What things do a lot of new filmmakers miss when making their first movie?

Okay so I have a crew established, film equipment, I have my script almost ready, but I don't have actors/actresses yet (They will come soon as soon as I finalize my characters)

Now what do you think most new filmmakers that have never made any form of short/feature length movie miss out on that they don't necessarily prepare themselves for before production?

Like what are some things you didn't realize until actual production that you didn't know about during pre-production that you thought you knew or just didn't expect that you could shed some light on with me?

I'm about to make my first feature length independent movie

Thanks! :)

Capturing solid production sound.

Doing a thorough audio post.

Your film will only look as good as it sounds, because "Sound if half of the experience."

Things that are missed:

Like Alcove said, sound. Planning, Production and post sound.
Established workflow.
Sufficient coverage.
Backup plans.
Vision of the final product.
Cast and crew morale.
Knowledge and experience of cast and crew.
Failure to understand the limitations of the medium, equipment used, budget, cast and crew.
The importance of particular key personnel and not having those roles filled.
Key people filling too many roles.
Correct Management and administration of people and resources.
Marketing and publicity.
A hook and a sufficient logline.
A killer script.
Distribution and the understanding of the factors that will determine whether you can sell your film.
Incorrect and/or unrealistic schedule.
Lack of legal understanding/advice.
Lack of paperwork.

and lots, lots, lots more.

Sounds like fun right? It also depends on what you're making and your goals.

Going through the process of a short can help you learn some of the process from start to finish. It'll help you learn the technical aspects and then you can learn the aspects that relate specifically to feature films.

The most overlooked thing besides audio is art direction. Few new filmmakers put thought into things like the color pallet of the film, wardrobe, props, setpieces, etc. For the love of all penguins do NOT shoot actors against empty walls or poor dressed rooms. Add objects to the background and foreground that help add to the characters and the scene. The art dept. can literally change the look and feel of a film.

Next would be the static conversation. That is the actors just stand or sit and deliver their lines . That is boring and reeks of amature. If they must be sitting, they should change posture and interact with various props. Have characters walk and talk.

The other big offender is unmotivated camera movement. The camera should move, but when, where, and how it moves should have a purpose and help tell the story. I know that sounds a little pompous, maybe a better way to say it is not to let the camera distract the audience.

Then the biggest thing to remember, newbie or pro, is to be respectful to everyone you work with and treat people well. Odds are you are not paying or not paying much for people to work on your film. Those people are doing you a favor helping you. Thank them and treat them as someone doing you a favor. The film world is very small and bridges are built and burt based on how courtious you are.

The most overlooked thing besides audio is art direction. Few new filmmakers put thought into things like the color pallet of the film, wardrobe, props, setpieces, etc. For the love of all penguins do NOT shoot actors against empty walls or poor dressed rooms. Add objects to the background and foreground that help add to the characters and the scene. The art dept. can literally change the look and feel of a film.

Go to a Goodwill, pick up some pictures, lamps, antiques, and furniture pieces.

You won't believe the amount of great props and set pieces you can find :)

You have to be every diligent with FreeCycle (at least in my area). I check several times a day (I use my "junk" email address for it).

I found two boxes of Auralex 2" sound proofing worth about $400 three years ago. I was able to fill my car with some lesser quality sound proofing last spring, about 30 sheets of 1" originally slated for a canine training facility; I would guess about $400 to $500. The sound proofing wasn't up to commercial fire code in NY - it is in CT, so I can use it - and wasn't returnable. The owner and I hit it off and we keep in touch; I can (and have) hit her up for dog barks.

I got three full size bookshelves I put in the attic, tons of glassware to break for sound effects; silverware, plates, etc. for Foley; an entertainment center and large chest of drawers for my oldest daughter; computer speakers; a pair of really large stereo speakers - I gave them to my cousin for her Music Together classes.

Just this summer - two bags of charcoal, a bag of lawn lime, an axe, a drill with a large collection of bits, and I can't remember what else.

Everything is going to take longer than you expect it to. EVERYTHING. Add as much padding into your schedule as you can, and be sure to stay focused and on-task during the shoot.

If you're using friends/family to volunteer as your cast, expect half of them to no-show. Seriously, half. If you're able to cast people who are either professional actors, or at least making a serious effort to become professional, then you can expect them to actually show up. But the amateur volunteers -- they will flake on you, so your script/casting should be flexible enough to allow for last-second changes.

Expect to be stressed the F out, and expect to have a lot of fun! Oddly, it's possible to do both. :)

One thing I noticed as a new film maker is Cuts. Cuts and multiple shots for the scene give a lot more interest. And it gives you more to play with!

To just expand on what bioboy said:

Make sure you get inserts. Even if you don't think you need them.

For instance, if the scene is at a dinner table and at one point there is wine poured, make sure you get a close up the wine being poured into the glass.

If somebody slides a contract across the table to somebody, make sure you take the extra time get the closeup of the hand pushing the contract towards them.

If somebody is anxious about the time and looks at their watch or a clock on the wall, take the time to get the shot of the clock or the watch.

These will help you immensely, as bioboy says, in the editiing of the film. It will give you something else to cut into the film.

But above all, MAKE SURE YOU GET INSERTS OF IMPORTANT PLOT POINTS.

Example: The protagonist buys a gun from a shady guy in a back ally deal. You film him meeting the shady guy and the shady guy passing him something very discretely, which he then puts in his pocket.

Please, Please make sure to get a closeup of the actual handoff of the gun, or money or whatever.

I can not tell you how many short films and features I've worked on or have heard about as an actor or producer, where they had to go back later and "recreate" an insert for a scene like this because once they start showing the film to people, they hear many people asking, "So....when he was in the alley, was that the GUN the guy handed him?" Or, "Oh, the guy gave him the gun, I didn't even see that."

Another thing I will add is make up. No matter if you got your lighting and camera settings right, a lot of times, actors just seem to look 'off', without make up, cause make up helps the cinematography a great deal also. Not saying everyone has to look pretty like in a fake Hollywood movie, but if actors have to look natural on camera, rather than just strangely off.

Last edited:
Harmonica - as you have only done one short in three years and after over 4,000 post you do not have the right to comment upon subjects like this.

Back