Where do i start

Im extremely interested in doing films however im not sure where to start.
I been just filming around local parks, downtown...etc.
While viewing videos online people talk about different lenses and adaptors, :huh:
So where do i start learning about that any books or videos your recommend
Soo im starting school in the fall for video & film production but i want to get some things started on my own

Plz Help
Thanks in Advance

You've started...you're filming :)

Before getting caught up in lenses and lighting, and X-A24642`23423.14 cameras, stick to the basics.

Continue to shoot. Maybe there's a story you'd like to tell. Write it down, don't worry about making it "screen play" right away, just right it down. Have fun with it.

See if you can get a computer video editor. I think Windows comes with one (movie maker) if you have it, or if you have a bit of money, you can get Adobe Premiere elements or similar for 100 dollars-they aren't the full pro kit, but there's more than enough. And play with editing. Put something together to get a "feel for the process"

Then go and buy the 1000 dollar light kit ;) I kid.

Just play with the camera and have fun, and don't be afraid to try different things. :) The other stuff will come later.

For example, I have a canon 930, 120.00 camera. I have Premiere Elements , which I got later when I had some money, about 100.00. I use table lamps with day light bulbs for lighting (seriously!) though I am saving up. You'll find we're all learning here on various levels, we have the entire range from people like yourself just starting, up to people who do it professionally (but they are really great to talk to, and enjoy answering Q's-they were there once too) :)

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
I would say whenever an unfamiliar term comes up when your reading about anything, the least you can do is just google it and read the wiki definition.

Sure if you googled "how to read a light meter" it may not make much sense to you. but most things will and later the ones that did not will start falling into place as well as your knowledge increases.

and yes, shoot!

Start at the begining and when you get to the end....stop! haha just kidding. Agreeing to Tin, you have started just don't stop. Film stuff mess around on the computer create small little skits. I used to come up with 20 ideas and then try and shoot all of them. Just small 5-10 minute skits. Random stuff it doesn't have to make much sense. Watch some internet shows, come up with one of your own. For a while I was doing a show called "The Commercial Guru" it wasn't very great but it was fun and that's the bottom line. Now here I am working on a documentary and constantly getting help from this forum.

You have a camera use it. Forget about lenses and adapters they are distractions. Oh, you'll eventual see for your self, why having one would be AWESOME, but right now your not likely hitting the limits of the tools you have.

Film anything and everything as if it was important. A cigar butt in a gutter is a dramatic image.
Learn your camera inside and out.

For books, so far I have..
Master Shots
The DV Rebels Guide
Film Directing Shot By Shot

When you get to school you (hopefully) will have access to all kinds of fun toys and (hopefully) be taught how to pick the appropriate tool for the given task. For now just use what is available to you and have some fun.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I tend to beat this to death... SOUND IS HALF OF THE EXPERIENCE. But 90% of the projects that come into my facility require me to do extensive sonic surgery just to make the dialog intelligible. Anyway, you asked for some books...

Sound Design: The Expressive Power of Music, Voice and Sound Effects in Cinema - David Sonnenschein

The Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound - David Yewdall

The Foley Grail - Vanessa Theme Ament

The Sound Effects Bible - Ric Viers

Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures - John Purcell

Start at the begining and when you get to the end....stop! haha just kidding. Agreeing to Tin, you have started just don't stop. Film stuff mess around on the computer create small little skits. I used to come up with 20 ideas and then try and shoot all of them. Just small 5-10 minute skits. Random stuff it doesn't have to make much sense. Watch some internet shows, come up with one of your own. For a while I was doing a show called "The Commercial Guru" it wasn't very great but it was fun and that's the bottom line. Now here I am working on a documentary and constantly getting help from this forum.

Really? :D Might you post some links to this intriguing sounding idea?

Those books sound like a good idea. If you can afford it (and I'm not there yet-almost though)get an external microphone. Doesn't have to be 500 dollar jobbie, even borrowing a friends. See how differently the sound comes through the external one vs the one in the camera. Even if you can only manage the camera mic because of budget right now, that's okay for what you're wanting to do. But sound DOES make such a very big difference, and you can buy a 40 dollar microphone at Wal-Tar-martget (you know what I mean) (Yes, Alcove, don't mean to make you cry ;))

One final thing(again if you can afford it, if not fine)a TRIPOD! Sounds so simple, yet it make such a difference: So to sum up, thus far:

Get out and shoot, shoot, shoot.
Edit if you've got the means (windows comes with Moviemaker)
Tripod(if you can afford)
Sound(If you can afford, even cheap mic).
Lighting-daylight bulbs aren't that expensive and can make a huge difference to start)
See if you can pick the aforementioned books, any of them, to read.
If you can schooling, even stuff teaches the basics is great. But you can have a filmolology in degree of ABCDE, and it means nothing unless you start shooting. And schools can have some nice equipment.

But above all-SHOOT! :)

Last edited:
Why do we all (including me) start acting like wise old Obi Wan when someone asks for starter advice? :P

You can Obi-wan, I'm more a Darth Maul type:lol:

I think it's recognition-we've all either been there or are there ourselves, and we want to help-so we go and gush out all the info and scare the potential film student away :lol:

Back