• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

White flicker in AE

Hey all,

Anybody know how to avoid the white flicker/strobe effect that happens when you have a slow fade in from white? It's not horrible, but definitely noticeable. The work was done in After Effects. I dropped the white to 95, but not sure what else I can do to get rid of this? Is it always going to be there?

Thanks all.

Hey all,

Anybody know how to avoid the white flicker/strobe effect that happens when you have a slow fade in from white? It's not horrible, but definitely noticeable. The work was done in After Effects. I dropped the white to 95, but not sure what else I can do to get rid of this? Is it always going to be there?

Thanks all.
Hallo, if Your project is Progressive and You have for example a fade over 30 frames, there will be 30 different "whites" which means, white values from 0 to 255 will change in steps of about 9 which You will see as a kind of "strobe" effect. There is no chance to avoid that. Especially as the human eye can recognize acout 60 changes per second and You only have 24 or 30 depending on Your framerate...If Your project is Interlaced, You have the double amount of images / impressions to the human eye and smaller steps in the white... this will reduce the "strobe effect" but may make Your clip useless for DCP or internet use.... I am sure, if Your fade in is maybe 120 frames long, You will not see the strobe effect ? I hope this could be a bit helpful otherwise You may contact me trough http://www.artus.tv I am doing filmproduction in Germany and use After Effects in every film. I know these strobe problem from Digital Cinema Packages I do. So that was why HFR was introduced... and may help but lets movies look more like videos...

I'll take a look how many frames it is and give it a try.

It's 23.98fps Progressive. I'll play around with it and see what I can do to smooth it out. So that would give me changes in steps of about 10.6... does the 120 frames long still hold true for that?

What bit depth is your comp set to? I know you can get rid of banding in gradients by using a higher bit depth comp (and applying a slight bit of noise).. same may hold true for a fade to/from white.

It's possible this could also simply be a playback issue.

Back