movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Heat a little long, and all of the comedians that are making cameos play straight characters so it's a little boring at times. Having said that there are a couple of really hilarious moments and that definitely makes this worth watching. Sandra Bullock 2013

I watched DREDD starring Karl Urban.

I was crazy for the Stallone version when it came out - I went to see it at the movies (I was about 11), had the movie poster and bought the novelization and played the SNES game). I saw it about a year or more ago and still found it enjoyable but it definitely is an unbalanced movie.

But I digress:

DREDD is a really entertaining movie, much better than the 95 film, it has lots of visual style, I really liked the soundtrack (I want to get my hands on it). It was gritty, action packed and I thought Karl did a really good job in the role.

I definitely would want to see a sequel.

10/10

Man did i hate Dredd I couldn't make it more than 10 minutes into the film lol

I watched Running Scared. For a film with that title, featuring paul walker (RIP), I was disappointed to find there was not a single decent chase scene in this film. It wasn't bad though, 3/5

We're the Millers 4/10

Meh. It had it's moments. Not the worst thing I've seen. Certainly not the best...

Forgettable.

LOL :lol:

I rated it quite highly iirc.

We were all in stitches throughout the movie, which is strange as those sorts of comedies are not really my thing generally.

We might have been a bit toasted though... :D

Not really a film I know, but the mrs and I have just finished watching the entirety of Breaking Bad. One episode after the other, back to back, in around 4-5 days. We've not done that since our last run through of B5. ;)

It was awesome. What little sleep I did get was spent dreaming about meth and fat stacks of cash. :D

Last edited:
It was awesome. What little sleep I did get was spent dreaming about meth and fat stacks of cash.

:D

Just came back from The Book Thief.

The Book Thief 8/10

Surprisingly good. I had little hope for the film, but I though it was a good "kids" films. I was surprised that they didn't sugar coat it. It had a bittersweet ending, not the usual happily ever after. Refreshing.

Spirited Away directed by Hayao Miyazaki - 10/10
Wow! Just wow! This was a re-watch because my friend wanted to see it again, I have to admit I was reluctant because I don't like re-watching personal favorites with others (esp. when they have a narrow film taste) but I'm so glad I did re-watch it with him. It turns out today was exactly one year after my first viewing and the film still connects with me both personally and artistically. Although the experience of seeing Miyazaki's remarkable imagination for the first time will never be matched, this time around I noticed even more of his creativity and symbolism in the film. I was even very tired towards the end but the film is so good it kept me awake. The only bad thing about the film is the same as the first time, that I have to leave its world and come back to my life. I look forward to continuing my journey into Miyazaki's (and Takahata's) filmographies as well as re-watching them over and over again!

"Man bites dog" R.Belvaux, A. Bonzel, BPoelvoorde

A mentally fucked up must see.

"Do the right thing" - Spike Lee

The style reminded me of "Magnolia". Very interesting!

The Sapphires

I heard about this movie because of the controversy of the Chris O'Doud DVD cover. It's a musical biopic about a group of 1960's Aborigine female singers who go to Vietnam to perform for the troops. O'Doud plays their manager and while he plays a prominent role, he is not the lead. (The DVD cover features a full color close up of him front and center, with the girls in the background in a blue tint and his name front and center)

While it was a bit insensitive to the true nature of the story, it will and has (I'm an example) gotten people to notice it who might not have otherwise.

I enjoyed it, as biopics go it did an admirable job, and I was entertained.

7.5/10

The Sapphires

Yeah, that is the Australian film that won most of the big awards here earlier this year. Haven't seen it yet myself (have heard mixed reviews from friends)

I heard about this movie because of the controversy of the Chris O'Doud DVD cover.

I thought that 'controversy' was so ridiculous. There were people saying it was racist the way the three girls were shafted to the back of the cover (because they were black) while Chris O'Dowd was moved to the front.
Um, no, you idiots, it's because Chris O'Dowd is a recognisable face they can use to market the film overseas, rather than have three girls no one outside Australia has ever seen before. Race had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

"39 Steps" - A. Hitchcock

2 issues: a plot hole most likely than anything else in the very beginning. A overlay of a woman talking, although "artistic" (especially the "trick" of repeating word "quickly" which Hitchcock wanted to implement in the previous movies) yet seemed to be too bold for my taste, audience definitely remembers all the words the spy said, oh well. Great movie! The script is structured very episodically,so you can pinpoint the structure while watching.

Catching Fire 9/10. Like the first a very decent adaptation of the book, with is one I'd say getting more things right (although this did cut more scenes, I think, the first actually did some things wrong, even as basic as casting the wrong coloured cat..)

As a film tonnes better, I was not a fan of the overly shaky camera in the first. Just like the book it's a good set up to the mayhem that follows in the following two films...

If you can stand her writing style I'd reccomend reading the third book for its two film adaptations.

Wolf Creek 5/10. Decided to start watching some of the well known Aussie films... Found this drastically overrated and only was scared/tense for a brief amount of time.
It also had no real resolution for me..it kind of just ended and then there was a bit of text explaining what happened afterwards
Horror isn't my usual taste (prefer a good thriller ie Prisoners) but I have enjoyed the likes of The Woman in Black.

Tropico de Sangre directed by Juan Delancer - 2/10
An awful telling of the story of Dominican dictator Trujillo. The acting is horribly cheesy, the casting was bad in the first place, and the film sets up its narrative in a pointless tacky way. The visuals in the film were nothing special aside from a few shots either. I only like that they got one of the Mirabal sisters to be in the film and that the film's subject is an important one for Dominicans.

Utama - Every Name In History Is I directed by Ho Tzu Nyen - 7/10
At first I didn't know what to think about this film, the corny acting and strange visuals threw me off because the message of the film along with the script was strong. The film blends fiction and documentary effectively since it does point out that most origin stories are myths. It was pretty enjoyable and it's 23 minute length never felt too long so I'd say it's a strange but entertaining educational piece.

Manufraktur directed by Peter Tscherkassky - 8/10
A great concise film by one of the master film experimenters. While watching the film I really felt like I was in a car driving along and going mad. Tscherkassky has got to be one of the best filmmakers to produce a nightmarish effect.

Get Ready directed by Peter Tscherkassky - 7.5/10
Unfortunately this film is too short. It gives a great visual and aural effect similar to the climaxes of several of Tscherkassky's films but it ends without much closure by revealing that it was a commercial for a film festival.

There Will Be No Leave Today directed by Aleksandr Gordon & Andrei Tarkovsky - 8/10
This short film tells a great story of soldiers disposing unexploded bombs. I still prefer Tarkovsky's first film The Killers because this film is about 8 minutes too long IMO. The film also didn't develop characters too much. However, the film does connect to basic human emotions and its best parts are really intense and enjoyable to watch.

My Week with Marilyn - 6/10
It's fair. It's okay.
I like this discription:
David Rooney from The Hollywood Reporter... went on to say "Fault lies with both Hodges’ workmanlike script and Curtis' failure to excavate much psychological depth."
If you never see it you're not missing much.

Dead Man Down - 5/10
Meh...
Not surprised it made no money.
Buzz must've been faccid on this.
Farrell and Rapace really weren't given much for characters to develop into anything meaningful.
They had a good bit of "went there, did that."

Pacific Rim - 7/10
Kinda disappointed in del Toro with this.
I can do Marvel universe comic-made-real just fine, but this just seemed a bit "trying too hard-ish."
It wasn't as fun as his 'Hellboy" I & II, which is really what I wanted.
I kept thinking this is a ripped off, amped up 'Cloverfield' - with ROBOTS!
The cliche nerdy scientist couple were goofy.
In fact, I didn't care for any of the characters.
And I dislike all the night/dark shots.
(B!tch, b!tch, b!tch... )

Contagion. Second viewing of the film and I still found it to be as good as the first viewing. I think it's a great movie with a great cast of actors and because it's an ensemble piece even if you don't like certain actors or you don't like to see one actor overshadow another just because of their name then I think you will enjoy this one.

Otherwise it's just a really good and thought provoking film that will make you think twice about touching anything without having washed your hands or inspected it.

9/10

Back