What was the last film you actually paid to see in theater and enjoyed?

Plus, the filet mignons I eat are easily over $45 - dunno where you would find a $10 one and I doubt it would be that good :)

:lol: you caught me in a sloppy analogy, I was talking about movie tix. I live just outside of Manhattan, trust me I would never trust a $10 filet. (I guess the real trouble is... all movies are the same price, but can very quite drastically in quality and experience.)

I guess that this is why reviews, trailers and other information about films exist: so that you can inform yourself and only go to see the films that you want to see.

Obviously there is going to be some disappointment but very few people see EVERYTHING that comes to the cinemas, so you've got to choose where to put your money. If you order a steak and love it so much that you order it again, but it's crappy this time, then that's the restaurant getting it wrong. If you loved The Social Network so much that you decide to go see Sucker Punch this week, that's you getting it wrong.

Another possible analogy ( yeah I know)... The reason some resorts have "adults only" status (to keep the riff-raff and distractions to a minimum.) Of course they'd have to come up with a new name for it, as adults only theater implies something else entirely.

I don't see why it has to be a completely different location. I think it'd be excellent policy for a large cineplex to have a minimum age for any R-Rated movie. Maybe 16 (not an arbitrary number, 16 being the typical age when kids begin carrying state ID) should be the minimum age required, with adult supervision of course.

What's up with parents who bring young children to R-Rated movies? That's bad parenting, in my opinion, and it's not good business to allow one customer to anger all of the other customers.

Just saw Battle Los Angeles yesterday. I went in expecting only an action / FX extravaganza. That's exactly what I got, and it did deliver in that regard. I enjoyed it!

HANNA was pretty cool. The Bourne cutie never got stupid like a lot of these other films.

Thinking back, I also enjoyed the first two UNDERWORLD films when they released.

Last edited:
I love movies. I have never regretted seeing a movie. Never.
I love seeing movies in a theater, sharing the experience with
total strangers, the way the filmmakers indented. Even movies
I don't like. I have never regretted seeing a movie in a theater.
Even movies I didn't enjoy.

I think the last movie I paid for and actually enjoyed was "pAUL".
I'm going to see "Hannah" in a couple of hours.

I agree with every word. I thought pAUL was really enjoyable. (And I can't wait to go to Comic-Con in July) I also saw Hanna and Your Highness this weekend and liked both films for different reasons. I try to go to matinees on the weekends to keep the cost down. I just really like to see movies in the theater.

There is a theater near me in the Burbank area that lets SAG members watch for free, if cost is an issue...
Did you know that all theaters in Los Angeles allow SAG, WGA
and DGA members in free? Not all the time, but always during
"awards season". Many allow free admission to guild members
all the time.

I also saw Hanna and Your Highness this weekend and liked both films for different reasons. I try to go to matinees on the weekends to keep the cost down. I just really like to see movies in the theater.
I liked "Hanna" and absolutely hated "Your Highness". But I don't
regret seeing it. That's where I differ from most of you here. Even
when I hate a movie I don't regret seeing it. And seeing a bad movie
doesn't make me cautious about seeing movies. I know for an absolute
fact that I will see more bad ones and some good ones.

And I don't quite understand the restaurant example. If I have a
bad meal at a restaurant I don't return to THAT restaurant - I don't
stop going to restaurants. Just because I see a bad movie doesn't
mean I stop seeing movies. Or just because I see a bad movie doesn't
mean paying to see movies is a risk.

"The Social Network" is one of the last I watched that I thought was real good. I plan on going to see some more films soon. Hopefully something will be worth talking about. I really liked "The Town" ,"Scott Pilgrilm", and "Due Date" when I watched them in theater months ago. You can see those all on DVD now.

Last edited:
I see about a movie a week in theaters. I try very hard to see the $6 matinees, but every so often pay the $11 nighttime ticket. The mediocre and bad films far outweigh the good, but I still appreciate the experience of going to the theater.

The Good: Rango, Blue Valentine, True Grit, The Social Network, Unstoppable, Easy A, Scott Pilgrim
The Mediocre: Your Highness, I Am Number Four, Biutiful, The Green Hornet, Tron: Legacy, The King's Speech, Due Date, Tangled
The Bad: Battle: LA, Sucker Punch, The Roommate, Red

But as much as I love the theater, I am eagerly awaiting warmer nights because there is nothing quite like the drive in. :)

Saw Insidious last weekend. Absolutely loved it. It was a creepy ghost story with a slow burn. With the exception of one very fake-looking CGI shot, it felt very old-school, with nods to films like The Entity (it had Barbara Hershey in it) and a little bit of Poltergeist. Definitely seeing this again.

Just watched "Hop". I enjoyed it. The only movie I HATED so far this year was Season of the Witch. So far I've liked all the other movies so far this year.

Last movie I went to go see was "Super", by James Gunn. Didn't find it to be as satisfying as his freshman attempt of "Slither" back in 2006. But I enjoyed it.

Before that, I got to see "I Saw the Devil". Fantastic film! Amazing direction, performances, cinematography, etc.

I don't much bother with Hollywood cinemas anymore...

Back