Where To Start To Raise Money

I'm looking to make my first money-backed short film. I've made short film's before on a no-budget basis as skit comedies and what-not but I want to move on from it.

In order to make the short film that I want to shoot, I need to raise at least $300 for locations and props. Actors aren't a problem because I'm just going to use people I know that are sort of able to fit the role, or am just going to change the role entirely depending on what the person can and cannot do.

I already have a 10 page script written, and a shot-by-shot detailed storyboard to show possible investors and what-not.

From this point, I don't know where to go. Do I write up a contract, hire attorney's, come up with a "x amount of investment = x amount of return if the short makes any money" plan?

I know that Sam Raimi hired attorney's when he set out to raise money for within the woods, but wouldn't that be too expensive for a low-budget short film nowadays?

An attorney, and contract, to raise $300? Do you not work? I don't mean to sound harsh but if all you need is $300 go work at McDonald's for a couple weeks. Too young to get a job? Mow lawns.

If someone asked me to help raise $300 bucks for a film I'd assume they were a lazy bum.

I know that Sam Raimi hired attorney's when he set out to raise money for within the woods, but wouldn't that be too expensive for a low-budget short film nowadays?
It wouldn't be too much money for a low budget film.
But hiring an attorney at $150 to $250 per hour to
write a contract to raise $300 seems overkill.

Minimum wage in this country is $7.25/hr. If got a part time
job (six hour days , three days a week) you could raise
$300 in three weeks. That way you don't need an "x
amount of investment = x amount of return if the short
makes any money" because you will get ALL the money
your short film makes.

I have a question for you. How many short films have
you paid to see or buy?

For a short film, I would start with a fundraiser. Something fun...with live music, swag, networking...make a deal with the establishment about how you want to handle the door cover charge, ticket sales, etc...

We do this for all our features, and we always make a decent chunk of change to get us started. I'm not talking about making thousands on a fundraiser (especially in this economy), but you can definitely pull in a chunk of change.

If you're looking to raise $300...that's nothing. You can make that on a fundraiser...just be sure to blanket advertise surrounding towns with fliers, as well as hitting up the online social networks.

Last edited:
Makes me wonder about the time investment and cost vs. the raising of $300.

Renting a hall, finding bands to play for free, enticing local
business to donate “swag”, printing flyers and focusing your
online social networking to the local area seems like a lot of
work (and money) to raise such a small amount.

As opposed to getting a part time job for three to six weeks.

Finding people who will spend their time and money for a
fundraiser is a lot of work. You’ve done it, Michael, you know
that it takes time and effort. I can see something like this
working if you need to raise a thousand.

Can one expect to clear $300? What is the ballpark expense to
attract a few hundred people? Even splitting the door cover
charge means you have to have quite a few people show up.

If I were to see a flyer for a fundraiser:
“Local filmmaker raising money for a short film! Three local bands LIVE! Free stuff! A great networking opportunity! Meet fellow filmmakers and local film goers. Only $5 with flyer. ($10 at the door). Help local filmmaker realize his dream!”
I don’t think I’d go. I guess if I knew the filmmaker or some
of the band members, but I'd rather just give the filmmaker
$10 or offer to help shoot. Isn't it limiting to attract only
people known to you? Is it realistic that over a hundred people
who don't know the filmmaker or the band members will go
to something like this?

Do you attending many of these fundraisers?
How much have these fundraisers cost your group?
How much do you generally make?

Clearly this wouldn’t work in a big city like Los Angeles so I’m
curious how it works in a smaller, non industry town. Do you
spend $200 and 20 hours of your time to raise the $300?

Rik...

To raise merely $300, you don't have to put much effort in at all. Especially if you already have a few talented friends who are already working with you.

Find a bar that plays live music already...tell them you'd like to throw a fund raiser for you newest film, and you plan to bring in a fair amount of people. They may even let you take the majority of the door...as people will be buying drinks and what not...have one of your buddies print out a few dozen fliers and take a few hours to stick them in key locations around town.

I think the problem with your advert, is it sounded desperate. People don't want to hang out with desperate people. You have to make it sound like people are going to be having fun with or without you, and if you miss out, you'll kick yourself for it. You don't have to talk about dreams of becoming a filmmaker, or helping a starving artist out...you have to make it sound like a budding production company is throwing a fundraiser for their next project...mention the live music and fun to be had...maybe talk about the actors and crew being there to talk...

$300 is very little...I think way more work would go into getting a job for a week or two...that's way more hours to clock in than putting a small fundraiser on.

Connections are nice...that's why if you plan to make films, you should make friends with as many people as you can. Bar owners are nice...the bar we frequent is always anxious for another one of our DVD releases or fundraisers...we bring in a crowd, and it's a good time. Always try and make those connections...location location location. :)

But you're right Rik...$300 shouldn't require too much time and energy. You can practically raiser that with a lemonade stand. :)

Take care.

Short films can be a good way to get your feet wet though. There's a little less stress than what goes into a feature, obviously.

As for three hundred bucks, hell, even I could raise that.

Like everyone else has already said you really shouldn't need a lawyer for that, but I suppose it's at least good that you're trying to cover the bases.

The standard investment contract is for the investor to make 100% of first monies (income) and then at least 50% of 2nd monies (after the initial investment is paid off). Also the investor is the "moving party" who, if they know what they're doing, will be the one presenting the contract. It's their money. They need to be protected.

I would say go with one of them say... I'm not too good with tons of the legal stuff... But I currently started out small. I created a project video on something like American Dreams in Geograhpy class, and the teacher loved it, she wanted a DVD.

I was also paid to record at the schools pageant. And my DJ company is apart of my production company.

or in my case, i made a senior video, to help pay for my short "the sky is blue"
so far only 16 people have bought it, but thats $160 dollars off the bat!
and i'm still planning on selling 15 more for some people that want it as well.

Making and selling a senior video is a great idea for experience and money. Keep it hush hush or the school will ask for royalties :lol:

I'm thinking he might mean one of those prom videos... or he could be talking about something else...
My school makes these prom videos every year, and sometimes they make you cry, and sometimes you don't feel a thing.

I asked if I can join in on the editing, but I have to be in the class.
Some of the camera angles they do is ok... But not the best... Like one part when they was running.... What were they running from?

Back