What would u like to see adapted as a movie?

not read that one. i will add it to 'the list' (sounds all very mysterious, but i can assure is not so).
anything by her, i can only speak for myself (obviously) but i found her book so challenging.
in the way that it challenged me in ways + arenas i didn't even know i could be contested with.
left me vulnerable. a real eye-opener.
on a seperate note - i always wanted there to be a reworking of Nietzsche's Zarathustra stories. I feel he would be the perfect superhero/anti-hero. thats become something of a mission of mine, to write that one, so watch it.... ;)

I'd like to see Roald Dahl's 'BFG' handled by someone like Tim Burton, giving it a nice darker tone.

And we desperately, desperately need a good trilogy of Frank Herbert's 'Dune' novels. It so deserves it's place among great cinema. Dave Lynch's one was so-so. And I heard there was a mini series on sci fi channel, but I've yet to fully watch that.

And while comic book adaptations are rife at the monent, there should be movies of comic bad guys! Since they're easily just as interesting as the heroes.

And we desperately, desperately need a good trilogy of Frank Herbert's 'Dune' novels. It so deserves it's place among great cinema. Dave Lynch's one was so-so. And I heard there was a mini series on sci fi channel, but I've yet to fully watch that.

IMO Lynch's was better. The miniseries was closer to the actual story but it lacked any emotion. I like Will Hurt but his Duke Atredies was monotone. The whole experience was kinda monotone. I would have to rewatch to come up with other examples.

yeah good point. Thats the problem with a miniseries or something made for t.v (usually with american programmes), they all seem rushed in a way. its almost like the tv execs are saying 'this is my airtime, i want it filled up with lots of stuff!!'. And I think that's a sydrome that the 'Dune' miniseries suffered from, resulting in quick scenes and Will Hurt's performance.

It just makes me think, if they got all this money to pour into something for t.v. then why not make a cinema feature instead? ya know it makes sense.

IMO, the Sci-Fi Channel version of Dune was long overdue and rather good overall.

(They also did "Dune Messiah" & "Children of Dune", combined. It's 3 DVDs long) :cool:

The only thing Lynch's version had going for it was concept art, set design and wardrobe. The screenplay was abysmal and a prime example of expository writing at its worst. (The voiceovers never stopped). Additionally, the story was absolutely butchered.

Seen Lynch's version on TV recently? Take a look at the name of the director now. Hey, it's Alan Smithee! Yes, it's so bad that Lynch himself washed his hands of it.

Mind you, that won't stop me from getting the extended uncut version of it when it is released later this year. (It's also supposed to be in the first batch of HD-DVD at the end of the year)
smiley_fatpig.gif

The TV adaptation may have had failings in a few areas, but it is a great example of how a strong, well-written story can overcome a made-for-cable budget and the odd dodgey-looking set.

_______

I don't think a yet-newer adaptation of the original books would be in order. Personally, I would rather see other Herbert books taken to the screen. He wrote dozens of books dealing with "genetic engineering" issues... which would be very relevant for today.

Especially "The Jesus Incident" and "The Lazarus Effect".

There is also a slew of pulp-style sci-fi to consider... "The God-Makers" would be a great pick, too.

:abduct:

There is a film called Grand Theft Auto, but it came out decades ago. i suspect the game series ( the first one at least) is based loosely on that, but I'm not too sure. But remember, game conversions into movies don't tend to go terribly well at all. I'm sure anyone who's seen Tomb Raider would agree, the only thing that had going for it was Jolie's Jubblies :P

Anyways, yea Zen, i would agree that the film world could do with some decent sci fi novel adaptations. Some of Peter Hamilton's stuff springs to mind, like Pandora's Star. Rather that than another half baked 'Aliens' movie.

Back