Where do I start??

Hello people!!

I was hoping to get some good advice on, where to start, and what I will need to start making some short movies.
I have plenty of creative ideas, but I want to do the basic things well, and spend my money as wisely as possible!

I studied animation at uni, majored in storyboarding, and have experience with editing, special effects, composting, and some very basic sound knowledge. Also studied photography, at college. I have had a burning ambition for years to start making films, and I have some savings set aside for a good camera to get cracking.

What kind of camera should I go for? I have around 2k for that at the moment. Or is it best to save some more?

I have a few scripts ready, and a few contacts with amateur actors who I hope will be as keen as I am. From experience, what have been the main challenges you guys have faced? Any tips or tools you have found indispensable?

Please go easy on me guys, I'm eager but a noob :)

Don't ask "what should I buy?" without first establishing a budget. I could suggest $50,000 in sound gear; someone else will suggest that much and more on a camera, lenses and lighting. And then you come back with "I don't have that kind of money.

Once you have a budget we can help cram as much into it as possible.

Also, first figure out WHERE the final product is going to be shown.
YouTube.
Film Festivals.
VOD.

Then determine if you even have an appropriate budget.

£2k for a youtube short is a bit much.
£2k for a youtube feature is about right.
£2k for a film festival short is a bit much.
£2k for a film festival feature probably isn't going to work out.
£2k for a VOD short is a waste of money.
£2k for a VOD feature is a waste of money.

Where?
Where is anyone going to watch these?

I am just getting started with filmmaking myself (at the moment I work in the broadcast industry) so I understand how you feel. Though I do agree that you should know how much you want to spend on your productions, I would also make it a priority to find people who are as enthousiastic to make films as you are. I mean people on the production side of things, since you already seem to have the actors.
Speaking from my own experience (producing a short right now), in the beginning I was trying to do everything myself. But that was getting me nowhere so I decided to just put my idea out there, and I found a lot of people who offered to lend a hand. If you look around, I'm sure you'll also find people willing to participate. And then we can talk equipment. :)
Good luck!

I always wonder why indie filmmakers must own everything. Why not rent? Or hire someone who has the gear? The whole point is to direct, is it not? Do you really want to learn how to operate a camera and how to light and how to do make-up and how to do hair and how to be a production sound mixer and how to swing a boom and how to design a set and how to design wardrobe and...

I always wonder why indie filmmakers must own everything. Why not rent? Or hire someone who has the gear? The whole point is to direct, is it not? Do you really want to learn how to operate a camera and how to light and how to do make-up and how to do hair and how to be a production sound mixer and how to swing a boom and how to design a set and how to design wardrobe and...
Five bucks says anyone asking about owning or already does own much of their own equipment to use themselves wants ready access to it at any given hour with an para-ad hoc crew, if any.
It'll be a pretty small potatoes operation, most likely.

You're thinking of those $100k and up film budget film directors.
Yeah, they should rent.

Us little guys with our Canon Vixias and t2is don't need no stinking rental crew.

madre.jpg

We figure by the time we get enough experience to know WTH we're doing we can THEN direct others to do their job.
And by then our five year old equipment will be outdated anyway. :yes:

Last edited:
Back