• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Whatever happened to Dialog Flow?

Hey, how ya doin'? First post, etc, etc...

I find myself, more and more lately, critiquing my work heavily, re-reading it tens of times to make sure there's no grammatical errors, and most importantly that the plot, as well as the dialog, flows together well, a nice smooth transition from one inter-dialog set to the next. I've been told all my writing life that this is our goal, as writers and screen writers. Dialog should be natural, not forced, or overtly leading. It seems to me that this concept is being driven into us hopefuls and independent artists, while quite a few of the Big-Hitter Hollywood hired writers are given a free pass. My work schedule of late ha snot allowed me to watch as many movies as I've liked, but last night my friend dragged me off to the Twilight New Moon showing in our next town over's small cinema. Trying to avoid prerequisite thoughts fueled by the internet's abhorrent hatred of this fad, I figured "Let's look at it from a blind eye, and take in what I can." The only thing I really walked away from it with was; 1) The Dialog "flowed" very awkwardly, very bare bones basic conversations that I feel left a lot of questions, and a lot of unnecessary answers as well. At this point I'm standing firm that the bad acting at such points did not help the poor transposed dialog. The tragedy to me is as a free-lancer, Indie, however you wish to call it, I slave myself over my scripts and short stories to make them "perfect" before I even decide if I want to attempt the project, when its perfectly acceptable for these writers/the writer to have such dry and unnatural dialog, when they barely have to be creative in the first place. 2) The plot was very predictable. Twenty minutes in I was able to discern the major plot points, and the order in which they would happen, which to be fair I can do with a lot of things I see on TV and cinema, however, the filler in between was dis-interesting and rather predictable as well.

I know, I know, I lack ovaries so some how that leaves me inept to see the true genius of the work, however note I'm not mocking the concept or the obsessive-fangirl following, truth be told the concept intrigues me, and I'm thankful that there's another book on the shelves that is succeeding in getting the younger folk interested in the concept of reading. My only complaint at this moment is the shoddy workmanship displayed, whoever is at fault, so be it, I'm simply disappointed that dialog this unnatural is acceptable. I do not fear the industry as a whole at this point, I'm somewhat nervous about the future, however. Earlier this year I did work as an extra in Tony Scott's "Unstoppable" and from the scenes I was involved in the attention to detail was astounding, unmatched by anything I've seen so far. True, its unfair to compare the work of Tony Scott to whoever did the Twilight movie, but that's more of my statement of the industry as a whole, I've witnessed something I felt was a great OCD-like attention to detail (I'll reserve final judgment til next year when the film actually hits...) and I've witnessed a slipshod feeling production. It seems almost like the writer/writers of the script were sitting around and decided "Well, we KNOW this is going to make multimillions regardless, let's get hammered!" and at one point must've sobered up, at one point towards the middle the dialog suddenly became golden. It flowed extremely naturally and well, there were a few good one liners and borderline epic sayings, but just when I was getting some hope for the rest of it, it fell apart, back to the shambles the original dialog style sauntered in using, tripping over it own feet like that awkward kid that was always picked last for everything.

Now, I know, mistakes make the world go 'round, if not for a few late-night mistakes half of us wouldn't be here, and there certainly have been more than a fair share of sucky movies over the decades. My fear, however, is that with everyone defending this to its purposed demise we may begin to see a slacking in the movie industry. "Hell they made umpteen million with this, let's push our luck!" and then society's cinematic art form begins to fall, plot lines and dialog we pay $8 dollars to see in a cinematic theater will resemble the ramblings of an inexperienced flop film, "kids with guns" concept ,if you will. It'll be like watching YouTube on a larger projected screen...

Please, tell me I'm not the only one to feel the dialog and plot were so forced.

Edit: Posted in Screenwriting because its supposed to more of an introspective look at our own writing and the future of screenwriting, rather than a bitch about Twilight, which I admit, it looks like....

Last edited:
I have ovaries, but I found sitting through Twilight (the first one) with my 12 year old niece, excruciating.

try not having them, and being stuck in a room with teen age girls trying their hardest to shoot blood out of them so some big chinned pale guy will lick it off em..... (slightly inappropriate , but that's what it was like for me -_-)

my girlfriend dragged me there. cant say no to what she offered.....

but the movie was all most too dry for me, the only reason it wasn't is due to the fact that Kristen Stewart is extremely attractive too me.
That can only go so far.

I strongly believe the only reason this movie is raking in all this cash, is due to the fact that its fans can not stop watching it.

It is the harry potter of today.

No matter how pissed off the movies made the harry potter fans, they could not stop watching the movies....

speaking of witch, what ever happened to the movies..... hmm....... they kind off just stopped....

anyways, i give twilight new moon two thumbs down, for far too many reasons to list.

I find myself, more and more lately, critiquing my work heavily, re-reading it tens of times to make sure there's no grammatical errors, and most importantly that the plot, as well as the dialog, flows together well, a nice smooth transition from one inter-dialog set to the next. I've been told all my writing life that this is our goal, as writers and screen writers. Dialog should be natural, not forced, or overtly leading. It seems to me that this concept is being driven into us hopefuls and independent artists, while quite a few of the Big-Hitter Hollywood hired writers are given a free pass. My work schedule of late ha snot allowed me to watch as many movies as I've liked, but last night my friend dragged me off to the Twilight New Moon showing in our next town over's small cinema. Trying to avoid prerequisite thoughts fueled by the internet's abhorrent hatred of this fad, I figured "Let's look at it from a blind eye, and take in what I can." The only thing I really walked away from it with was; 1) The Dialog "flowed" very awkwardly, very bare bones basic conversations that I feel left a lot of questions, and a lot of unnecessary answers as well. At this point I'm standing firm that the bad acting at such points did not help the poor transposed dialog. The tragedy to me is as a free-lancer, Indie, however you wish to call it, I slave myself over my scripts and short stories to make them "perfect" before I even decide if I want to attempt the project, when its perfectly acceptable for these writers/the writer to have such dry and unnatural dialog, when they barely have to be creative in the first place. 2) The plot was very predictable. Twenty minutes in I was able to discern the major plot points, and the order in which they would happen, which to be fair I can do with a lot of things I see on TV and cinema, however, the filler in between was dis-interesting and rather predictable as well.

I know, I know, I lack ovaries so some how that leaves me inept to see the true genius of the work, however note I'm not mocking the concept or the obsessive-fangirl following, truth be told the concept intrigues me, and I'm thankful that there's another book on the shelves that is succeeding in getting the younger folk interested in the concept of reading. My only complaint at this moment is the shoddy workmanship displayed, whoever is at fault, so be it, I'm simply disappointed that dialog this unnatural is acceptable. I do not fear the industry as a whole at this point, I'm somewhat nervous about the future, however. Earlier this year I did work as an extra in Tony Scott's "Unstoppable" and from the scenes I was involved in the attention to detail was astounding, unmatched by anything I've seen so far. True, its unfair to compare the work of Tony Scott to whoever did the Twilight movie, but that's more of my statement of the industry as a whole, I've witnessed something I felt was a great OCD-like attention to detail (I'll reserve final judgment til next year when the film actually hits...) and I've witnessed a slipshod feeling production. It seems almost like the writer/writers of the script were sitting around and decided "Well, we KNOW this is going to make multimillions regardless, let's get hammered!" and at one point must've sobered up, at one point towards the middle the dialog suddenly became golden. It flowed extremely naturally and well, there were a few good one liners and borderline epic sayings, but just when I was getting some hope for the rest of it, it fell apart, back to the shambles the original dialog style sauntered in using, tripping over it own feet like that awkward kid that was always picked last for everything.

Now, I know, mistakes make the world go 'round, if not for a few late-night mistakes half of us wouldn't be here, and there certainly have been more than a fair share of sucky movies over the decades. My fear, however, is that with everyone defending this to its purposed demise we may begin to see a slacking in the movie industry. "Hell they made umpteen million with this, let's push our luck!" and then society's cinematic art form begins to fall, plot lines and dialog we pay $8 dollars to see in a cinematic theater will resemble the ramblings of an inexperienced flop film, "kids with guns" concept ,if you will. It'll be like watching YouTube on a larger projected screen...

Please, tell me I'm not the only one to feel the dialog and plot were so forced.

Edit: Posted in Screenwriting because its supposed to more of an introspective look at our own writing and the future of screenwriting, rather than a bitch about Twilight, which I admit, it looks like....
I completely zoned out after the first sentence.

I would say stop worrying about someone else's writing and worry about your own rambling, narcissistic jibber-jabber.

I completely zoned out after the first sentence.

I would say stop worrying about someone else's writing and worry about your own rambling, narcissistic jibber-jabber.

well, if you had bothered to read what he had typed, my good sir, you would see that it is not narcissistic jibber-jabber, but instead a well thought out review, and essesment of hollywoods current feature films screenplays and plots. i urge you to read it instead of commenting blindly, or just read it to make up for the blind post, it is not a bad read.

well, if you had bothered to read what he had typed, my good sir, you would see that it is not narcissistic jibber-jabber, but instead a well thought out review, and essesment of hollywoods current feature films screenplays and plots. i urge you to read it instead of commenting blindly, or just read it to make up for the blind post, it is not a bad read.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. After writing it up I sat back, looked at it, and said aloud, "Well, now, that seems almost like a trolling..." and seriously debated posting it or not. I'm glad that my thoughts are at least being considered, and hell, feeling right doesn't help! :lol:

And now you have an idea...

...of what Hollywood is like. LOL.

I haven't seen the film -- I'll have to wait till they hit satellite because I sure as HELL won't be spending money out of my pocket to watch them.

But what you've observed is absolutely correct. Those that are already IN THE CLUB get a PASS to write whatever they want. Plus, this sequel of the previous film was RUSHED in order to capitalize on its popularity which, as everyone in Hollywood knows, could wane at any time.

That's certainly NOT an excuse for the film... But Hollywood -- especially in this current economical climate has pulled back the reigns and hunkered down to create PRODUCT. Except for those few studio filmmakers that still have enough PULL to create something worth seeing, the studios are taking advantage of the current economical climate. Most medium-sized distributors have fallen to the side and the studios are charging so much more to distribute movies right now that in a lot of cases, it doesn't even make financial sense to make a movie.

The good news is that there are newcomers entering the medium-sized distribution arena but it will take a few years for them to obtain the venues they need to compete on a somewhat even playing field.

What does all this mean?

It means PRODUCT.

The studios play to the current movie-going demographic that buys most of the tickets... That means movies like TWILIGHT and kid's films. Comedies and Romantic Comedies with some Horror and Thriller thrown in for good measure but CREATED to play to that particular genre's ticket-buying demographic which ultimately, makes it formulaic at best to those of us that actually LOVE films.

It's almost as if you could get a copy of one of Syd Field's screenwriting books and mark off the formulaic plot as it plays. It's like people going to McDonald's to get something to eat... It's PREDICTABLE. They KNOW what they're going to get and that makes them feel comfortable.

The movies are no different... Unfortunately and again, because of the current economical climate, box office is UP and when box office is UP, Hollywood PLAYS to what is successful. Unfortunately, that means PRODUCT.

Gone are the days of a good Indie film playing SOMEWHERE every weekend... Nobody wants to distribute THAT movie right now. There are many MANY amazing Indie films sitting on the shelf RIGHT NOW with actual name actors in them... Nobody will distribute them so they SIT. Many are finding their way direct to DVD because the longer they sit on the shelf, the more money is lost on them.

Filmmakers are even selling their films at some of the major film festivals for MUCH MUCH LESS than it cost them to make the damn thing just so the movie MIGHT have a chance at getting seen... And guess what? It usually goes direct to DVD too and doesn't get seen.

Unfortunately and until the economy comes back -- assuming it does -- now is really NOT the time to be making Indie films "IF" you're going to try and make that film compete with the studios on any level... Sure... There will be those very few exceptions... There are always those very few exceptions.

But back to your observation...

What's so funny about the concept is that as a screenwriter, or should I say, A SPEC SCREENWRITER who's not sold a script yet... You're still held to the standard of which you speak and obviously write to yourself i.e., try to shop a script around and you will see that it does have to adhere to the level of professionalism you yourself adhere to.

In other words... Those OUTSIDE the club are held to a much higher standard than those inside the club.

filmy

What's so funny about the concept is that as a screenwriter, or should I say, A SPEC SCREENWRITER who's not sold a script yet... You're still held to the standard of which you speak and obviously write to yourself i.e., try to shop a script around and you will see that it does have to adhere to the level of professionalism you yourself adhere to.

In other words... Those OUTSIDE the club are held to a much higher standard than those inside the club.

filmy

Thank you, that's the point I originally started to attempt to make, but got lost somewhere along the path inside my mind, leaving me unable to simply One-liner it so directly like that.

As I stated, I do not greatly fear the future of the industry, I've seen something this year that was a total pile, if you will, and at the same time I witnessed the production of something, which I hold some higher hopes for for the future. And, again, I realize the Twilight franchise is banking its self on a pre-existing fanbase, who 90% of which will love it no matter what.

I guess, rethinking, I don't exactly fear the future, so much as I'm bothered by this In vs Out of the Club thing, but, alas, I feel that is the current state of any group.

I'm sorry, did you think there was only ONE kind of film?

As much as writers may voice contempt for nearly-story-free pictures like Transformers or pandering treacle like Twilight, we still have the Informant, we still have Batman and District 9 and Pirate Radio.

Look back 50 years, We had Elia Kazan & early Kubrick movies but also Plan 9 and a whole battery of Joan Crawford weepers. If it keeps the theatres open, I say: good

Back