When Shooting A Black And White Clip

I'm shooting a music video, i want to then make black and white. is there anything on the set, like the light or anything else i should consider?

Yes. Remember you won't have subtleties of color to distinguish items in your picture. In other words, Lets say you have a dimly lit room and behind the main character is a statue that we are supposed to notice. Normally, with color, if the wall is a deeper color and the statue is gold, only a small splash of light is necessary. But here, we dont have that option so you will need to really make it stand out. Contrast is key, things get lost in the shadow. Also make sure nobody wears a really dark colored shirt or white... that will distract from their face.

yeah the statue factor i already noticed, when i previewed the room on yesterday. same as the white shirt factor. the worst part is that the 2 main characters are black, and i'm supposed to flash them back and forth from a black and a white background. that's really hard to make look right.

but yeah anything else i need to look out for?

smiley_learn.gif
In b/w filming, you can use yellow/orange/red/green filters to increase contrast differences.

(I don't know how that works if filming colour that gets turned to b/w in post, though)

Be sure to have a black & white monitor on the set instead of a color monitor. If you do not use a video monitor when you shoot, most cameras will let you switch the LCD on your camera from color to black & white.

Zensteve said:
smiley_learn.gif
In b/w filming, you can use yellow/orange/red/green filters to increase contrast differences.

(I don't know how that works if filming colour that gets turned to b/w in post, though)
if anybody knows how to increase those different contrasts individually, please let me know, cause i can only set the overall contrast in adobe premiere pro.

fraser thanks for the hint, too bad my camera didn't have that function.

if anybody knows how to increase those different contrasts individually, please let me know, cause i can only set the overall contrast in adobe premiere pro.

I meant actual glass filters that cover the lens. (Which may not work well with video. Forgot to ask, as Indie did.)

_______

For mucking about with colour channels in Adobe...

Video Effects >> Image Control >> Colour Corrector.

Expand the menu. You'll have a lot of choices, and even more menus to play with.

:)

Back