Why call it "film" when you're using digital?

During our thesis proposal, we all wrote in our papers that we would be doing a "short film". My professor said that we should change it to "short narrative video" instead since none of us would really use film to shoot. He does have a point, I mean why call it "full length film" or "short film" if you're not even going to use film? Just an observation.

The term 'film' refers to a movie...the format is irrelevant. And it's going to become even more irrelevent as time passes, because actual celluloid's days are numbered. It's the context of how you use it...if you want to be clear, be clear...

Saying we shouldn't use the term 'film' for a digital movie is just plain pompous.

Words take on new meanings, as has been stated. If you're shooting to harddrive you still say "Rolling!"

Now turn your project in as a short film, and tell your professor about this thread ;)

Lol. Nicole had a good laugh when I said 'pop' while I was packing up for the pepsi commercial.

Personally, I love those little differences between regions. And I love learning new ones.

We say "pop" in Seattle, too. Having moved around, I've decided the most commonly-agreed-upon generic term is "soda".

Anyway, as far as "film"/"filmmaker" is concerned, I think it's safe to say we're pretty close to consensus. A few of you might recall that my first post to this forum was along the same lines. I used to call myself videographer, because I thought that was more technically correct. I changed my mind because I got tired of confused looks. Tell a layperson that you're a videographer and they don't exactly know what you mean. Tell them you're a filmmaker -- instant recognition.

There are parts of the South, where the following conversation makes perfect sense:

- Hey, you want a Coke?

- Yeah, that'd be great.

- What kind?

- Sprite.

I met a PA just today who was trying to explain this to us. :huh:

...but back to the OP...

My professor said that we should change it to "short narrative video" instead since none of us would really use film to shoot.

Your professor sounds really uptight, and should chill out some.

No one important really cares what it was shot on, just whether it's good or not.

This.

Like, x 11ty Brazillion times, that above right up there.

I mean heck, I'm a big lover, staunch defender, and stubborn user of the photochemical stuff and even I don't make the distinction like the professor in the OP. "It's not a film because it wasn't shot on film." Pffft. Get stuffed.

Choose the format that:

A: Fits the content.
B: Gets the job done.

Also love when we're running solid state media and the director (usually Brits, or have worked there) calls for the camera to "Turn Over," and then the operators replies with "Turning!" :)

Back