Which prime lenses should I buy?

I own a 5d mark iii and some of the better Canon lenses like the 50mm f1.2, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8.
I want to shoot an online series (comedy/action) in a year, so I want to get a set of prime lens. I read in a book that they recommend Leica R and cine (I don't have the book here but what is that) over the Canon lenses. What makes Leica R better than Canon? And why do they recommend the Leica R and not the Leica Noctilux M lenses? They have a higher aperture and are more expensive.
I want to buy them instead of renting because my I have some other projects were I can also use the lenses for.
I don't really have a budget, but want to stay within ~100k$. Are there even more expensive lens? Is it worth considering them?

At a $100k lens budget, I'd recommend the Zeiss CP series or the new Canon Cine Primes coming out this year. Both will last you though several camera body upgrades ans will hold resolution through 4k should you ever require it; plus, they come in way under your budget.

Cinema lenses have a few advantages over photo lenses for motion picture use. Primarily they smooth, or "declicked" aperture rings allowing for adjustment of the aperture during a take without seeing the notches as you change. They also come geared and ready to hook up to a follow focus without having to use and external adapter.

Let us know what you end up picking.

Most on this forum are used to dealing with a sub $1k lens budget.

I think I will wait for the Canon Cine Primes, is there an estimate how much they will approx cost?
I think I will shoot my series in 1080p but will use the lenses for later projects as well, in 2 years 4k is prob standard :) or is the picture better with the cinema cameras?

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/carl_zeiss-no10-set

these are the CP lenses? I think I should wait a bit with buying the lenses, I don't even know what T2.1 means... and what is the difference between metric and imperial? Is it just the marking of the focus length?

I think I will wait for the Canon Cine Primes, is there an estimate how much they will approx cost?
I think I will shoot my series in 1080p but will use the lenses for later projects as well, in 2 years 4k is prob standard :) or is the picture better with the cinema cameras?

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/carl_zeiss-no10-set

these are the CP lenses? I think I should wait a bit with buying the lenses, I don't even know what T2.1 means... and what is the difference between metric and imperial? Is it just the marking of the focus length?

The Zeiss CP.2s are probably the best lenses you can get on an EF mount. Leica Rs are nice, but you'd want to get them cine-modded to use them properly.

The Canon Cine Primes I wouldn't hold out for - mostly because they are an incomplete set. 24mm, 50mm, and 85mm are not really enough for me. No 35mm, espsecially on a 5D..

The good thing about the CP.2s as well is that their mount is interchangeable, so you can rent them out or still use them if you ever upgrade to something that has a PL mount.

In terms of picture quality - better lenses equals better looking images, a better camera does not necessarily, but the advantage of getting a better camera is you're not stuck with heavily compressed h.264 footage.

T stop is equivalent to F stop. F stop is essentially a calculation of how much light should be going through the lens, whereas T stops are actually tested to see exactly how much light makes it through the lens (as y=there is slight light loss through the lens.

The difference between imperial vs metric markings are the witness markings on the barrel. You want imperial.

Back