• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What is the best lighting setup (including gels) for $500 or under?

Hello!

I am saving up all my money this summer to get a better video setup (about $7,000). I was just curious what lighting setup would give the best results for $500? This includes gels, stands, lights, diffusers, etc.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks!

Hello!

I am saving up all my money this summer to get a better video setup (about $7,000). I was just curious what lighting setup would give the best results for $500? This includes gels, stands, lights, diffusers, etc.

Any opinions would be great. Thanks!

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but that's not a lot of money. What have you looked at in that price range?

For $7,000:

I would buy a Canon 60D with maybe a nice Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 (~$2,000).

I'd then have $5,000 to spend on lights and sound.
I'd get a decent tripod (maybe the Sachtler Ace ~$500)
I'd get a Zoom H4n ~$300
Rode NTG-3 ~$800
Then I'd probably get something like the Lowel DV Creator 55 - ~$1,300

That'd give me around $2,000 change to either put towards something else, or hold off and see what I need next - maybe buy a cheaper DSLR rig or another lens or put it towards a film.

$500 for lights is very little. You can get cheap knockoffs, but they behave like cheap knockoffs both in their build quality and in their light output.

Last edited:
Yeah, I could do quite a bit with a $7k budget for camera and lights... and most would go to the lights as the camera stuff could be just replacing the camera and some extra cards and batteries... what's the rest of the kit being purchased? you only need one camera, you need quite a few more lights (depending on what you're doing).

I'm a newbie too but a $7000 video budget and only $500 for lighting?

Assuming you've got good audio equipment already, if I had $7000 to spend on video I'd be waiting for the Black Magic Camera to come out. I've heard it's going to be around $3,000, 2.5k RAW.

But yeah, you seem to have your camera choice selected which is going to set you back $6,500, what is it?

I would get a couple of Arri Fresnels. They give you the nicest light in my opinion.

You can score them for cheap on Ebay used. They last ages. They are built like rocks!

If you get a good set of arri's, color gels, black wrap, ND film, Frost gel and also get a Chimera Speed Ring, so you can mount a softbox.

I think a good set would be:

2 x Arri 150Watt
2 x Arri 650 Watt
and maybe 2 Redheads.. 800Watt Arri.

Tbh, you will be nicely served with 6 of these heads. You can bounce them, diffuse them, whatever you want. They're all tungsten and you can turn them to daylight with color gels. If you look really hard, i think you can find that kit for about $1200 which is really really cheap!!

Back