What things do a lot of new filmmakers miss when making their first movie?

I've done a lot of practice in my free time, and I think I have enough knowledge to comment on make up particularly. There are plenty of other areas I will not comment on since I have no experience on. I've also worked on other people's movies and learned from their mistakes as well as mine.

Last edited:
Interesting observations. I agree completely with the art direction. So many new filmmakers I talk to don't really think of how much wardrobe and dressing the location can add to the story and theme. Audio is another area that people tend to ignore. I can't stand watching shorts with bad audio. Most of the time I won't.

Okay so I have a crew established, film equipment, I have my script almost ready, but I don't have actors/actresses yet (They will come soon as soon as I finalize my characters)

Now what do you think most new filmmakers that have never made any form of short/feature length movie miss out on that they don't necessarily prepare themselves for before production?

Like what are some things you didn't realize until actual production that you didn't know about during pre-production that you thought you knew or just didn't expect that you could shed some light on with me?

I'm about to make my first feature length independent movie

Thanks! :)

Audition your actors/actresses and also arrange another time after saying yes to meet up with them. Be flexible when it comes to booking the initial time and date making sure they are very sure they can make it. If they do not show up and do not give you any warning throw their CV in the trash. Many a film and short film has been ruined by flaking or unreliable crew and it can pay to be a little cautious of anyone you haven't worked with before.

Like what are some things you didn't realize until actual production that you didn't know about during pre-production that you thought you knew or just didn't expect that you could shed some light on with me?

The time spent talking to gearheads and techophiles would have been better spent making your story more entertaining. The audience isn't going to be impressed with your zee-wow camera or super-cool crane shots if you can't make them laugh or cry.

Back