What to do after you finish your script

Hey guys I am finally close to being done with my script for my first short film. But the one thing that I'm still stuck on how is gonna work is finding cast and crew. I cannot use my friends for a couple of reasons, 1 they're ass holes, 2 can't really play the role of who I need them to, and 3 they wouldn't go all out for it. So I have realized that I'm gonna have to find other people to play the roles. So what I'm asking is how do you get a cast and crew for your short. I don't know how to find people. I would need people that will volunteer, will be directed by a 14 year old, and know what they're doing. So how do you think I should do this? If you have any other tips before I start filming that would also be helpful.

For your first few movies you'll have to rely on people you know.
Kinda sucks and they won't give it their all. But without a bit of
a track record you aren't going to find too many people who know
what they are doing.

Does your school have a drama class? There might be actors and
even some crew there.

Try searching for threats on finding actors. (the search function on this site sucks). If you are in an area saturated with actors, a simple online ad (Craig's list or Mandy's etc.) can do the trick. Otherwise you'll have to be more creative and contact amateur theaters or drama departments etc. Or just bite the bullet and cast your friends.

Alright I guess the drama class thing is a pretty good idea if I can get some of the older ones (because I need people that look in their 20's) that could work pretty well! Thanks

Do a little research in your area, and find places to post notices.

For instance, in Michigan, there is this posting site.

When you post, make your project sound as engaging as possible and make the characters sound interesting. Try to be specific about the dates and what you will provide, but don't feel bad about posting that there is no pay. There are lots of short films that do not pay and there are many actors in their 20's who are trying to build experience and get some footage for their reels.

However, I will say that if you can provide anything, even gas money, it will go a looooong way towards improving the talent level of your candidate pool.

Good Luck! :)

BTW: Always remember that if you are open to any ethnicity for a role(s), make sure you specifically mention that.

Alright I don't no If I have money to pay peoples gas, In the bank I only have like 500 or 600$ but I guess I could say that food will be provided. I don't really know what people would be wanting.

While others have given find advice I don't know that most of
it is right for a 14 year old making his first short film. I suspect
not one of the people offering advice cast their first film from
casting websites when they were 14 years old. Nor did they
pay for gas.

I don't really know what people would be wanting.
What the others have said is right - actors want to be fed and
given gas money. That usually means spending more money
than you have if that's the direction you choose to go. As
ahennessey said, you need a shooting schedule that you stick
to; shoot dates, locations, call times before you put out casting
notices. Then you will need to hold auditions; a place to do it,
some refreshments, at least one other person to help you. Are
you ready to that? Can you afford to do all that for your first
short film? As soon as you step outside of your circle to reach
out to people you don't know there are some expectations. If
you fail to meet those expectations you risk looking less than
professional. And right now, at 14 making your first short you
are not professional.

So I go back to my original advice and now that I have read
your script I have further advice; write a script that uses your
friends and then use them. Overcome that difficult challenge
and make three of four short films. Show people you can actually
finish a few short films. As you do that work on your current
script to make it better, to make it interesting to older actors.
Then you will have a track record as a 14 year old director who
isn't all talk but actually makes movies. Then you can branch
out to actors and crew who are more serious.

Thanks directorik there's a lot of sense in doing that, I guess I will have to end up using my friends, the only reason I hesitate is because they would hate going hard at it, (like spending a lot of time and using fancy gear or lights or really anything like that) but I guess I was going to have to some time. I think I'll hold up on the Milk Run for a little or at least until I have some experience.

You're 14.
What's that? Eighth? Ninth grade?
Move beyond YOUR friends.
Go ask some of the students you probably don't know well but you kinda have seen that they might be good in front of the camera.
If it helps, watch 'Super 8.' Remember the loud bossy kid character that played the director? Yeah. You kinda gotta throw all sense of self-secrecy and decorum right out the window.
Big awkward moment risk coming your way.
Tell 'em what you want to do, what you can do, and how you wanna see if they're game - or - would they mind recommending someone else your way?

Social media casting call might also work.

Also, it might be useful to start accumulating future A/V geeks around you.

Now, you may want to consider shelving your current first short film project and start getting involved practicing shots and editing sequences for your schools extra curricular activities: Choral, band, assorted sports, ROTC drill (if you're in HS already), etc.

A) You'll become VERY familiar with your equipment.
B) You'll later know how what seemed good in the field (future "on set") turns out good/bad in the editing booth.
C) You'll start developing relationships with classmates for... your summer project, maybe even a spring break project: your shelved short.

Finally, start writing for the talent resources YOU DO HAVE - or have cultivated.
It's hard asking or getting some people to do A B & C when really all they're good at is E F & G.
Invite them over, brainstorm, work together to develop a team.

SURPRISE! Filmmaking is largely a group activity, and the director is the coach. :yes:

GL!

You made it very clear why you hesitate using your friends. I
understand - I had to do it when I was starting. But two things
happened after the first one was finished and I showed it at
school; all my friends where proud to have worked on it and
other people in my school wanted to help on the next one. It
was worth the problems.

Are you using fancy gear and lights on this movie? Are you sure
that when they see the fancy gear and lights they won't change
their work ethic?

rayw, my HS has a broadcasting team that does all the of the schools video stuff, which I plan to join but I can't until I'm a junior. I'm fairly comfortable with my current gear, I've done a lot of things of like family stuff like vacations and such for the past two years. And I used to do videos on YouTube for a while, so I'm comfortable with my editing program, camera and mic. directorik, yeah I guess I won't know how they'll act in front of a camera until I try I guess.

rayw, my HS has a broadcasting team that does all the of the schools video stuff, which I plan to join but I can't until I'm a junior.
You don't have to join - you can talk to the people about your
project and have them join you. That's a great place to find
crew for your movie. Drama class is a great place to find actors.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you should branch out from your asshole
(your word) friends who won't go all out and aren't right for your
movie. Get the broadcasting team on as crew, drama kids as cast
and make your movie!

Back