Will I benefit from filmschool?

Hey fellow filmfriends!
Recently, i've been thinking a lot about whether I need filmschool, or not. As you all know, the fee for a 3 year education as a director is skyhigh.

As a 16 year old, I feel I master the basics of storytelling and film to be at my age. (writing a 90 minute feature to be shot with RED ONE at the moment. Managed to get my hands on 7-10 000$).

However, the reason I would go to filmschool would be networking, and of course, learn how the pros do it. I read A LOT of books, and learn a huuuge amount. I also have a few connections with some directors, and have some connections within the film industry. I want to know more about filmmaking, but feel I am able to simply read my way to the same knowledge, or analyze enough?

My biggest problem is this: How am I supposed to make film, which requires a tremendous amount of time, without starving in the process?

Will I benefit from filmschool? Or is there a way to succeed without doing so?
And say I go to filmschool, what happens next?

This is my plan, if I decide to go to filmschool:
I want to learn the mainstream american blockbuster way of directing a movie. This way I'll know exactly how to tell a story, and what needs to be done to present an idea for an audience.
When ive mastered this, i wanna break it apart, and make my own style. Which school would grant me this wish?

I know these are questions that'll probably sound stupid to some of you. But I really really wanna spend the rest of my life making movies, and telling stories :)

(UPDATE: the feature I'm working on just released a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dv-iayj0zU&feature=plcp )

Looking forward to hear from you,
Jarand B. Herdal

Last edited:
I said no to any type of school at the moment and it's going really well! We'll see if I still have this opinion in 1 or 2 years, but at the moment, I can't complain at all. Got a few jobs that involve travelling, and a pretty high calibre documentary in germany this september!

Judging by the trailer to your film, you'll find film school quite frustrating, given that most of your classmates will be fairly rich kids who've enjoyed watching a few films but have no practical experience (massive generalisation, I know).

This forum tends to sway towards the 'no film school' line of advice and I think that's probably right. But because you're in Europe, university is a hell of a lot cheaper and you really ought to do it. It doesn't matter whether you're studying film or anything else, you'll have a great time and you'll be employable afterwards. Win win!
Oh he's in Europe?? I don't know what the cost of school is out there and how well there economy is but in America it's horrible! Based on the skills the OP has he doesn't need film school!

I disagree with all who say resoundingly and vehemently that you should 'DEFINITELY NOT go to film school'. Usually these people have not been to film school themselves, and are sometimes quite jaded by the industry as a whole.

Actually there's a lot of people who went to film school but regret it and don't think they should have went. There's a lot of people who dropped out of film school because they did not like it.

Today you can get a new DSLR camera or prosumer camcorder for around $1,000-$5,000 that will give you a high quality picture.
What's the point if you don't know how to use it?

What do you mean what's the point if you don't know how to use it? A camcorder is pretty easy to use! There's the owners manual which comes with the camera. There's books and instructional DVD's you can buy for cheap that teach you about camera operations, the lens types and so on. You can easily browse the internet and learn. You learn though making films. Picking up a camera and going out and shooting something is how you learn!

A lot of these film schools even the top schools like NYU and USC use prosumer camcorders that are around this price range and these cameras are beat up because they have been used by a lot of students.
Perhaps in first year, but I've seen a whole bunch of USC grad stuff shot on 35mm, Red Epic, Red Scarlet etc. I know USC own a whole bunch of F3s, and are looking into purchasing some Red Epics. They also have some S16mm cameras, though film is being phased out there.

These student films you have seen that were shot on 35mm, Red Epic and Red Scarlett are you sure the student didn't get the camera loaned to them from someone or possibly rented the camera from a equipment rental store?

I've talked to people who went to USC over the last few years and they said the cameras used are prosumer cameras that are affordable.

IF YOU GO ON USC'S FILM SCHOOL WEBSITE AND LOOK AT THE PICTURES YOU WILL SEE THAT STUDENTS ARE USING PROSUMER CAMCORDERS! WATCH THE VIDEOS ON THE WEBSITE THE STUDENTS ARE USING PROSUMER CAMCORDERS IN THE VIDEOS!

On USC School of Cinematic Arts webpage they have a list of equipment that's available for student check out. Here's a list of the cameras they have:

(2) Sony F900H/3 (HD Cameras)
(17) Sony DSR-PD170 DVCAM camcorders
(50) Sony DSR-PD150 DVCam camcorders
(100) Sony DSR-PD100 DVCam camcorders
(30) Sony DSR-PDX10 DVCam camcorders
(11) Sony TRV-900 DV camcorders
(9) Sony VX-1000 DV camcorders
(8) Sony DSR-500 DVCam cameras
(5) Sony Betacam BVW-D600 cameras

The two Sony F900H and F3's at the top of the list are expensive cameras. All the other models are affordable prosumer cameras and I think there all really old cameras because I looked up the cameras on the internet and I could not find any that were selling for brand new I could only find them used which most likely means they have been discontinued, there not in production anymore so there pretty old cameras.

You could get Final Cut Pro X editing software for $300.
And learn to use software that will do you no use in the industry as professionals as a whole moved off it to Adobe or Avid.

The OP wants to be a director not an editor! If he wants he can buy Adobe Premiere editing software for $1,000. He can buy Avid Media Composer for $2,500! It's better than paying $60,000 a year to go to film school to use it! I'm simply telling him Final Cut Pro would be very good to make indie films that would later be submitted to major film festivals to show your talent and hopefully get noticed and break into the industry!

Most of these film schools use Final Cut Pro X.
No. USC for one uses full copies of Avid Media Composer.

I could go on Avid's website and buy Avid Media Composer for $2,500 instead of paying $60,000 a year to go to a film school to use it! Now your probably going to say "but if you don't go to film school you won't learn how to use it!" Well there's books and instructional DVD's that teach you how to use Avid!

James Cameron never went to film school he taught himself and he's pretty awesome. He has a lot of technical skills for someone who did not go to film school!

Today you can make a low budget feature length film for less than the cost of one semester at a university film program! Your making a low budget feature on a Red ONE camera for $7,000-$10,000
Or you could make a whole lot of short films at film school with real cameras, real lighting, real sound equipment, real editing equipment, and real crew, and end up with a finished product that's better than anything you could produce as a 'low budget feature' from a bunch of kids, or alternately you can be the DP yourself, rather than having to hire someone in because you have no idea how to make an image look good.

SHUT THE HECK UP NOW! I've seen a lot of short films made by USC film students and also NYU and UCLA film students and to tell you the truth I've seen tons of short films made for really cheap by people who did not go to film school that looked as good as these film school shorts some even better! I've seen low budget indie features made for less than the cost of a semester of film school that look as good as a film school short!

I graduated high school last June and decided to skip film school. Immediately after I graduated I got a full time job working for a landscaping company. I make $8 an hour and work 40 hours a week. When I graduated high school a little over a year ago I had really no money saved up and now I have $12,000 saved! I'm about to buy the basic equipment I need to make films. I'll go buy Avid Media Composer for $2,500 off Avid's website. SO IS THIS NOT REAL EDITING EQUIPMENT? I'll buy a Lowell lighting kit for $1,500 like what's used at USC. SO IS THIS NOT REAL LIGHTING EQUIPMENT? For $2,000 I'll get a high quality boom mic and recorder. IS THIS NOT REAL SOUND EQUIPMENT? I'll spend up to $5,000 on a prosumer camcorder and the camera will be the same quality of prosumer camcorders available for check out to students at these top film schools! NOT REAL EQUIPMENT? HAHA I'll make short films that are the same quality of the short films being made at USC and NYU except I'm making mine for a lot cheaper! These students are spending $60,000 a year when I spent around $10,000 for the basic equipment I need and this equipment I'll have will be the same quality of equipment being used at these top film schools!

Christopher Nolan didn't go to film school. His first feature film was an indie called Following. He made it for $6,000 and it did well at film festivals and then an independent producer financed Nolan's next film called Memento which did really well and he went to Hollywood!

Robert Rodriguez barely went to film school he dropped out and at 23 years old he made his first feature for $7,000 which was an indie called El Mariachi and it did well at film festivals got his talent noticed and he went to Hollywood!

Kevin Smith dropped out of Vancouver Film School after spending a very short time there. At 23 years old he made his first feature for $25,000 that was an indie called Clerks and it did well at film festivals got him noticed and he went to Hollywood!

Oren Peli did not go to film school and he made Paranormal Activity for $15,000 and it did very well at film festivals and he went to Hollywood!

So go talk some more smack about low budget films and no real equipment!

The truth is most film school grads do not end up with there dream job. Most film school students are unemployed after they graduate
You mean most people in general, and it does not matter whether they went to college or not.

Well what I'm trying to say is that the film industry is risky! Going to film school is a big risk because there's a good chance you won't get into the film industry at a above the line job or a good paying below the line job. So what happens when you end up not getting in the industry and have $100,000 or more in student loan debt and a Bachelor's degree in film production which does not have much value? Your really going to struggle a lot!

The smart thing people should be doing is getting a Bachelors degree in a real major and do filmmaking on the side and then if they don't get a good job in the film industry then they have a good backup they at least will have a degree in something that can actually take them some place!

Some end up unemployed for years!
As do many high school grads

Your missing the point! Would you rather be an unemployed filmmaker with $100,000 or more in student loan debt or be an unemployed filmmaker with no student loan debt? I don't know about you but I rather be an unemployed filmmaker with no student loan debt!

With a high school diploma you could get a job as a production assistant and build great connections thru the job!
Just as you could out of film school, and in fact possibly while you're still in film school. Except then you'd have connection with your teachers, lecturers, industry professionals and your fellow classmates. I constantly get calls from my old classmates and even my old professors asking me to work on this or that project that they're shooting or directing

Again your missing the point! The point is you can get a job as a Production Assistant and other jobs in the industry without going to film school and having $100,000 or more in student loan debt! I rather be a PA who did not go to film school and has no debt than be a PA who went to film school and has $100,000 or more in loan debt! The main point is you can get a low paying entry level job in the industry that will help you build connections without having to go to film school and build up a lot of student loan debt!

There's a lot of top Hollywood directors who did not attend film school
And here are a list of noteable Hollywood professionals who did attend film school, either in an undergraduate or postgraduate type course:
Judd Apatow
Ron Howard
Doug Liman
George Lucas
Bryan Singer
Lee Unkrich
Robert Zemeckis
Darren Aronofsky
David Lynch
Terrence Malick
Francis Ford Coppola
Alexander Payne
Jeff Cronenweth
William Fraker
Conrad Hall
Janusz Kaminski
Wally Pfister
Gore Verbinski

etc etc etc.

Well the BEST directors of all time did not attend film school like Stanley Kubrick, Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford! Out of the top 10 directors of all time less than half went to film school.

There are arguments for both sides of the coin, but film school does more for you than just have you make a film. Which is why I disagree with the arguments that say 'but just make your own on a DSLR and it'll be just like film school but better!' (paraphrasing a little ) because that's completely untrue.

For what film school does for $60,000 a year I'll definitely pass!

Last edited:
You learn through the experience of actually making a movie. Film school provides you the same basic tips and "how to's" that you can find online for free.

Actually there's a lot of people who went to film school but regret it and don't think they should have went. There's a lot of people who dropped out of film school because they did not like it.
Some, yes. But it's not too difficult to get out of it what you need to get out of it. Recommending someone 'definitely' do one thing or another is not good, as everyone is different. A lot of people benefit from film school. A lot of people don't. That doesn't make it an invalid option, and there are plenty of working industry professionals who will tell you that they benefitted from it. Hell, even myself - if I hadn't gone to film school I'd probably be working a full or part time job for low pay to try and save up for equipment and then I'd buy equipment and try and make short films on the weekends when I have time. Instead, I have a really good Cinematography reel, and am employed regularly as both Cinematographer and Camera Assistant (and recently Gaffing) on all sorts of shoot from shorts to features to corporates.

That's not to say you can't do that without film school, but personally I don't know that I really could've. And that's the truth - I don't know. I don't think I could've, but who knows. I certainly feel it would've taken longer for me to get to the poitn I am now.

These student films you have seen that were shot on 35mm, Red Epic and Red Scarlett are you sure the student didn't get the camera loaned to them from someone or possibly rented the camera from a equipment rental store?
USC (afaik) will fund part of your graduate film, as will some other film schools around the world.

I've talked to people who went to USC over the last few years and they said the cameras used are prosumer cameras that are affordable.
The list is old. I was at USC only a few weeks ago, and saw the F3s they had, saw the Sony EX1s they had, and saw the ads for the old PD150s they were selling off for $200. From what I heard talking to some of the staff, they're looking at purchasing Red Epic packages after the Summer School used rented packages. Not sure if your idea of affordable is an F3 or F900, but anyway. They also have Arri S's, , SR2s, Aaton LTRs and quite a lot of other camera equipment, I couldn't tell you the extent of it tbh. They also have a full range of other lighting equipment etc. etc. etc.
My film school now has an Alexa, and is looking at buying a second, as well as industry-standard broadcast cams, SR3s, XTRs etc. Others have Red Epics and Scarlets, etc. etc.

James Cameron never went to film school he taught himself and he's pretty awesome. He has a lot of technical skills for someone who did not go to film school!
Never said you must go to film school, in fact I said there are many who do and many who don't. One shouldn't discount it just because others don't like it.

I've seen a lot of short films made by USC film students and also NYU and UCLA film students and to tell you the truth I've seen tons of short films made for really cheap by people who did not go to film school that looked as good as these film school shorts some even better! I've seen low budget indie features made for less than the cost of a semester of film school that look as good as a film school short!
And I've seen indie features made more more than the cost of an entire film school education that look like sh*t, and heard reports from the set that it was a nightmare to work on because the Director had no concept on how a real film shoot should run. I've seen student films that look amazing and student films that look terrible. I've seen low budgets that look amazing and I've seen the crap that goes on YouTube. So what? I never said you have to go to film school to do anything. For some people it's great.

I graduated high school last June and decided to... [snip] I spent around $10,000 for the basic equipment I need and this equipment I'll have will be the same quality of equipment being used at these top film schools!
That's great. I'm happy for you, I'm glad you're doing what you want with your life. Does that mean that's what everyone will/should do? No, of course not. Not to mention that for $10,000 you've got equipment. Now what about locations, Set Dressings and everything else that goes into a film. Here's one thing that you don't seem to understand: film school is not just about making a film. You do make a lot of films and you crew on a lot of films. But it's about the contacts you make, the people you meet, the attitude it breeds in you, the way of working, and everything else. And yes, some people won't make the contacts and get the attitude etc. and will just coast through and say 'why did I do that?' and others will make the most of it. No one way is the right way, but you shouldn't discount a way into the industry simply because you don't like it for yourself.

Well what I'm trying to say is that the film industry is risky! Going to film school is a big risk because there's a good chance you won't get into the film industry at a above the line job or a good paying below the line job. So what happens when you end up not getting in the industry and have $100,000 or more in student loan debt and a Bachelor's degree in film production which does not have much value? Your really going to struggle a lot!
Yeah, it is risky. What happens when you get a call for your big break on a Hollywood set as an unpaid Production Intern and you can't take it because you have a paying full time job? Very few people make it to high paying below-the-line jobs and even less make it to above the lilne at all. Does that mean we shouldn't do it? Of course not. I make a comfortable living doing what I do, and I work doing what I want to do for the rest of my life. For me, this is a career. For yourself, at the moment it is a hobby you do in your spare time (That's not to take away from it and the passion you have for it, merely to say that it is not the source of your income). That's not to say that you can't or won't eventually make it into your career, but for me personally the reason this is my career now and not simply my hobby is because I went to film school.

The smart thing people should be doing is getting a Bachelors degree in a real major and do filmmaking on the side and then if they don't get a good job in the film industry then they have a good backup they at least will have a degree in something that can actually take them some place!
IMO, having a backup is pointless. Why waste your time on a three year degree doing something you don't really like that much just as a 'backup'? To succeed at film, it has to be the only thing you could possibly be doing with your life. You need to have that burning passion, and often you need to have the availability to take that amazing chance job, otherwise you'll do something as a 'backup' and end up just having film as your personal hobby because you become too comfortable with the money.
I'm not saying everyone is like this but I've seen it happen a lot.

Your missing the point! Would you rather be an unemployed filmmaker with $100,000 or more in student loan debt or be an unemployed filmmaker with no student loan debt? I don't know about you but I rather be an unemployed filmmaker with no student loan debt!
I'd rather be an employed filmmaker :)
I'd also rather be a crew member/filmmaker who works for low pay, than someone who works full time and does film on the side, but that's just me :) I'd rather live hand to mouth and work on film sets, than live comfortably and never set foot on a real set again.

Well the BEST directors of all time did not attend film school like Stanley Kubrick, Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford! Out of the top 10 directors of all time less than half went to film school.
Apart from the fact that your idea of best, whilst admirable and they are great Directors, is very very personal, you're talking generally about a time when film school either wasn't around/didn't exist, or wasn't in the proliferation it is now.

You learn through the experience of actually making a movie. Film school provides you the same basic tips and "how to's" that you can find online for free.
This is also untrue.

Just to clarify, when I was about to graduate high school, I had the exact same thoughts about whether it was worth it or not. I didn't even go to the very best film school in my area, but I went to a damn good one, and I'm glad I did.
It's not for everyone, but there's certainly a hell of a lot of people who benefit and have benefitted from it.

Last edited:
I think it's really good that Jax is providing such a detailed counter argument.

Given that this is an indie film forum, it's no surprise that most people here are indie filmmakers who either do it as a hobby or who are scraping together big dreams out of nothing. That's fine but I think it gives the impression that that's what the industry is looking for. The big jobs (and even the little ones now) in Hollywood, and in any other major productions, will want you to either have film school under your belt, or have interned or apprenticed with notable people. It's all about contacts and skills- can you really get both of these without film school? Professional, union filmmaking is a very different kettle of fish to the indie filmmaking that most of us are engaged in.

Filmmaking is a skilled profession. We take it for granted that a lawyer should have a law degree, that an accountant ought to have some sort of accountancy qualification, that a journalist ought to have an English BA...etc. Why should film be treated any differently?

I stoped reading this debate after the first page. But dude I am in the same situation. I dont have a amazing movie like that but I dont know if I should go to film school or not. But seriously that trailer is AMAZING!!!

Filmmaking is a skilled profession. We take it for granted that a lawyer should have a law degree, that an accountant ought to have some sort of accountancy qualification, that a journalist ought to have an English BA...etc. Why should film be treated any differently?

Because lawyers do not deal in creativity. One does not need film school, it can only benefit a little, the biggest benefit being introduced to others who share your dreams and aspirations, that are likely on the same level as you.

I am definitely not regretting going to film school. We have industry professionals (grads from this program). People from the program I am in have found work all over the industry. Like every industry Film is hard to get into, but you don't need to know someone to start, at least in Canada, you just have to start applying and eventually someone will give oyu a shot as a PA and then odds are if you are good you will get a call back and then you can move into the Union and then move on from there.

I go to Confederation College in Thunder Bay Ontario, a publicly funded college and had a RED ONE, a number of prosumer Cameras (HVX, AF-100), ARRI SR2's ARRI SR1s, and Aton, and now an ARRI Alexa.

They are, as far as I am aware, the only College in Ontario, if not Canada, that has an Alexa for use by the Students, provided the project is deemed good enough.

I have learnt far more in my first year then I could possibly of thought to learn in 8 months of reading books and trying to find people to shoot shorts with shitty lighting and bad sound.

~Thanato

This thread never dies. 4 years of schooling is for real majors for people who want to be doctors, scientists, etc. 4 years of film school at USC? No way. 6 months to a 1 year is as far as anyone should ever go. I agree that this is a rich person's "field".

Surely the most important question here is what will the degree get you in terms of jobs?

I'm sure you learn a hell of a lot from film school and can really boost your skills, and equip you with the right knowledge and skills, but what I am interested in is that is there anyone here who has gone to film school (or know anyone) who has come out and is earning a comfortable wage, able to pay off the debt, and have secure work in the industry?

By going to film school, are you more likely to achieve this than someone who hasnt? If not, then whats the point

Surely the most important question here is what will the degree get you in terms of jobs?

I'm sure you learn a hell of a lot from film school and can really boost your skills, and equip you with the right knowledge and skills, but what I am interested in is that is there anyone here who has gone to film school (or know anyone) who has come out and is earning a comfortable wage, able to pay off the debt, and have secure work in the industry?

By going to film school, are you more likely to achieve this than someone who hasnt? If not, then whats the point

Well, talking to both Recent (as of last year) and past Grads of my program many of them are making comfortable livings in the Industry, as Lighting Technicians, Grips, Camera, Directors. Yes Film school is not required to Get into the Industry however it is a good way to break into it via contacts. Also many film related jobs (corporate etc) like you to have that piece of paper that says you know what you are doing.

~Thanato

Quite possibly yes, or at least quicker than those who don't.

It really depends on what part of the industry you're looking at. In corporate type gigs (ie the video guy at x company) they prefer you to have a degree and in some cases require you to have a degree.
In the industry of making narrative film on a professional level, of course you don't have to have a degree, but that degree can help you meet the people that will be your future employers. Help put you and your work in front of people who matter and can put you into work.

I also find it can sometimes allow you to climb up the ranks quicker. Straight out of film school I was picked up on a feature as 1st AC. I couldnt've done that straight out of high school - I'd probably still be working as a PA, or at least have only moved up to 2nd AC, if I had even figured out that camera department is where my real passion lay. I have friends who were in my year level who are now working as 1st ADs. Had they not gone to film school, they might still only be working as 2nd ADs or even 2nd 2nd ADs.
In my experience, it's rare for someone to have climbed up to a major set role 3 years out of high school without film school, but it's not all too uncommon to see film school graduates who have been there for three years and in some cases only three years out of high school in pretty decent crew positions on all sorts of productions. At leas in my local industry.

I mean the kid already made his decision. So why dont we stop arguing over if film school is good or not

This is why.

Indietalk is one of the top resources on the web for this sort of question and it's good to present a balanced and comprehensive discussion of the issue. Not everyone who is wondering about this question will create an account, many will just read the existing threads on the issue. I think there's nothing wrong with continuing to debate the merits of film school versus heading straight into the world of film.

Back