movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Guilt Trip 2/10

I usually like Seth Rogen's work... unfortunately he didn't write this one (I was misinformed of that) and he plays the serious character while Barbara Streisand is supposed to be funny. A terrible film overall, no redeemable qualities.

So ... The Hobbit. B+ because it was the Hobbit.

Score possibly lowered because the HFR projection really brought me out of the whole experience. Like completely. I even joked that the shots of Rivendel (spelling, its late, whatever) looked more like an episode of MTV's "Cribs" than a mythyical elven stronghold in a fantasy movie based on a beloved novel from my childhood. I get why it was done that way, but there's a psychological quality there that I'm not sure I'll adjust to very well. It might work for a different setting, but probably not. I'm trying to imagine Star Trek in HFR for example, and my gut feeling is that the whole thing would still be too "sports broadcast" looking for me to find it immersive.

It's also possible I was paying more attention to it than I was actual movie since I wanted to see hfr48 for myself before mouthing off on the internet about it. :D

I didn't really expect it to pull me so very far out of the film. 3D may not have helped. Certain shots in 3D I find really immersion breaking, like when there are blades of grass in the foreground, but I can see clearly where they cut off at the bottom. Something about that "frame line" floating out in space distracts the crap out of me. Why the regular edge of the movie screen doesn't when it cuts off the bottom of something is beyond my comprehension. ;)

FWIW: As a film I mostly liked it. Overall it felt a little obligatory - like they went causally from one required story point to another - but I still enjoyed it.

Last edited:
FWIW: As a film I mostly liked it. Overall it felt a little obligatory - like they went causally from one required story point to another - but I still enjoyed it.

I saw The Hobbit today HFR and loved it and found it a more enjoyable 3D experience than usual.

I'm going to give it an A+ (mind you that does not mean 100%, probably mid 90s)

I agree with the statement that I've quoted from you though. Still the same that's something I only thought of afterwards, so it didnt draw me out while it was happening

Not trying to be argumentative, but, that would well describe the LOTR films, as well. And, from what I've heard and read, that well describes the books themselves.

It's seems to be widely accepted that that describes the books, themselves, as well as that they are not a pleasure to read, and, yes, that their plots consist primarily of their protagonists going from sticky situation to the next sticky situation to the next sticky situation "ad nauseum," which is why I'll probably never bother reading them. Well, that doesn't really bother me, so that's not why I relay that criticism because, after all, what do people expect? Is that not, more-or-less, what dramatic conflict is? I suppose, maybe, the feeling is that Tolkien's tales lack crescendo? I dunno. That lack of crescendo is exactly why I'll like, but probably will never love, the LOTR films or The Hobbit films. But of course, as far as the books go, my information about them is secondhand and other people's opinion; I haven't checked them out myself.

But, I actually think that I think The Hobbit is better on that score than the LOTR films were. Unlike others, I did not feel like The Hobbit dragged, that it was too long, or that it lacked crescendo. Well, it probably sort of does, but less so than the LOTR films, actually. =)

?

Great Directors - 7.5/10 - was a good documentary and was interesting to hear them speak. I'm biased, but would've liked more Lynch and Linklater but was overall a good watch

Kill Theory

B

It was a pretty well done horror movie. It took it's plot and worked it out great. The Character felt connected and it was great to see those die that you wanted to die and feel like crap when those died whom you didn't want to die. I also didn't see the ending coming.

Been watching "Mad Men" and "Boardwalk Empire" and "The Sopranos" lately. It's not film, of course, but damnit are they ever good.

"Drive" A+ (I honestly don't say that lightly, it's so artistically made, holy shit, just unbelievable)

Other than that, I've mostly been watching Max & Ruby and the Treehouse gang on TV. Ah, the joys of having a two year old daughter.

Django Unchained --- that's in the list of MUST-SEE-SOON.

-Jesse

Species - 6/10
Species II - 4/10
Species III - 3/10 (This LOOKED like it was made for TV, was shot by a big time TV director, I couldn't find a budget for it, but it looked like a $1-3m DtV film.)
Species IV - 3/10

Goodness.
Three years can be rough on a young woman's "sitting spread." http://seogozip.com/wp-content/uplo...idge-in-species-natasha-henstridge-zimbio.jpg

In other words, directors - be thoughtful & kind how you shoot a person.
Generally speaking, girls don't WANT you to make their @sses LOOK as fat AS possible.

Last edited:
Lost.

I suppose I should give it an overall A.

Oy, it's pretty much been ruling my life lately. Finally finished it. I liked it.

It started out strong. I'm not too sure how I feel about where they took the story.
Not too sure I like the Jacob and his brother and their murderous imposter stepmother storyline etc and all of that etc etc. I'm not too sure how I feel about, or how much I care for, the show's escatology; I'm not too sure how I feel about the mashup of its escatology, its science fiction (?), its fantasy, including the time travel stuff --which I take it was really part and parcel of its escatology and not really time travel in the usual (science ficition) sense, after all (?).

I kinda felt like I should give it an A for its beginning, but something a little lower for its final seasons. But nah, it's pretty strong all together. It's a pretty good ride. That's why it hijacked me too.

Les Miserables - B

It was a somewhat enjoyable film but a few things bugged me. Of course the classic story is all about the singing but the fact that 98% of words were sung annoyed me just a bit.

I particularly loved and hated the cinematography the most. Generally it looked amazing, it often had a very soft narrow DOF, but in some scenes this annoyed me.

Acting was incredible by most, I loved the child actors actually. This is what brings the score slightly up for me.

Story though went up and down, jumping around a bit, but I'm assuming the original did too so we can't exactly criticize that I spose.

I got more teary eyed during one of the worksafe commercials played before the film. So for me I wasn't 'balling my eyes out' as some have said...

Side by Side. Thanks for the heads-up about this film, FernandoAndre. Oh, this is really good. I'll give it an A.

It was a nice watch for me. I liked how they explain the basics of how the cameras work and of the workflow.

It's funny to hear them talk about the ten minute time limit that they had when they used to shoot with film. They had ten minute reels, so, when they used that up, everything had to stop and they had to load a new ten minute film cartridge. So, essentially, it's as though they had a ten minute clip limit. What's funny about that is that learning that "new" perspective helps me to realize that noobs like me may have done a little too much worrying about the clip limits of DSLRs. Having something like a twelve minute clip limit is really a case of same as it ever was. Sort of.

It kind of leaves me sold more fully on digital than ever. The only thing about digital is still how ephemeral it is. Well, everything's ephemeral, including film, anyway. Yeah, yeah, everything dies and goes away. Does it really matter if the films that are made today last one-hundred years (film), or maybe ten years (digital that's not stored and archived as a film transfer), or one-thousand years? No, probably not really. It's just, do we need our "films" to be even more ephemeral than they already are? Anyway, for some reason, I hope that they do figure out how to preserve digital films better.

Safety Not Guaranteed - Very enjoyable, not fall of your seat funny but charming and cute. Not even the proliferation of upside down turtle faces made famous by Nick from New Girl stopped me enjoying this (I tell ya the entire cast are at it).

8/10

tumblr_m6xu8gaPAV1r24gu1o1_500.png

Total Recall (2012 film) 5/10
Meh fair.
Watch it. Miss it. Doesn't matter.
Nice variances on the 1990 story.

I guess I liked Verhoven's/Schwarzenegger's humor. This was all so serious. Meh...

Like Lockout and Prometheus, it has has that "ten-thousand bits of mostly grey HD objects" look to it - which doesn't do much for me, but the volume of attention to set design detail is very respectable, albeit unappreciated by moí.

The upcoming Oblivion looks like it has much the same "lots of little grey parts" set design aesthetic, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIIgE7eSak

I wonder if José Padilha's Robocop IV is also gonna be executed in like visual fashion. (Blech fad trend.)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0655683/ Ugh. That isn't looking promising.

Last edited:
Back