• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

White balance advice needed

Hi

We're shooting our first movie. Most scenes take place in our apartment.

I'm having white balance issues.

I understand how to use the custom white balance feature on our Canon 6D EOS, and then tell the Canon to use the Custom white balance not AWB (automatic white balance).

In normal lighting our Custom white balance works well and the results are good but...

We need to do some low light shooting and when I try to white balance (using an Lastolite EzyBalance Gray Card) in the low light, the results I get are awful - a strong blue hue to the scene. It looked so bad in the Live View mode that we simply didn't even shoot it. But if I white balance in normal light then turn the lighting down, the result is good - so we got the scene that way.

We also need a few brightly shot scenes - a very tad over-exposed. When I try to white balance with such lighting, the 6D then decreases the light in my scene so I have to adjust the lighting again. Again my solution was to do a white balance in normal light then light up the scene again as I wanted it.

What am I doing wrong?

My understanding was that you should white balance at the start of every scene with the lighting you were going to shoot at. And you white balance again when your lighting changes or your ISO / shutter or aperture.

Your guidance would be hugely appreciated.

Last edited:
Back