• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Would anyone recomend doing an improv series?

This may be an odd question, or it might be so common that it's generally decided its a bad/something idea. What is your opinion on doing a series with improv, with some structuring? (This isn't related to my recent thread on how to finish a script, I swear) Seriously though, IF I can find people who actually want to participate, is it a bad idea? I'm assuming like most filming styles, it's really up to how things are done, how good the actors are, etc... I feel like it can provide a possibly more organic feeling. Now good writers can create that themselves, but I don't know if I'm a good enough of a writer, and people are hard to rely on. If they have their own characters they wholly create while filming, I think it will give them a better connection.

I would structure the series by giving it a general outline, a general direction, but letting the actors fill in the dialogue and personal conflicts, all while heading to a predeclared "goal" of the story. has anyone here ever filmed like that? Do you recommend it? Is it too messy? etc...

It's called "reality TV". Trust me, it's not "live". The characters are actors and have a structure around which they improvise. Many of these shows look real but most of those characters are actors. There is a segment of the Writer's Guild who script reality TV. And that's basically what you're suggesting. They create a few scenes for an episode arc and then let the actors improvise. The director will often help encourage the actors to make it seem more realistic.

It seems to work pretty well. :)

I'm going to be doing an "Improv" Series starting next week. It's kind of a mockumentary/parody on "Dual Survivors". It's going to be a lot of fun. As long as you have a structure for how you want the story to go, it might go well. We'll see.

Ugh, "reality TV". As unfortunate as it may be that technically what I aim to do is in the same ranks, my plans are very different. Haha

Good luck Josiah. you'll be posting it here right? Or at least a trailer or something?

Same here. People seem to like my comedy, even if it has traits of amateur cinematography.

I've always thought I have an eye for drama and more serious storylines, but everybody says comedy is my "thing".

Yeah. Probably not Black Comedy... although I have one in mind that blends King Arthur with chainsaws :)
But I'd probably keep my dark side and my light humorous side separate. Have you ever seen "Bad Taste"?

Back