• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Where do you physically hold the camera?

I'm fairly short only 5"6 and I usually shoot at my eye level looking through my lcd viewfinder. I know there is a certain angle to be when your trying to create a dominant look or weak look(high/low angles) but what is a good rule of thumb where the camera should be for regular composed shots, such as a dialogue shot. I feel like my composition is never what I visualize in my head, still trying to figure out what's wrong.

can you do a quick sketch of what's in your head (even some rough shapes of people will help) to help have something tangible to match it to...

Many more shots are taken from hip -> shoulder level though, giving a larger than life feel to the footage. I'm convinced that this is one simple change that will improve "correct" footage and add to a more cinematic look.

Depends on who you ask. Generally speaking, I tend to prefer to keep my camera at eye-level of the primary subject. There are some people who would say that this style of cinematography is boring. Whatever; I like it.

If you feel like your compositions are off, eye-level may or may not be the first place for you to look into what needs to be changed. Have you studied (and practiced) the basics of photography?

I'm convinced that this is one simple change that will improve "correct" footage and add to a more cinematic look.

This.

It can be as simple as a small angle difference. We don't see the difference in a 2 degree adjustment with our eyes but in a camera, it changes everything. Im betting it's a matter of your focal length and angle.

Depends on who you ask. Generally speaking, I tend to prefer to keep my camera at eye-level of the primary subject. There are some people who would say that this style of cinematography is boring. Whatever; I like it.

If you feel like your compositions are off, eye-level may or may not be the first place for you to look into what needs to be changed. Have you studied (and practiced) the basics of photography?

Yes I actually started out with photography before I got into filming, however I'll be able to frame and compose my shot but then when the scenes start to move I lose the great composition I had to start with. Hope that makes sense :lol:

Yes I actually started out with photography before I got into filming, however I'll be able to frame and compose my shot but then when the scenes start to move I lose the great composition I had to start with. Hope that makes sense :lol:

Ah, terrific! Then perhaps you need to spend more time blocking? (Not sure if that's the answer, just thinking aloud)

Back