematographer, or any one of the dozens other jobs on a film set. Then there are the dozens of post disciplines as well. That's not to mention all of the other necessary people like drivers and accountants and assistants of various stripes. If you want to be a director you need at the least a passing knowledge of how all these jobs are done.

So take the comments in the way they were intended and get out there and do the work.

"Life is meant for you to enjoy, but you won't enjoy it unless you pay for it with some good, hard work. This is one price that will never be marked down." - Harpo Marx

Last edited:
Back