• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Why does 24fps look choppy?

It doesn't show up on youtube or a smaller screen but 24 fps does look choppy when blown up. Basically the room vibrates when I pan and tilt the camera. It only happens on 24p though. Is this okay, or do is this a DSLR thing that I need to do something in post to look more professional?

Last edited:
It's a Sony, and I think it's this one, or at least it looks a lot like this one:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=sony+...dsp=47&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:120&tx=105&ty=123

Sony FX7? I'd call that a prosumer handycam or camcorder.
It employs CMOS sensors, so yes it is also be subject to the jello effect.

Even RED and Alexa cameras are subject to jello to an extent, as they both use CMOS sensors. Both camera systems employ complex electronics to reduce the effect, but I've seen it there on both, more noticeably on RED.

I use a pair of hair binders (opposing one another to create back tension on the move for more control)... with my fluid head for certain situations... not for following action, but for smooth unidirectional pans / tilts that need to start and stop smoothly, this works well. I will never dismiss any tool from my toolkit, there will always be something that comes up on set that calls for exactly that one goofy solution you thought you'd never find yourself using.

I take back what I said... it made my pan worse.

Oppose the force equally between two thick hair binders... pull apart.

Loosen the tension slightly on one of the binders and it will move toward the other as the tension tries to equalize itself.. keep the tensions playing against each other to steer the pan/tilt.

my pans weren't too bad to begin with, i think my tripod just needs some oil or grease, cuz every now and then itll stick (but i dont pan enough with the tripod to care)

But a lot of pro movies do fast pans while shooting at 24p. Like even Sam Raimi has done movies like that for example. So is it acceptable on my camera, the T2i then? What if I want to do a fast one for effect?

I think someone in this thread has already suggested this, but I'll reiterate: Why not do your pan nice and slow, then speed it up as much as you desire in post? That way there are no rolling shutter issue and you'll have full control over the pan speed when editing your footage. You can even try it at different speeds to see what works best.

I think someone in this thread has already suggested this, but I'll reiterate: Why not do your pan nice and slow, then speed it up as much as you desire in post? That way there are no rolling shutter issue and you'll have full control over the pan speed when editing your footage. You can even try it at different speeds to see what works best.

Well in my opinion, if you speed it up in post it looks cheesy, as oppose to on set. It has a different look to it that comes off as unnatural and cheesy looking. Especially if it's an action scene with a person in the shot. You can tell that the person is moving too fast and it has that look that skips ahead. I could try 1/30 and see.

Better Tripod and a few hours of nothing but panning practice would behoove you. Panning is a skill that you develop to get it to look the way you see it in your head. All of these techniques are nothing other than choices without practice. In karate, we spent days just learning to walk forward correctly. Hips parallel to the ground throughout the movement, legs compress toward the middle of the step, then explode outward through the remainder of the step. Thousands of repetitions. At the end, the muscles just do it right rather than having to think through it. Practice these techniques and your jerkiness that you're seeing will go away. Work on smooth, don't expect it to happen magically. None of techniques will get you what you want without practice.

Okay thanks. Just so long as I can pan fast without it looking too bad. Here's a test shot:

http://youtu.be/0NrxlGExN9I

I don't see jello so far and I did other test shots, but I will do more tests. But I want to achieve fast shots like that for this project. I will get a DP but so far the DPs I have met haven't had much experience in shooting action scenes, and have to test just as much as I do on some of these shots.

Last edited:
I can see it, but I was looking for it. Was that sped up?

Low budget filmmaking is a series of compromises - if you want to pan that fast, you have to live with the rolling shutter effect. If you don't want the rolling shutter effect, then you have to pan slower.

Can't have your cake and eat it too when you don't have the money to buy a fork ;)

Last edited:
I can see it, but I was looking for it. Was that sped up?

Low budget filmmaking is a series of compromises - if you want to pan that fast, you have to live with the rolling shutter effect. If you don't want the rolling shutter effect, then you have to pan slower.

Can't have your cake and eat it to when you don't have the money to buy a fork ;)

No it's not sped up that's me running. I was planning on running faster in the shots I want like that though.

Back