White Room Effect

For a short film I've planned, one of the scenes will (hopefully) be shot and set in an all white room. However, I don't really know how to achieve this. I've had a look around the internet and found that either using green/blue screen is the best option, or basically decorating the room in white.

So basically, I'm just wondering as to whether anyone here has ever done and tried make an all white room, and would be very appreciative of any advice that anyone might have as to going about this. Thanks

by white room do you mean the room that "Extends into infinity"?

Morpheus-White-Room.jpg

Here is little How-to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_iLW0RbbUY

oh man that's a lot of light haha, could be do-able though, although would need to be able to shoot from different angles rather than just front view, but thanks a lot for that, very helpful :)

Well, if you're shooting from different angles - instead of moving camera, move the actors.

Since the background is white , we will never know that it was shot in the small room ;)

and yes, there is a ton of light. Otherwise it will look really weird if everything is white, and your character has massive shadows going on.. Light that sucker UP! :-D

good luck!

Hey there!

I think I'm looking to do a similar thing as you, as in film in a closed white room (as opposed to white infinite space, which is also very cool, but not in the case). Have you figured anything out yet? I'm deciding whether to build the set in a sound stage I have access to, or whether to find someone that has a perfectly white room. Both sound difficult, but would be worth it :)

When do you start shooting? If I figure anything out I might be more helpful. I haven't ruled out shooting green-screen yet either.

J

Great link, Levanchuk! That's a lot of lights, but it's actually very little light. And, the setup they describe would be quite inexpensive. This is definitely the way to go.

j_thompson -- shooting greenscreen and shooting white-out are pretty much six or one-half-dozen of the other. The same principles apply to both, and if you can do one, you can do the other.

j_thompson: They are basically the same principle, as Cracker Funk points out. Though nice, even lighting for greenscreen with minimal spill on the talent may be a tad more tricky. I'd say go for the all-white room, if possible. You wouldn't have to worry about adding a white "light wrap" to the keyed footage of the talent in post. Also keep in mind that much of the bright-white-room footage you've seen in other films has probably been adjusted in post.

It may also be a good idea for the talent to wear some contrasting (ie. darker) clothes, so the offset/separation from the white background is greater.

Last edited:
j_thompson: hi there! glad to see someone else out there trying to do it too, its proving tough! but i think im going to go with what dlevanchuk linked, as i have never used green screens before i think it might prove risky, and i reckon it would look better and more authentic building it yourself, i reckon with some nice camera tricks you'll be able to do more or less anything you want with that set up i'd say use that sound stage and follow the instructions from that video :) if i come up with anything else, i shall definitely give you some tips!

Back