• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Why is everybody making Horror films?

Because they can be smart, entertaining, and interesting. Horror is a popular genre that is also very profitable. The reason I have made horror films before is because I like to scare people and be scared.

Because they can be smart, entertaining, and interesting. Horror is a popular genre that is also very profitable. The reason I have made horror films before is because I like to scare people and be scared.

I think any genre can be smart, entertaining and interesting... but you're right, they are very profitable. lol I think I've seen one of your films. I liked it!

Horror is also easily sold in most markets. Good, professionally made horror always sells in North America, Europe, and Asia, and is also popular in South America. If you are going to make a movie and want maximum return, you make what people are buying. The late 80s boom of cheapo horror flicks made to go directly to VHS was in response to simple numbers----video store customers rented a lot of horror movies, and back then did not care if name actors were in them, so profit was easy.

exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread subject. working on one right now!

Asian Horror flicks are so cerebral! they use psychology to the letter. VHS and S-VHS are two of my favorite horror films from America right now.

exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread subject. working on one right now!

Asian Horror flicks are so cerebral! they use psychology to the letter. VHS and S-VHS are two of my favorite horror films from America right now.

I'll check out VHS, thanks for the recommendation! Good luck on your film!

So many horror films suck nowadays. Mostly cause they like gore and womens bodies, but don't really care that much about good story and character development. I didn't like V/H/S cause of the numerous plot holes in it.

So many horror films suck nowadays. Mostly cause they like gore and womens bodies, but don't really care that much about good story and character development. I didn't like V/H/S cause of the numerous plot holes in it.

I know what you mean Harmonica. They're more like situations than actually well told stories.

True but it's more than that. The characters are usually teenagers, to the point where it's beyond cliche, and usually they are badly written teenagers in my opinion as well.

True but it's more than that. The characters are usually teenagers, to the point where it's beyond cliche, and usually they are badly written teenagers in my opinion as well.

You should make a horror film! I say fix what you feel needs to be fixed!

I agree 100%. In all my scripts, I never follow the typical horror clichés at all. I never have any cheap jump scares, and if the film contains teenage characters, I always try to make them likeable for the most part. It may make my characters a bit more dull, but so many movies fail by trying to differentiate the character types.

Ex-juvenile delinquent, the virgin 'final girl,' her nice-guy, attractive love interest, and the female whore all going on a road trip together doesn't make much sense to me.

You know what might be a different idea for a horror movie. Instead of having the final girl, be a sexually innocent girl, like so many have done, just have the sluttiest girl make it out alive, and all the virgins get killed. Don't know if it's an really good idea, but it's something different. But I guess Cherry Falls was kind of like that.

Last edited:
You know what might be a different idea for a horror movie. Instead of having the final girl, be a sexually innocent girl, like so many have done, just have the sluttiest girl make it out alive, and all the virgins get killed. Don't know if it's an really good idea, but it's something different. But I guess Cherry Falls was kind of like that.

Ahh... C'mon Harmonica. What happened to character development with a good story?

What would you say of a short horror film like this? It's an Australian short called "CARGO." http://youtu.be/gryenlQKTbE

Back