Why do you think the festivals weren't into this?

Nice job WS! Very intense.

As for your question, I don't think anyone really has the answer to that one. I've been turned down by a ton of festivals. Sometimes it's language, sometimes it's partial nudity. I think that the most important thing to remember about festivals is that the first person to view your film will probably be a volunteer who "loves" films. Never made one. And doesn't realize that films can talk more than entertain. But really loved that Napoleon Dynamite. Then IF they pass your film, it goes to another volunteer. If it passes there too, then maybe it goes to someone associated with the festival...but that's a problem too, as many festivals are run by film "lovers" not filmmakers, so it's back to the entertainment value. And if one of those three didn't like it, it's the trash can for sure.

Sometimes I think that the movies that make you a little uncomfortable are the hardest sell for festivals. Maybe that's what happened to yours. But if I knew for sure, I'd be too busy to tell you, as I'd be at the festivals right now being famous!

Anyway, that's all my opinion. I'm probably dead wrong about festivals. Yeah right.

Chris

P.S. I'm not bitter and twisted about festivals either. Oh, no, actually I am bitter and twisted. Sorry.

Directorik, I put it into all the major festivls.. Cannes, Sundance, Telluride, ec. But also into smaller ones like Palm Springs. The only places it got any love was Austin and Flickerfest and St Kilda in Australia. After all the work, it feels like a bit of a shame.

Also, the small number of agents i've shown it too have not been so into it. Agents who have accepted other directors with one terrible short film, but haven't gone for me based on this. Ok... i am a little bitter and twisted. I'm just not sure what is wrong with it.

Anyway, cibao is probably right. Maybe its like that for most things. Maybe just need some luck.

Thanx guys.

I don't know what to say. It's beautifully shot...technically gorgeous. The acting is superb...and most importantly it had a very powerful story, and I felt for the characters.

I don't know why it's not being accepted. It's a good time limit, looks great, well written, well acted...

hmmm...

I don't know. Good luck. I really liked it.

Wow, that is a kick-ass short film! Brilliant job, mates!

Try submitting it to the Toronto International Film Festival or The Afterdark Film Festival if you can, just so I can see it on a big screen! What an amazing flick!

I just sat on a jury for a film festival at the beginning of the year.

To correct any misconceptions -- our jury was made up of industry professionals, not VOLUNTEERS who "just love movies".

I, myself, am an award-winning professional screenwriter and producer of independent films.

I watched your film, wankersmurf. I agree with the others, it had a strong story and great acting, and for the most part was beautifully shot.

However, it would have landed in my "maybe" pile. Not a resounding yes, and not a resounding no, but a big MAYBE.

The reason being:

The camera work is not up to par in certain places. I can pinpoint every single scene in which you used a hand-held camera. Those scenes are shaky and not shot well -- it's almost like the cameramans hands "tremor" and it shows on the screen.

Basically, it would have landed in my "maybe" pile strictly for that reason.

At the end of the day, after we have selected the resounding YES films, we would go back and view the "maybes" again -- and have a group discussions on why we like it, or why we didn't.

All the MAYBES are then screened against each other -- with points added up -- those at the top are accepted, those at the bottom are not.

You have to understand this:

Getting into a film festival (or not getting in, for that matter) can come down to points value of your film.

I've had to decline people's films because the competition beat them by only a half of a point.

That's how close these competitions can be. I can not reiterate enough about making sure your film is perfect, in every way.

Just my two cents for the day, all.

Wow, thanx for the input guys. Spatula, i did submit it to both festivals and i didn't get into either. :huh:

Also a big thank you to highdeafproductions. Really appreciate you going through what you look for. Its sometimes frustrating that the short film makers never get to get specific feedback on the films.

Not trying to be defensive, but the film was ALL shot hand held, not specific scenes. The "shaky" look was chosen on purpose to make you feel like a participant, not a passive observer. The Bourne films did it so i thought it was safe territory. Its funny this would be seen as unprofessional rather than stylistic. Perhaps it is better not to try any sort of "different" approach if you want to get into festivals. Food for thought.

I realize the "shaky" was intended, it just went a little overboard. (only my opinion)

There is a fine line between what looks good on a big screen, and what does not.

In the Bourne films, it worked.

In Blair Witch Project, it did not. (remember all the complaints from audience members that it made them "nauseous" while watching because of the shaky camera)

I watched your film on a big screen (computer hooked up to one) and on the screen, the "shakiness" was really apparent and pulled me right out of the story.

Again, however, this was only my opinion.

And I truly did enjoy the story and acting.

Good luck with it!

High Deaf - Are you speaking for the festival that you were a part of or every single festival in the world? Are you saying that there is not a film festival that doesn't have professionals reviewing the films? Because if you are, you're wrong.

Chris

The Bourne films did it so i thought it was safe territory. Its funny this would be seen as unprofessional rather than stylistic. Perhaps it is better not to try any sort of "different" approach if you want to get into festivals. Food for thought.
Sometimes what works well in major studio films doesn't go over well
in short films. The people who program festivals are very often looking
for "different". Using a technique used in a major studio production
isn't really seen as "different".

There is no way to know why films don't get chosen for festivals. I can
say in my experience it's never about the personal taste of the viewers.
I have been in the "first line" of the process several times and the festivals
I've been involved with make that very, very clear. The choose people
with different tastes and we are instructed to view potential entries with
an open mind. Then each film is seen by several people so cibao's scenario
can't - or rarely - happens.

I agree with the others - it's an excellent film. Looks great, sounds great,
fine acting, very intense. If I were watching this for a festival spot my only
negative comment would have been the use of the stylistic "shaky" look
to make the viewer feel like a participant, not a passive observer is so overused
these days that it pulled me out of the story rather than making me feel
part of the story.

That is an interesting point: because the technique is over used it pulled you out of the film where as highdeafproductions said that he thought the cinematography was off and that is why it wouldn't get in. But it seems the camera work was not festival material. Again this is surprising as it was shot by Oscar winning DP Russell Boyd. Not that this means it should get in, just that this is as good as hand-held might get. And to honest, I thought that the camera work would be the last thing that would stop it from getting in.

Although it is a different medium, I actually shoot a lot of my commercial work handheld and I've never had anyone have a problem with it.

These three are hand held and have all gone on to win advertising awards:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0QmgTNzwTw&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv0V2sArIw8&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuZ6Qa6GdI0&feature=channel_page

Again, none of this is meant to be defensive, i'm just discussing. AND I understand that commercials are a different format.

If i want to get into festivals, do you think it is best that i don't make my next short film hand-held? It is pretty easy not to do it.

Again, thank you for your input.

If i want to get into festivals, do you think it is best that i don't make my next short film hand-held? It is pretty easy not to do it.
There is no way to know why films don't get chosen for festivals. I doubt
very much that the hand held shots had anything to do with your movie
not getting in. I doubt very much that if your next movie is shot entirely
on a tripod it will mean you get into festivals.

You've entered all the big ones - the fests that get over 3,500 short film
submissions. Now it's time to enter the smaller ones.

Making the movie turns out to be the easy part, doesn't it? Getting it out
there to an audience is much more difficult.

Wow, thanx for the input guys. Spatula, i did submit it to both festivals and i didn't get into either. :huh:

Also a big thank you to highdeafproductions. Really appreciate you going through what you look for. Its sometimes frustrating that the short film makers never get to get specific feedback on the films.

Not trying to be defensive, but the film was ALL shot hand held, not specific scenes. The "shaky" look was chosen on purpose to make you feel like a participant, not a passive observer. The Bourne films did it so i thought it was safe territory. Its funny this would be seen as unprofessional rather than stylistic. Perhaps it is better not to try any sort of "different" approach if you want to get into festivals. Food for thought.

And no offense meant to anyone but that's EXACTLY why a lot of decent films can't make it into festivals...

filmy

As a beginner/amateur indie filmmaker who is only in pre-production on my first short, and as a long time filmophile, with a lot of film production and history and trivia "book knowledge", but no actual experience or formal training, take this constructive criticism as you will.

Your film is not bad, but it's not good. It's more or less okay. Maybe better than that. At least I didn't feel like I wasted 10 minutes of my life that I will never get back like I do on most indie shorts. (every time I start to click on a link I feel dread anymore) And that's saying something. I kind of liked it.

There are those who say that, any time you use, or have to use, voice over on a film, you have failed. And there is quite a bit of truth to that. It's not an absolute rule. But it is a very good rule of thumb. Ideally, you should never use voice over.

Also ideally, in a film, you are supposed to show, not tell. That is, don't tell me what happened, or is happening, or is about to happen, or explain stuff I need to know for it all to make sense, especially through voice over. Show me, and also use dialogue when necessary. So you failed in that respect.

The story line is basically okay. (for what it was, taking into account the comments above) The dialogue is so-so. The acting is okay. The action is pretty good. The special effects were good. The sound quality was good, which is 50% +/- of a film. The music was okay, if not good. The filming in general was okay to good. (technical and technique) The image quality was good or very good. (it looks like you shot it on film, which would be my guess, per the look and also the credits)

The lighting was pretty poor, imo. You could say that the darkness was what you were trying to achieve, and it was a style, and it created the atmosphere you wanted. But you can light scenes and still have that effect. You did not achieve that here. It looked like you didn't light it correctly. (sometimes looking not lighted at all) Better lighting, good lighting, would have made a big difference in the final equation. (but not enough)

But, regardless, the film still fails because of the voice over flashback sequences. Again, that is a choice, and a style, but not one I personally like, and if it is not done very well, and "correctly" (sparingly?), you've got big problems. And that's what I see here.

Maybe I missed it, but if I knew it was his daughter talking before the end of the film, that might have made it better. Or even some voice over, but very little. And more storytelling. From beginning to end.

So I would doubt that you could re-cut it and edit it to make it (much) better than what you've got. I'm guessing you would have to pretty much re-shoot the whole film. Or a bunch of missing scenes to fill it out in the beginning and lead us along through the story "properly". Which would make it a longer film. Which maybe you did not want to do or could not do because of costs, time, resources, etc. Or maybe that was the plan all along.

So it is a learning experience. Not too painful or expensive, I hope. At least you didn't completely fail, which is something I dread. Putting all of that time and energy and money and everything else into a film and then coming up with something that you don't (or shouldn't) want to show to anyone. That would suck majorly.

Them's my two cents. Keep up the good work. If you can do this, you can, more likely than not, make really good films. That would be my guess. And I would bet your next one will be better. Probably much better.

Back