movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Finally saw Season of the Witch. Not as bad as I had heard...but not really that great either. I give it a straight down the middle 5. Nick Cage not nearly as campy as he could have been (that would have made the movie more fun), overall had a very made-for-tv look to it. Passable story (again, either better or worse would have made the film more fun). I am biased towards fantasy films in general, but even I found it mostly bland and forgettable.

Watched Raging Bull last night again because it had been awhile. Definitely a great classic, and I would rate it a 10/10. Everything from cinematography to the perfect acting performances blended together just right to make this movie appealing to everyone, not just people who want to see a movie about a boxer.

Repo! The Genetic Opera - 5/10

Yeah, I can see this being a "cult classic", but of little else value.
I'm gonna keep my horror musicals limited to RHPS and maybe SWEENY TODD, for now.
Considering what else I've seen for this $8.5m budget they got a pretty good amount of visuals in it.
It's interesting that Lionsgate funded this BEFORE feature production even began. I don't see that too often.
And I guess they wanted to cut their losses by not spending money to promote it. Hmm... Mixed feelings on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMIKXzVyuck

Last edited:
Repo! The Genetic Opera - 5/10
Yeah, I can see this being a "cult classic", but of little else value.
...other than Anthony Stewart Head's vocal performance, of course ;) I loved this movie, but definitely a "not for everyone" sort of thing, the story behind it is pretty interesting (getting this made, after years of being a stage show is one of the reasons Bousman directed Saw 3 and 4). Sadly, Mr. Head's part in Sweeney Todd (which I also liked, but dislike RHPS) got cut...as part of the chorus singing "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd", one of my favorite songs from the show. What could have been....

The Fall - 5/10

From Wiki: Nathan Lee of The New York Times... wrote that the film "is a genuine labor of love — and a real bore."
Umm... yep.
The trailer for Singh's IMMORTALS is what got me looking for this.
The visuals are excellent, it's Singh's story that's killing this. No wonder he had to finance it himself over four years. (Sound familiar)?
The good news is that Singh didn't write IMMORTALS, so maybe it will look cool and possibly have a good story to go with it.
But the writers have almost no previous credits, so... Pig in a poke, basically.

Totally swamped with work (mainly Anglo Saxon :devil: ) and haven't seen anything recently. Really want to see Tintin some time this week.

If anyone has seen a movie and would care to write a 300 word review of it (preferably Immortals, Tower Heist, In Time, Wuthering Heights...etc) I would be eternally grateful and would put metaphorical bread into your metaphorical bird feeder.

Immortals 7/10

I'll preface by saying I absolutely loved it. Had a blast, will buy it on DVD when it comes out. Tarsem's dreamlike design brilliance is all over this film, elevating what would have been a by-the-numbers mythology influenced story into an engaging fantasy action film. And Gods...fight like Gods.

So why not 10 of 10? It could have been more. It's a fairly simple plot-driven film, but not a lot of depth beyond the superficial. The subtle character and narrative depth of The Fall is all but entirely absent. You meet the characters, and instantly know all you need to about them. A couple narrative and dialogue groaners, but for the most part it was well done, if formulaic. And be forewarned: it is NOT an adaptation of Greek mythology. It is a fantasy film that uses some of the people places and things. Yes, there is a guy named Theseus, and yes he goes into a labyrinth (and fights a minotaur, of sorts). But that's about it. Which is a shame; I love labyrinths in general and the original story is interesting enough to make a straight adaptation engaging.

But if you can get past that, and just see it as a fantasy action film, it's loads of fun, excessively vicious and stunningly beautiful. Mickey Rourke is fun to watch, as always. Right from the opening shot of the Titans, the surreal beautiful nightmares that defined the Cell are present and plentiful. The fights and other action scenes are big and exciting (some great sound design work too) and the score, while largely forgetable, is bombastic and keeps the pace of the action up.

Didn't see it in 3d, so can't comment on that.

Hanna - 5/10
Missable.
Cate Blanchette's faux accent is horrid.
I'm interested in more music from the Chemical Brothers, though.

Night at the Museum - 8/10
It remains a simply enjoyable film to watch.

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - 6.5/10
A fair bit not "as fun" as its predecessor, but nice.

Morning Glory - 4/10
Totally missable.
It doesn't suck or anything, I just don't know who the target audience was supposed to be.
It was like a B-minus Nora Ephron show.
If the DVD has any saving grace it's listening to the writer Aline Brosh McKenna on the director & writer commentary. That lady is great.

Juno - 9/10
I think the director could have been anyone, perhaps the editor was even more important.
However, between Cody's script and Page's out-of-the-park performance this film is fantastic.
I find it fascinating the difference between this screenplay production and WTH happened with Cody's follow-up screenplay: Jennifer's Body
Amazing difference.

The Bucket List - 7/10
A little... not fluid, but still a pleasant film.

Bruce Almighty - 7.5/10
Jim Carrey being... Jim Carrey provides a decent body beneath this screenplay suit.
It would be nice to see how several different comedians would perform the same role.

Evan Almighty - 5/10
What a lame sequel. Just totally missable.
Expensive as h3ll to make, to boot. WTH were the producers thinking?

Last edited:
Just rewatched The Dead Next Door, simply because it was shot on Super8 and I'm itching to do some small film work. It's watchable, and fun in parts, but it feels a little long, even though it's only 78 minutes.

I just finished "Mars Needs Moms" and it was... okay, actually. From the reviews you'd think it was the worst movie ever, but it's actually a good, solid kids movie.

Trespass with Nicolas Cage and Nicole Kidman .... very bad, any of us could do much better. Are these guys on drugs? Seriously, this film is pathetic.
(Actually Nicolas Cage was OK in this very boring film, I'm sure Hollywood is laughing at anyone who buys a ticket for something like this)

Everything is Illuminated .... very good film, I doubt that any one of us could make a better film.

Last edited:
Back