What Do You Want to See in Theaters?

unless of course, you're rich enough to bankroll your own movie distribution and marketing blitz to get it to make money yourselves, the studio system will always be the only way to get widespread distribution. Utopian film industry? HELL YES! Realistic? Um....not really. The guy who sells you popcorn has to get paid somehow...and the guy running the projector, taking the tickets, sweeping up after the artsy types get done throwing jujubees at the back of your heads...et cetera.

There is A LOT OF TALK IN HOLLYWOOD about this very same subject. The studios are very scared at the idea of people voting with their wallets and purses...

I've had numerous conference calls about this very subject as of late...

Believe it or not, there are several studios out there TRYING like hell to make films as many members have outlined in this thread above...

The real problem seems to be HOW TO GET THE REAL BUYING PUBLIC OUT OF THEIR HOMES AND INTO THE THEATER?

The studios know exactly WHERE most of the money of the ticket buying demographic comes from... Mom and Dad. So HOW do you get Mom and Dad to go to the theater? Simple. Make better movies. LOL.

Movies that make you think...

And a lot of that falls on OUR shoulders...

How many of us want to break into the biz? How many of us are writing movies that make you think? Movies with an inner and outer hero's journey? Movies with themes? Movies with a central idea throughout? Movies with amazing subplots that are consistent with the central idea of the story?

Write a high concept movie that contains all this and it will get made... High concept doesn't have to be shit...

filmy

I have no problem with entertainment just for entertainment's sake.There's a place for it.A good action adventure with the hottest babes for eye candy,whatever.What I have a problem with is shelling out 10 bucks to see something that I walk out scratching my head going,"The budget for that was what???""30,40 million????!!!??"
The studios have become their own worst enemy.They wonder why mom and dad don't go to the movies,no one wants to go spend money and time to go out to see a movie that will be on cable and sattlelite in less than a month.

CootDog said:
I want to see movies that make me think.
I want to leave trying to figure out or comprehend what happened or is going to happen.
I want to question reality.
I want questions with no answers or answers with no questions.
..."The Virgin Suicides" great film with all this. That's what I want out of a film also....

Quote from elfmanlives...
We are all taught to accept everything just for acceptance sake. What does that lead to? It leads to laughing at something just because it was supposed to be funny. It leads to crying at something just because it was supposed to be touching. It ALSO leads to thinking something is good just because it was supposed to be deep
...I think this happens far too much. I don't care what anyone says: I hated "The Piano", you know, the movie with Harvey Keitel and Holly Hunter, it was nominated and won (I think) an oscar or two. Did I get it? Yeah, I got it, Yeah, I understand "dark" and I love it when people who don't like dark films try to explain one to me, HATED IT ANYWAY! Just cuz people say its great doesn't necessarily make it so. (I'll stop ranting now)...

Quote from jaxshooter...
(not to mention the droves of people who really care about the stars' private lives and read and follow all the gossip/scandal crap.This really gets my goat since I work in TV news,a horrible studio system of it's own)
...did I write this? From another frustrated television news production person....

...Hollywood, in my opinion, is going to have to put their money where their mouth is to make me believe that they are trying to put real quality into the theaters. Prove to me that there are more good stories out there by backing some of them. Everybody didn't grow up in CA or NY. Every Caucasian isn't from the Suburbs and every African American isn't a criminal. People are complex and varied and I personally want to see some new stories.

...Resevoir Dogs is proof that a movie can be great without something exploding, it proves that an interesting story can carry a film and leave an impression with viewers. The big blockbuster films are fine if what you want is a good popcorn movie, but I am finding that the movies that stay with me are smaller and make me think. Everything else is killing time....

--spinner :cool:

Totally agree.

jaxshooter said:
I have no problem with entertainment just for entertainment's sake.There's a place for it.A good action adventure with the hottest babes for eye candy,whatever.What I have a problem with is shelling out 10 bucks to see something that I walk out scratching my head going,"The budget for that was what???""30,40 million????!!!??"
The studios have become their own worst enemy.They wonder why mom and dad don't go to the movies,no one wants to go spend money and time to go out to see a movie that will be on cable and sattlelite in less than a month.
AGREED!

filmy

Back