What Films Have Changed the World?

Never seen that one but just looked it up. That is amazing.. The estimated budget was a mere $900 and it made 4 million at the box office. Now I am going to have to find it lol.

Yeah, it's nothing short of astonishing, really. The film itself, budget aside, really is worth watching, if you're into the found footage horror genre. Pretty cool movie.

"Jsthompson79]That is a misconception. The first found footage movie was actually an Italian film called Cannibal Holocaust. It predates Blair Witch by 19 years. There is also 84C MoPic which is from 1989. "

yeup yeup! CH is a rough movie to watch if your an animal lover tho....but yes this movie has that authentic lost footage feel. So much so the director got arrested because the authorities thought he actually killed his actors. This movie is not for the squemish as well for modern film goers. This film was based on a true story but at a different part of the world, i think.

Last edited:
Wow, what great mentions. And that first interracial kiss on Star Trek TOS...what a great story, huh? Leave it to Captain Kirk...what a guy. ;)

Aaaaand, shouldn't I say, leave it to William Shatner, too? Wasn't it he who insisted they go through with it? What a guy!

And, who wrote that script? Was it in the script? What moxie to even write such a thing at the time.

Will & Grace.

From Wikipedia:
The series was the first prime-time television series on U.S. terrestrial television to star openly-homosexual lead characters, signalling the highest-profile presence of LGBT characters on U.S. broadcast television since Ellen's eponymous lead character's coming-out in the 1997 "Puppy Episode". In May 2012, during a Meet the Press interview with host David Gregory, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden cited the series as an influence in American thinking regarding LGBT rights, saying "I think 'Will & Grace' did more to educate the American public than almost anything anybody has ever done. People fear that which is different. Now they're beginning to understand."[10] In the same interview, Biden stated that he was "absolutely comfortable" with same-sex marriage, a statement which was followed on May 9 by President Barack Obama speaking in favor of it.[11] The day after Obama's statement, series co-creator Mutchnick later told CBS This Morning that Biden had spoken similar words at a private function which Mutchnick and his husband had attended two weeks prior to Biden's statement, although a White House official was cited by CBS This Morning's Bill Plante as asserting that the Meet the Press interview was not a "trial balloon" for the statement.[12] Both Mutchnick and Kohan praised Biden's statement, but were critical of Obama's stance on marriage during the time between Biden's and Obama's statements.[13]

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

From Wikipedia:
"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" was the first feature film to utilize a real-time motion capture system. This method streamed the actions of actor Andy Serkis into the computer generated skin of Gollum / Smeagol as it was being performed.

Seems like motion capture is a pretty important development.

Last edited:
That is a misconception. The first found footage movie was actually an Italian film called Cannibal Holocaust. It predates Blair Witch by 19 years. There is also 84C MoPic which is from 1989.

I can't think of a movie that has changed the world but I can say one that made me interested in film. The Matrix is by far the one that has influenced me the most. Whether it be bullet time which has been used in other movies such as Max Payne or the 360 degree camera turn that has become common place since they created it for that film. The new Matrix if they go through with it promises new innovations according to an interview with Reeves I read a while back.

Stand Corrected, Highest grossing found footage film. Which paved the way for your paranormal activities, cloverfields, ect ect And technically "Wonder years" precedes "Malcolm in the Middle" but my critique on the subject was based on success.

Last edited:
Can't believe nobody has mentioned...
Triumph of the Will, Leni is one of the great directors of the 20th century. She just also happened to work for the Nazis. Olympia is very very good as well. She basically invented the way you film track and field events.

The Blair Witch project also inspired indie filmmakers, it showed how well indie films can really do in the market.

Wow, what great mentions. And that first interracial kiss on Star Trek TOS...what a great story, huh? Leave it to Captain Kirk...what a guy. ;)

Shatner1.jpg

Come to think of it, STAR TREK has had more influence on the world than just about anything I imagine. Unlike STAR WARS and its ilk, TREK has tackled all sorts of social issues - international crew (including a Russian - remember this was the 60's), the interracial kiss, equality, peace, war, sex and religion. The pilot episode got in trouble for having a woman as 2nd in command! They ended up dropping her, because NBC insisted, but eventual series spinoffs saw women and minorities in captain and other leadership roles.

Then there are all the technology influences - Automatic sliding doors are common place. Communicators became cell phones. Viewscreen conversations became Skype. The Universal Translator is now reality, as are Stun Guns (though still crude). Tractor beam and teleportation (of energy particles) technology is being explored. Scanners and Tricorders exist in less sophisticated forms. Much of the sci-fi - Warp drives, Matter/anti-matter, etc. was based on science theory.

star-trek-technology-capt-0191.jpg

Flat screen TV!!

treknobabble50_2.jpg

Seems to me like a lot of people have started at the end rather than the beginning. For example, I'm surprised no one has mentioned "RoundHay Garden", which is obviously the most important film of all time, seeing as it was the first film and that the director (Le Prince) also invented the first film camera and used actors on film for the first time.

If you're going to mention Star Trek, Star Wars and LOTR, then why not mention "A Trip to the Moon" by Melies, who effectively invented the film fantasy/sci-fi genre in the first place, as well as pioneering the techniques of superimposition, split screen, fades and dissolves and slow and stop motion. He has to be one of the most influential of all filmmakers.

Got to mention "The Great Train Robbery" and "Birth of a Nation" which laid much of the foundations of film editing which are still in everyday use today. And, "The Great Train Robbery" was one of the films instrumental in proving narrative filmmaking could be a lucrative commercial business. I think you'll agree that alone makes it pretty influential! Along the same lines you have to mention "Battleship Potemkin" which has got to be right near the very top of the list of most important and influential films ever made. There are also some French and Italian films which were massively influential and changed film in the 50's and 60's.

Should also mention "The Jazz Singer" which due to sync dialogue, completely changed the way film was made forever. Another sound related first was "Forbidden Planet", the first use of synthesized sound (and music) in film and therefore hugely influential.

As far as public awareness and influence is concerned, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the James Bond films yet (maybe because they weren't made in america!).

Jaws is considered the first true 'blockbuster' and has influenced the way most films are now scheduled, released and promoted theatrically.

Someone said this on another thread, I don't know why. The first true blockbuster was "Gone with the Wind". It is also worth a mention here as it was the first major release in Technicolor, the first cinematic epic, smashing the 1 hour convention of the time, the biggest budget film by miles (for it's time), the first film which got massive worldwide publicity, even during casting, before production even began and is still pretty close to the highest grossing film of all time (if you take inflation into account).

G

Last edited:
Seems to me like a lot of people have started at the end rather than the beginning. For example, I'm surprised no one has mentioned "RoundHay Garden", which is obviously the most important film of all time, seeing as it was the first film and that the director (Le Prince) also invented the first film camera and used actors on film for the first time.

If you're going to mention Star Trek, Star Wars and LOTR, then why not mention "A Trip to the Moon" by Melies, who effectively invented the film fantasy/sci-fi genre in the first place, as well as pioneering the techniques of superimposition, split screen, fades and dissolves and slow and stop motion. He has to be one of the most influential of all filmmakers.

Got to mention "The Great Train Robbery" and "Birth of a Nation" which laid much of the foundations of film editing which are still in everyday use today. And, "The Great Train Robbery" was one of the films instrumental in proving narrative filmmaking could be a lucrative commercial business. I think you'll agree that alone makes it pretty influential! Along the same lines you have to mention "Battleship Potemkin" which has got to be right near the very top of the list of most important and influential films ever made. There are also some French and Italian films which were massively influential and changed film in the 50's and 60's.

Should also mention "The Jazz Singer" which due to sync dialogue, completely changed the way film was made forever. Another sound related first was "Forbidden Planet", the first use of synthesized sound (and music) in film and therefore hugely influential.

As far as public awareness and influence is concerned, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the James Bond films yet.

Someone said this on another thread, I don't know why. The first true blockbuster was "Gone with the Wind". It is also worth a mention here as it was the first major release in Technicolor, the first cinematic epic, smashing the 1 hour convention of the time, the biggest budget film by miles (for it's time), the first film which got massive worldwide publicity, even during casting, before production even began and is still pretty close to the highest grossing film of all time (if you take inflation into account).

G

You sound like you have been through Full Sail's History of Motion Picture Arts.. Everyone of those films you touched on are in their course.

You sound like you have been through Full Sail's History of Motion Picture Arts.. Everyone of those films you touched on are in their course.

Really, that's disappointing to hear! I've never had any formal training in film or done any kind of film course. where is full sail by the way, in the US?

G

Really, that's disappointing to hear! I've never had any formal training in film or done any kind of film course. where is full sail by the way, in the US?

G

Full Sail is an online course for the arts (no disrespect intended, but it's not a "traditional" university). Nevertheless, I would take this comparison as a compliment. No matter the relative esteem of an educational institution, if their course-work is similar to your opinions, well then you gotta be doin' somethin' right! :)

Star Wars for sure, and man whoever said Jurassic Park rules. That flick came out the day after my eighth birthday and I was already dinosaur crazy. Never has a movie affected me so much. And I think not only to the effects hold up, they look better than some movies that come out today.

Star Trek and Star Wars certainly seems to have had the most physical, long lasting affect in terms of creating masses of loyal fans.

The values of integrity and rational thought in Star Trek the Next Generation definitely influenced and fascinated me, so I would think it did for many others.

I'm with ItDonnedOnMe on this one.

That's a cool opinion, and I for one appreciate your and IDOM holding it. And I think I can see where you're coming from. We, no doubt, do not want to get too serious about it, either.

Has a film ever changed the globe for everyone who lives, or who has ever lived upon it? I suppose not.

So it comes down to a definition of world...or World. Years ago I started reading a book that is an introduction to metaphysics. Surprise, I never/haven't finished it. But I did get to the part where the author is discribing what definitions we might choose for "the World." The long and the short of it is, in metaphysics, or, at least in his short introduction, he writes, when he refers to "the World" it will mean Ultimate Reality. By Ultimate Reality (I have no idea what I should be capitalizing or what I should not capitalizing here), he does not simply mean the whole universe or anything necessarily so physical in nature, but the totality of all that is.

Surely, I'm not necessarily asking if there are any films that actually changed the totality of all that is. Or maybe I am. Please see below.

Anyway, I'm inclined to argue that if a film (or whatever, for that matter) changes even a small part of that totality, then that totality is in fact changed. The more of the world, or worlds, that a film might alter or touch, the more significant that change is to the whole.

But when I formulated the question, I was thinking in very broad, and very casual terms, and that's how I hope it to be taken.

Did a film ever level a mountain? Did a film ever move the continents to or away from one another? Did a film ever split or fuse an atom? Did a film ever cure Polio? Did a film ever send men to the Moon? Etc?

No, I suppose not.

At least...no, not on its own, itself.

But, I was thinking that each of us, in a sense, has his or her own world. That world bisects, intersects, overlaps, mixes with, butts up against, melds with, etc with the worlds of others. Then there are larger "worlds," like the worlds of communities, cultures, societies, nations, and perhaps countless others all the way up to the global "world" that includes everyone, if we're simply thinking in terms of planet Earth.

I was wondering about the macro and the micro...people's personal worlds, lives, experiences as well. What films have changed their worlds, their cultures, their societies.

Has a film ever changed the globe for everyone who lives, or who has ever lived, upon it?

I think that's an unfortunately limiting and narrow view of the question to take. But let's try it.

A case even for this could be made for the positive. Let's look at AudioPostExpert's excellant examples.

He wrote:
For example, I'm surprised no one has mentioned "RoundHay Garden", which is obviously the most important film of all time, seeing as it was the first film and that the director (Le Prince) also invented the first film camera and used actors on film for the first time.

I suppose there might be some aboriginals living somewhere on this planet who have not yet seen a video or the TV and so have not been moved or touched by it in some way or another, as they probably would be. But I wouldn't hold my breath assuming that to be the case.

I think it's safe to say that most human beings on this planet have in fact been exposed to video or TV or even film projection in some shape or form at some point in their lives.

How could you possibly conclude RoundHay Garden has not changed the world?

Look, there. Points. It clearly has. Unless you want to disallow equating that with change to the world?

Last edited:
Back