• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What do you look for in a Short Film?

Since short films are what they appear to be, short, what do you look for in them? Since we do not have the luxury of a full feature film where we can get to know the characters and build relationships with them, what do you look for in a short film? (5-20 minutes long).

Do you focus more on detail to character or detail to setting? Do you prefer a descriptive cinematic view of the setting or one that focuses more on the character? Do you prefer a dark lit them or a heavily lit theme?

Personally i prefer a dark theme for short films (Take in to account i pretty much just want to build my career on b movie productions) i believe you need an equal balance as far as the setting and character. You can always have your character development progress through your short film i think that adds a little mystery to the film and keeps the audience interested which is a huge part of short films. No luxury to have a few dull scenes everything has to be interesting 10 minutes is a eternity in short films. At least in my opinion

Do you focus more on detail to character or detail to setting? Do you prefer a descriptive cinematic view of the setting or one that focuses more on the character? Do you prefer a dark lit them or a heavily lit theme?

Well, in general the "detail to setting" is not as important as the actual characters & their story. Still, there's nothing wrong with getting as much production value on screen as possible.

I don't selectively pick the shorts I watch, though. I go through about twenty of them each week - still not enough time to watch them all - and sure, some are better than others but very few are truly terrible or unwatchable. So I guess I don't really look for anything going in; just anticipating being entertained in some fashion.

Well, in general the "detail to setting" is not as important as the actual characters & their story. Still, there's nothing wrong with getting as much production value on screen as possible.

I don't selectively pick the shorts I watch, though. I go through about twenty of them each week - still not enough time to watch them all - and sure, some are better than others but very few are truly terrible or unwatchable. So I guess I don't really look for anything going in; just anticipating being entertained in some fashion.

where do you watch them?

Amazement, surprise, entertainment, poetry, beauty, emotion, humor, absurdism, statements, interesting ideas...

After analysing the incomplete list I wrote before this line one can say I'm looking for either Shock (surprise, humor, absurdism), Awe (amazement, beauty) and/or Movement (emotion, entertainment).

The main 2 things I look for in a short film are:

Good Theme/moral etc
Clever "Show don't tell" scenes/shots

Other things I look for

Simplicity
Subtext

And I don't mind the old twist or ironic ending either!

The film can be about anything in any genre, with any story and varying types characters, if it ticks the above boxes it's a winner IMO. I love clever subtext and clever show don't tell scenes too, like Vin Diesel's short film multi facial:

A new found respect for the man:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBeuyjlbes8

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBeuyjlbes8

But I find myself liking the arty drama type short films over your typical "empty" genre short, like action or horror for example, maybe I just haven't seen one well done? I dunnno, but it seems like too many people are attempting to emulate what they see on the big screen and it doesn't quite work.

Here's a couple of other good ones I've seen lately:

Lemonade Stand (love this one, it's so cute and quirky)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JL82j-l6hM

Inja is probably one of my absolute favourites, ticks all the boxes of what I like, subtext, show don't tell, ending etc. would love to find one with proper subtitles, but it has very little dialogue anyway and you should be able to get it without subs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRK1r1DEQok

Since short films are what they appear to be, short, what do you look for in them? Since we do not have the luxury of a full feature film where we can get to know the characters and build relationships with them, what do you look for in a short film? (5-20 minutes long).

I disagree with the statement that you can't get to know the characters in a short film, why not? Maybe it's just me but in the above example "Inja" short film I was really rooting for the protag's and hated the antagonist

Most feature length films that I've seen will employ a tactic very very early on in the movie to get you on the side of the Protagonist, often within the first 5 minutes or so, he does a good deed or something bad/unfair happens to him so you feel sorry for him (basic examples)

First consideration is length. Since most shorts are low budget and by amateurs they look like garbage. The premise (NOT story) had better be pretty darn good to get me to even consider watching anything labeled >5min.
The story itself had better be interesting by five to fifteen seconds into it AND MAINTAIN INTEREST afterwards.
None of this "we're building up into the story" rubbish.

Second, nine times outta ten amateur acting is actually better than amateur camerawork. So, as a writer/director/producer make sure your complaints are about your actors and not your blocking, movement, and lighting.

Third, AUDIO COLLECTION. Get off the expletive camera.

You're right, though. At just a few minutes there's really little time to do artless character development.
Use stock characters the audience can identify instantly and mentally fill in the gaps for you allowing you to move on with a story worth your audience spending five minutes on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stock_characters

BONUS #1: when it comes to learning about filmmaking, you'll be better off making five four minute shorts than four five minute shorts, or three seven minute shorts, or two ten minute shorts, and a single twenty minute short is just wasting a whole lotta time and resources more times than not.
Short shorts.
Think 'commercials' short.

Bonus #2: http://www.shortoftheweek.com/films/

BONUS #1: when it comes to learning about filmmaking, you'll be better off making five four minute shorts than four five minute shorts, or three seven minute shorts, or two ten minute shorts, and a single twenty minute short is just wasting a whole lotta time and resources more times than not.
Short shorts.
Think 'commercials' short.

+1003945860333421

This is so very true.
Short shorts that can be shot in 1 day or 2 will keep total production time short.

I look for shorts that are actually shorts with a beginning middle and end, none of this hey I shot some sweet stuff its a short film now or short films where in reality its just a meaningless scene with an open ending, but looks cool. Drama or thrillers for me make the best shorts with a twist at the end. Oh and no more than 5 mins ;)

I expect the action to begin 5 seconds after pressing "play". If your short has a logo/title sequence longer than 5 seconds, I'm already eyeballing a plot in the cemetary to bury it.

When the action starts something better grab my attention and keep it. Most short films don't.

You've also got to get our attention somehow to even watch it. Just look at the hundreds of recent "watch my new film" threads on this board that have ZERO replies.

Good luck.

Back