movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

Saw Horrible Bosses last night. It was quite good. Personally I didn't like Kevin Spacey in it, but my friend thought he was brilliant, so there you go. It wasn't as funny as I was expecting it to be, but it had it's moments.

I'd give it 3 and a half out of 5 :)

Maybe you are a sexist pig then :)

Equality and individuality are not antonyms :P

Yeah I don't get how they're mutually exclusive???

Aw, sh!t.
I done stepped in it now.

Alright...
Here we go...

First, let's put the statement back into it's complete context then break it down into bite size pieces.

Maybe I'm a sexist pig (I doubt it, but I think it's funny when people claim both gender equality - AND - individuality simultaneously), but the director of Red Ridinghood did a wonderful job with Twilight's love story, tried to drag that over to here, but I can't imagine women finding the "love story' in this as being anything they'd want to watch much of. It's like it's trying to be a "chick flick for the guys"
It ain't working for me.
Then delete the not-at-all-helpful qualifier:
Maybe I'm a sexist pig, but the director of... did a wonderful job with Twilight's love story, tried to drag that over to here, but I can't imagine women finding the "love story' in this as being anything they'd want to watch much of. It's like it's trying to be a "chick flick for the guys"
So far so good?

Have you seen this movie?
First, it is a adaptation of a children's tale warning of the dangers of talking to strangers.
Second, it's fantasy action drama, much like the director's previous film Twilight.
Third, the protag finds herself amid a whodunit investigation, which of course eventually falls upon her. (Sigh).
Fourth, there is a (shoehorned) love triangle. (Another sigh).

So who is the market for this? What's the demographic? Where's the money going to come from?

The Holy Grail of cash-loose 18 to 45yo males?
Eh... ? Action was pretty sparse. Certainly no adventure. No grand combat sequences. No splattered blood&guts-fests despite being a werewolf film. Light language. No T&A. Pretty weak.
There's not a whole lot here to drag in the classic male attention.

Okay, well... what was innit for the girls?
Protag's kinduva victim of circumstance. She doesn't actively lead an investigation into whodunit so much as she passively pieces together information that falls into her lap. She ain't no Erin Brokovitch in a red riding hood. So, not much of a role model there.
Then there's the lame betrothed-against-her will-to-the-young-money-with-social-position at the expense of her childhood true love. Yeah. Well... That whole thing was kinda bungled from stem to stern.
And then there's the whole girlfriends betraying each other, jealous of protag's beauty and athleticism, and family+social derring-dos that was all kinda muddled together. I'm sure it looked good on paper. But... execution... Eh?
So, again I'm not seeing much that would appeal to the classic female audience.

Unless, of course any of you wanna argue role reversal.
- In fact, typically chick flicks are replete with blood&guts gore strewn combat, coarse language and titillating T&A.
- And guys will drop the Benjis for period piece family dynamics and love denied triangles.

Yeah.
That would improve our screenplays so much better. :rolleyes:

Gender equality in this context has zero to do with pay-for-performance or voting or property ownership or anyone's rights in general.
Guys and girls, girls and guys like different things. Take a look in your closets. Take a look in the fridge.
It's not a mutually exclusive issue of zero-sum greater/lesser lesser/greater.
Red and blue are not the same. They are not equal.

Gender individuality is precisely what I'm identifying.
So, you can't sensibly argue gender equality - IN THE CONTEXT OF FILM MARKETING CONTENT - and individuality simultaneously.

MAYBE I'M A SEXIST PIG, but I don't think the director successfully made a "chick flick for the guys".
Maybe intentions of bringing "richness" to the film/story just made a muddled mess of it by unsuccessfully trying to satisfy too many demographics.
Maybe.

Last edited:
Country Strong, really good movie. Though a little too reminiscent of A Star Is Born.

24 hour Carole Lombard marathon. #1 beauty of all time in my opinion. Talented too.

Last edited:
The last movies I watched were:

Captain America - 4/10

- The WW2 setting was very interesting and both Captain America and Red skull looked amazing. Unfortunately the story was a bit weak, the dialogue was cheesy and the fact that they used a montage to show the cool action parts was very much disappointing.

The Fighter - 8/10

- I was very impressed with this movie. Mark Wahlberg gave a great performance, which I wasn't expecting, and Christian Bale was Incredible. Overall the acting was great, they really depicted the lower-class family atmosphere very well. The story was kinda cliche but so well written and performed, that it didn't really matter.

Just my humble opinions :)

Ran

I think it's Kurosawa's best movie. Then again, I'm a pretty pessimistic guy, and this movie is all kinds of bleak.

10/10

Saw Good Will Hunting for the first time the other day. My kind of film- heavy character development, internal conflict, and classic Damon and Affleck Boston accents :cool: 9/10

The Ghost Writer - 5/10
If you miss this Hitchcockian grey-weather fest then you ain't missing much. But then again, I'm not stupid enough to be held in suspense for very long as my givadam is broken. Frankly, it's a 30min movie with sh!tlods of time filler. I'd reccomend STATE OF PLAY as better investigative journalism film.

Youth in Revolt - 5/10
Before I turned it off thirty minutes into it I'm sure it would have continued to be a dandy, pubescent quirk fest, of which I've long progressed beyond. Way long. Both developmentally and... developmentally. I don't understand why a sane adult would want to revisit their own odd youth or peer into the odd youth of others.
Whatever.
If I wanna watch goofy kids I'll take JUNO and WHIP IT.

Last edited:
The Beaver - 6.5/10
It was done well; shooting, acting, dialog are all better than fair. The story pleasantly jumped around a bit, wasn't too predictable. It did a good job of not making a syrupy "all is well" ending. "Broken, but coping/dealing" endings are good. There's just no good take away from it. For the time and attention in the land of mental health I'd recommend LARS AND THE REAL GIRL instead. It's a much more caring film.
I hear ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND is pretty good. Maybe between this, that and SUCKER PUNCH I'll get my fill of other people's crazy bullsh!t. :)

Back