Wide lens for Rebel t2i

I've jumped ship. I just sold my Sony VX2100, so that I can afford to buy the Rebel t2i. This was a rather scary move for me, but logic is telling me it was a common-sense decision.

Anyway, I'm completely new to DSLR. First issue I'd like to figure out -- lenses. I totally don't understand them. The camera I'm purchasing comes bundled with an 18-55mm lens. The shoot I have planned, I know for sure that I'm going to need a good wide-angle. As I understand it, 28mm is wide. 20mm is ultra-wide.

But the regular old lens that comes bundled is 18-55? Wouldn't that give it a range wider than ultra-wide? Of course, I'm missing something; there's something I don't get. Could someone please explain to me what I it is I've missed in this equation?

Also, at the time being, I only plan to purchase a good wide lens, and some decent filters. But maybe there's something I haven't thought of. Is there any essential element that a miniDV convert like myself wouldn't have thought of? For the shoot I have planned, I have no need whatsoever for any macro.

wheatgrinder, I checked out the XLR adapters you mentioned, and I've decided to skip that option. I've actually used the Zoom H4n before, operating boom on a friends' project. It sounds good, it's less expensive than the XLR adapters, and it frees my camera from connected cables. I'll gladly sync in post, in exchange for all that. Thanks again for the input.

Yeah, id got that route too..and likely will, that H4n looks sweet.. (watch out for the earlier version.. the h4.. its not half as good, I dont know, just tellin ya what I heard)

Post some test footage... its fun to learn vicariously..

Back