What's Stopping the Revolution?

I read a book on him earlier this year. from his start to his Duel movie. I expected to read that story. It wasn't in there. Makes you wonder how true it was.

I read a book on him earlier this year. from his start to his Duel movie. I expected to read that story. It wasn't in there. Makes you wonder how true it was.

Yeah, it's totally fake. But it's a fun story. As I know it, a young Spielberg literally snuck into a studio and just started to pretend to work there. After a while, he got noticed. I've put my googling skills to use, and believe that story to be 100% false. Doesn't make it any less fun of a story, haha.

He's a really nice guy, BTW. I've never met him, but many of my closest friends have waited on him, and their reports of his demeanor are 100% thumbs-up. Ya' gotta like a famous person who is kind to the waitstaff.

Web series are hard!

EDIT: I posted this without noticing that several pages (and many controversies) had passed since CF mentioned web-series...

Last edited:
Sorry, dude. I just re-read the thread, in its entirety. Which, by the way, I really didn't want to do. I did it for you. I'm afraid I see none of the personal attacks that you feel you were subjected to. There was also no threat of a ban. I believe the reference to the bloke who got banned a couple months ago was more of a prediction than an insinuation. As in, dude, if keep going down these roads, you're going to get banned. It was a warning. Just like I tried to warn you that if you want to fit in here, you might want to increase your chill factor by 1000%. Chill, dude, there is no conspiracy against you. I assure you, you'll be more than welcome here, but only if you cool it down. I'm speaking from personal experience, BTW. :cool:

The pages are there as are the name callings, troll fool etc I ignored initially and the false accusations I was a banned member and the calls that I should be banned. How can you lie in daylight in front of people and claim to be a film maker? You claim you reread the last few pages. So your denial they did not occur is simply an intentional overt falsehood. They are there in black and white, dude despite your fancy false words.

My point in this short post is, the work that emerges reflects who one is, no use fixing details downstream. Best be honest with oneself. Media industry is all about reputation, honesty and integrity and no one is an idiot.

You and the other one keep addressing me out of the blue and keep discussing me. Can't see why. That's another fact in black and white. Another one of your good ole boys ways of doing things as you claimed around here? I don't think so pal. It's just you two.

Do take it easy, partner.

I GUARANTEE that when Michael Jordan was a child, he didn't dream of maybe becoming good enough at basketball to maybe earn a college scholarship. No, he dreamed of becoming the greatest basketball player of all time.

And I GUARANTEE that MJ didn't become a great basketball player only by dreaming about it or even by dreaming about it, playing a couple of basketball games down the local park and then trying out for the Bulls. I also GUARANTEE that there have been countless tens of thousands of other children who dreamed of becoming the greatest basketball player of all time but who didn't.

[1] If I wanted to do things the traditional way, sure, I could move to Hollywood, get a job as a PA, work my way up the ladder and make connections, yadda yadda.
[2] For me, personally, it's all or nothing.
[3] Either I get "discovered", like Lena Dunham or the Duplass Bros.,
[4] or I'll be perfectly happy making films that don't turn a profit. You wanna why? It's a lot of fun! [5] So, tell me, if you think I'm doing it wrong, what's the correct path I should follow? Be specific.

1. That's one of the traditional ways, there are others but you apparently don't want any of the traditional ways. What you appear to want is not only to beat the very tough odds of succeeding in cinema but to compound those odds exponentially by only succeeding under your own terms. The aspiring indie filmmaking world appears chock full of narcissists, filmmakers who think the film industry and it's consumers are going to bend and accommodate to their personal desires. Those in the industry know that to stand any chance, you need the opposite approach. You need to adapt your personal desires to the industry, not the other way around.

2. Then it will be "nothing"! Sure, there are a tiny handful of exceptions, those who have gone from nothing to "all". These exceptions are quoted ad infinitum by dreamers, dreamers who are usually mis-quoting the exceptions and who have no concept of "the odds". 300,000 to 1 odds doesn't sound completely impossible or seem to bother most dreamers, maybe if they thought about it in terms of it being a hundred times less likely than getting struck by lightening, they would be a little more circumspect in how they approach trying to realise their filmmaking dreams?

3. Hang on a minute, you started this thread talking about Hollywood and a golden age of cinema and now you're quoting examples of: A. The Duplas Bros who have carved a reputation executive producing in the nano/micro budget indie world but whose own attempts at making films with a more Hollywood type budget have been spectacular flops and B. Someone who is successful in TV and not part of the cinema industry. Not that I'm knocking TV, either in it's own right or as one of those traditional routes to cinema.

4. Did you even read that before you wrote it? How are you are going to start or participate in a Hollywood revolution by making films which don't make a profit? How are you even going to make a living from films which don't make a profit? Do you really see nothing wrong with your plan?

5. I can't be specific without specific details of what you're trying to make and besides, there's no point in getting into specifics until you deal with the generalities. Your general approach, from what you've stated, is essentially the same as most other pure dreamers. Namely; not just to ignore the odds but to deliberately keep piling odds on top of odds until you're looking at a virtual impossibility. If you were really serious, you would be doing the exact opposite! You would be dedicating yourself to doing everything possible to reduce those odds of failure, regardless of whether that involved the "traditional ways" or things which you don't personally see as "a lot of fun". As an example, you want to make a superb film. Is that "superb" by your definition, superb by the standards/definition of other nano budget filmmakers or by amateur film festivals, superb by the standards of Hollywood, theatrical distributors or those who actually pay to watch theatrical features? If it's primarily the former, then you're making a film for yourself, to satisfy your hobby. If it's "all or nothing", then it will be nothing, because the role of big time Hollywood hobbyist filmmaker does not exist!

Frankly, though, I have no idea how you feel like you know where APE is coming from.

Yes, it's obvious that you "have no idea" and yet jax has in fact demonstrated a very good idea of where I'm coming from!

In this thread all he has done is argue about the semantics of the word "impossible"

You mean; in this thread all you have chosen to do is interpret my posts as being about the semantics of the word "possible". Presumably you've done that to avoid the "negativity" they represent to your impossible dream?

Knowing that I'm not interested in becoming a PA or a professional editor, how does somebody like me break into Hollywood? Be specific.

As specifically as possible: Somebody like you does NOT break into Hollywood! Hollywood is big business, if you don't want to take the time and effort to learn the rules of that business, how it works and develop the skills to be good at that business then Hollywood will have zero interest in you. Breaking into Hollywood with no conditions is damn hard, breaking into Hollywood with a whole bunch of conditions such as: "all or nothing", no traditional ways, rules are meant to be broken, it's all about my personal ideas of subjectivity and "superb", it must be my idea of "a lot of fun", etc., is virtually impossible.

So what's my specific plan? Become somebody else!! Ditch all those ridiculous, narcissistic conditions, learn what Hollywood is, how it works, how Hollywood films are made and learn how to do something which might actually interest Hollywood. Your plan of making whatever you fancy, however you fancy making it, for whatever spare cash you fancy and dreaming of a Hollywood revolution tailored to your fancy is just that and nothing more, a fanciful dream!

G

Wait, so APE, you're telling me I can't do what I want to do because of a figure of speech? I realize that English isn't your first language, but surely, you must know that when people say "dream the impossible", they don't literally mean "impossible". I'm saying aim high, shoot for the stars, and maybe you'll hit the moon. But since you apparently don't do well with figures of speech, allow me to be explicit.

Well said. :)

And I GUARANTEE that MJ didn't become a great basketball player only by dreaming about it or even by dreaming about it, playing a couple of basketball games down the local park and then trying out for the Bulls. I also GUARANTEE that there have been countless tens of thousands of other children who dreamed of becoming the greatest basketball player of all time but who didn't.

G

This is the hard cold reality and truth in this field that Sasa mentioned too.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but do y'all not understand what I mean when I encourage people to dream the IMPOSSIBLE? Do you think I don't know the meaning of the word "impossible"? Jesus, why would anyone want to tell me the odds, when I just told you that the dream I'm chasing is virtually impossible.

Here's our conversation, thus far:

"I'm going to attempt to do something that's virtually impossible."

"You shouldn't do that, it's virtually impossible."

"Yeah, I know. But chasing the dream is really fun for me. Plus, it isn't literally impossible, it's just virtually impossible."

"You shouldn't do that, it's virtually impossible."

"Did you not just hear me? I said this is fun for me. And why do you keep reminding me of the odds? I know the odds. That's part of the fun."

"You're childish."

"Enjoying my life is childish? Then I guess I'm childish."

I'll give a more detailed response later. For now, I gotta get to work, and then I'm watching a movie after that. Cuz, you know, life.

Web series are hard!

For sure it is! And you're good at it, BTW. Not blowing smoke up your ass. What I have in mind is not really a web-series, at least in the way that I imagine you imagine. Mine is going to be one of those me-talking-to-a-camera things, but of course with my own twist.

"I'm going to attempt to do something that's virtually impossible."

I think you said you were going to do the impossible, which, is different from the improbable. The world is shaped by those who achieve the improbable. The world is molded by those with unreasonable expectations. No one achieves the impossible.

Language is also important when you're attempting to be a leader. Remember that old "Knowing you're shit" is different to "Knowing your shit". A slight change can have large shifts in meaning.

Alas, I understand where APE is coming from. I also know that he can be a buzz kill to those who don't have the traditional resources to turn our dreams into a reality.

Take that Miami girl that floating in here for a few weeks looking for a million bucks to make her dream a reality. "So you have a budget?" "No." "How do you know you need the million?" "I just figure I need that much. Can you invest in me. It's my first film and I have a vision. I know you'll make a profit." Even you can see the futility right?

It's the same as APE can see that you expecting people to donate (probably 6 or 7 figures) free post audio work to produce a film that can pass QA to get theatrical distribution is improbable at best.

Dream! Go ahead and dream big. When it comes down to execution of your dream, you're going to need a plan that works in reality. A plan that is real. A plan that has more than a snowballs chance in hell of succeeding. A plan that is within your reach...

I think you said you were going to do the impossible, which, is different from the improbable. The world is shaped by those who achieve the improbable. The world is molded by those with unreasonable expectations. No one achieves the impossible.

Language is also important when you're attempting to be a leader. Remember that old "Knowing you're shit" is different to "Knowing your shit". A slight change can have large shifts in meaning.

Alas, I understand where APE is coming from. I also know that he can be a buzz kill to those who don't have the traditional resources to turn our dreams into a reality.

Take that Miami girl that floating in here for a few weeks looking for a million bucks to make her dream a reality. "So you have a budget?" "No." "How do you know you need the million?" "I just figure I need that much. Can you invest in me. It's my first film and I have a vision. I know you'll make a profit." Even you can see the futility right?

It's the same as APE can see that you expecting people to donate (probably 6 or 7 figures) free post audio work to produce a film that can pass QA to get theatrical distribution is improbable at best.

Dream! Go ahead and dream big. When it comes down to execution of your dream, you're going to need a plan that works in reality. A plan that is real. A plan that has more than a snowballs chance in hell of succeeding. A plan that is within your reach...

Yes. Wonderful. Brilliant even. I agree with every aspect of this. This is the harmonious mixture of both realistic expectations and high-flying dreams that I think should be encouraged more. One cannot do new and exciting things without keeping both concepts well in hand.

Holy shit, there's an APE bandwagon now? Seriously, why are we talking semantics?! Did any of you honestly not know that when I said "impossible" I was speaking figuratively? We're all human beings from planet Earth, are we not? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who uses figures of speech. So, fuck it, in defiance of your ridiculous desire to talk semantics in a fucking filmmaking forum, I'm switching back to my original statement. I'm going to achieve the impossible, and I mean that both literally and literally.

Should I assume that you apply the same logic to film? So, you don't believe in subtext or symbolism? You must be really big fans of Iñárritu films.

What?! When have I ever said that I expect anybody to donate 6 or 7 figures worth of audio post work? Show me where I said anything even slightly resembling that. I'm going to get the best people that I can get, no matter what that means. Why not see if any pro audio people are interested in a partnership?

In this thread, a first-time filmmaker is encouraged to ask people to literally work for free. Yet, when I, an experienced filmmaker, ask if anybody wants to take part in a profit-sharing partnership I'm told that I literally can't do that. This is mind-bottling to me. Your "logic" makes my brain hurt. It bottles the mind, both literally and literally.

And yo, Sweetie, where do you come off commenting on how likely my plan is to succeed? How do you know whether or not my plan is within my reach? Have I outlined my plan to you? Is there anywhere on this forum where I've given the details of my plan?

That'd be a resounding NO. I haven't shared my plan publicly. There's maybe three or four people in the world who know my plan. So please, spare me the negativity. You're making me feel like that dude on Maury Povich who jumps off the couch to say, "you don't know me!" (I really hope you have Maury down under, cuz that was kinda a funny reference).

Rest assured, I have a plan. This isn't the first time I've done this. I do know how the real world works. Not sure how you've come to the conclusion that I don't. Oh, yeah, that's right -- you're on the APE bandwagon. Ask him how many films he's made. Ask him how many features he's financed on a tiny budget. Ask him how many films he's produced on any budget. I'll tell you how many - zero. Yeah, let's listen to the guy who's never produced an indie film on the best way to produce an indie film. It can't be done. That's his advice.

Last edited:

1. That's one of the traditional ways, there are others but you apparently don't want any of the traditional ways. What you appear to want is not only to beat the very tough odds of succeeding in cinema but to compound those odds exponentially by only succeeding under your own terms. The aspiring indie filmmaking world appears chock full of narcissists, filmmakers who think the film industry and it's consumers are going to bend and accommodate to their personal desires. Those in the industry know that to stand any chance, you need the opposite approach. You need to adapt your personal desires to the industry, not the other way around.

2. Then it will be "nothing"! Sure, there are a tiny handful of exceptions, those who have gone from nothing to "all". These exceptions are quoted ad infinitum by dreamers, dreamers who are usually mis-quoting the exceptions and who have no concept of "the odds". 300,000 to 1 odds doesn't sound completely impossible or seem to bother most dreamers, maybe if they thought about it in terms of it being a hundred times less likely than getting struck by lightening, they would be a little more circumspect in how they approach trying to realise their filmmaking dreams?

3. Hang on a minute, you started this thread talking about Hollywood and a golden age of cinema and now you're quoting examples of: A. The Duplas Bros who have carved a reputation executive producing in the nano/micro budget indie world but whose own attempts at making films with a more Hollywood type budget have been spectacular flops and B. Someone who is successful in TV and not part of the cinema industry. Not that I'm knocking TV, either in it's own right or as one of those traditional routes to cinema.

4. Did you even read that before you wrote it? How are you are going to start or participate in a Hollywood revolution by making films which don't make a profit? How are you even going to make a living from films which don't make a profit? Do you really see nothing wrong with your plan?

5. I can't be specific without specific details of what you're trying to make and besides, there's no point in getting into specifics until you deal with the generalities. Your general approach, from what you've stated, is essentially the same as most other pure dreamers. Namely; not just to ignore the odds but to deliberately keep piling odds on top of odds until you're looking at a virtual impossibility. If you were really serious, you would be doing the exact opposite! You would be dedicating yourself to doing everything possible to reduce those odds of failure, regardless of whether that involved the "traditional ways" or things which you don't personally see as "a lot of fun". As an example, you want to make a superb film. Is that "superb" by your definition, superb by the standards/definition of other nano budget filmmakers or by amateur film festivals, superb by the standards of Hollywood, theatrical distributors or those who actually pay to watch theatrical features? If it's primarily the former, then you're making a film for yourself, to satisfy your hobby. If it's "all or nothing", then it will be nothing, because the role of big time Hollywood hobbyist filmmaker does not exist!

Yes, it's obvious that you "have no idea" and yet jax has in fact demonstrated a very good idea of where I'm coming from!

You mean; in this thread all you have chosen to do is interpret my posts as being about the semantics of the word "possible". Presumably you've done that to avoid the "negativity" they represent to your impossible dream?

As specifically as possible: Somebody like you does NOT break into Hollywood! Hollywood is big business, if you don't want to take the time and effort to learn the rules of that business, how it works and develop the skills to be good at that business then Hollywood will have zero interest in you. Breaking into Hollywood with no conditions is damn hard, breaking into Hollywood with a whole bunch of conditions such as: "all or nothing", no traditional ways, rules are meant to be broken, it's all about my personal ideas of subjectivity and "superb", it must be my idea of "a lot of fun", etc., is virtually impossible.

So what's my specific plan? Become somebody else!! Ditch all those ridiculous, narcissistic conditions, learn what Hollywood is, how it works, how Hollywood films are made and learn how to do something which might actually interest Hollywood. Your plan of making whatever you fancy, however you fancy making it, for whatever spare cash you fancy and dreaming of a Hollywood revolution tailored to your fancy is just that and nothing more, a fanciful dream!

G

Wow. You're something else, dude. I'm floored, I literally don't know how to react to this other than with laughter. Jesus Christ, why do you hate me so much? Is it because you're angry that I coined the acronym APE? Are you upset that people refer to you that way, instead of as "Audio Professional Expert". Oh my lord, who the fuck puts the word "expert" in their forum handle?!

And you just called me a narcissist, because I want to live my life the way I best enjoy it.

Oh, the irony. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

When did I ever say that I expect Hollywood to bend to my aspirations? Oh that's right, I didn't. What I said is that I'm comfortable in life, and I enjoy making movies. I enjoy making plans that I think might get my movies noticed by people with pockets full of cash. You know, like the Duplass Bros did. And holy shit, are you seriously talking shit about the Duplass Bros?! Cuz those are fightin' words for me. They successfully transitioned from making movies on their old-school camcorder, with no audio recording equipment, virtually no crew, and no lighting equipment, to making and starring in big-budget Hollywood-produced films with A-list actors. Yeah, what total failures they are. You're not negative at all, APE.

Would you like me to write your response to this post? I'm pretty sure it's going to include at least one instance of name-calling, yet another insistence that my plan you know nothing about is destined to fail, and a handful of vague generalizations about how the only way anyone can make a great film is with money.

Remind me -- how many films have you produced? Cuz I'm curious where you get your expertise from.

Did any of you honestly not know that when I said "impossible" I was speaking figuratively?

I took it as you were arguing a point. If you didn't mean what you said, why say it?

Should I assume that you apply the same logic to film?
So please, spare me the negativity.

If the audience doesn't understand your message, is that the fault of the audience of the filmmaker?

Then again, you took my post in a way where I had no intention. I was attempting to encourage you to chase your dream but keep one foot squarely on the ground. Now that I re-read the post, it's obvious I missed the encouraging part. Is that my fault or yours? Faaaark, who cares so long as its sorted out in the long term.

there's an APE bandwagon now?

That's like saying there's a Cracker bandwagon. Are you saying I have to join your bandwagon to agree with some of what you're saying? I'd rather shit in a bag, set it alight on your doorstep than join your bandwagon, APE's or anyone elses bandwagon for that matter.

I'm just a cranky old fart who doesn't have my head stuck so far up my ass I cannot see wisdom when it appears.

How do you know whether or not my plan is within my reach?

I don't, and frankly, since I'm not involved, other than one of those "I like to see people succeed, but if they fail, it won't affect me kind of attitude" caring whether it's within your reach. That's for you to decide.

I really hope you have Maury down under, cuz that was kinda a funny reference

Reference is lost on me. I had to google the name. He's a male Oprah with big teeth? I'm sure the joke worked elsewhere.

Ask him how many features he's financed on a tiny budget.

Have you? I'm not talking taking up to $50k from your pocket and run with it, I'm saying, raised a proper, feasible budget for a no-budget film.

Isn't that like asking how many formula 1 races have you entered with a go-kart?

Can you imagine Samuel L mutha-****** racing around the track on a go-cart in a F1 race. "oh... you cut me off one more time mutha-******..."

let's listen to the guy who's never produced an indie film on the best way to produce an indie film.

By using that logic first time filmmakers shouldn't make films as they don't know what they're doing.

Audio is the one of the main reasons films don't find distribution or are rejected from film festivals. Is listening to what a post audio professional has to say about red flags in your plan (especially when it pertains to audio) really that bad of an idea. You have an experienced resource available to you and you refuse, not only to heed his advice, but you refuse to listen in the first place. Do you really wonder why he thinks you shouldn't attempt this?

Let me be clear, I'm encouraging you to make your film.

This isn't the first time I've done this.

Out of interest, feature films? If so, how successful?

For the record, I like you Sweetie. I do. And yes, there's a C-Funk bandwagon. C'mon and hop on-board!

I'm totally gonna answer your question about my experience as a feature filmmaker, but in a new thread.

*Shhh, don't tell anybody -- I'm kinda starting shit on purpose. This is all part of what I would call "positive trolling", or "prolling" as directorik coined it.

*Shhh, don't tell anybody -- this prolling is all part of THE PLAN. :D

Back