What do you do when Actors Can't Make

What do you do when actors can't make their recall? They have other obligations, their agents direct them to go to other auditions and callback, or book them with other productions?

Do you give their roles to another actor?

Until they star in something that has made money as a hit movie, no distributor will invest in them and neither should the filmmakers.
Ewww.

Um, just wanted to recommend doodle.com for scheduling rehearsals and such: first, I figure out days and timeslots that work for me, create a calendar/poll at doodle.com and give all the actors permission to login and add their availability to the poll. It works great because at a glance I can see who is all available at the same time. Some rehearsal days will just have to do without all the actors, but I try to accommodate their schedules, especially if I'm not paying them (BTW, I usually find some money for my leads after everyone else gets paid, and they appreciate it. Or I will recommend them to other filmmakers if I cannot pay).

Trying to let them have the time to work on other things to boost their careers and accommodating them as best I can, without compromising my production, is how I invest in people who were willing to work hard for me for no pay. My last project used actors who had all different schedules; doodle.com made it easy so that they didn't have to keep emailing me to let me know. All those emails get to be too much to manage.

That being said, if someone starts to behave like a diva (like one extra I had who insisted he be given a speaking part), I let them go. There's a gazillion actors in NYC, so it's easy enough to find another to step in.

That's another thing. What's with the talking head syndrome? There'e more to acting than dialogue! I'm stressing in my ads that this production will build their ACTION REELS as well as their acting reels. More experienced actors will know they need both.

I do like the way nycasting.com organizes actors. It is easy to seperate the ones that are what a role calls for from the ones that don't

I don't mind email submissions. Gmail helps to keep them organized. I created a special email address just for casting.

Also, I organize my auditions with MS Excel with a schedule table I made myself.

My boot camp will last about 2 weeks. But I will be casting martial artists, gymnasts, and MAKING them prove it. Or those that are quick learners. My stunt choreographer doesn't have time for basic 101. What kills me is that actors list all these things that seem impressive on their resume but when they are called out on it they FREEZE. Don't they know that's a NO-NO. Not only will it humiliate them but also could diminish any future auditions they attempt. They don't know who these directors know in this industry. That's why 1ST IMPRESSIONS are MOST IMPORTANT. I tell my potential auditioners BE HONEST. Cause they will be called on it.

My solution is go SAG! Good-bye to non-union headaches. I will welcome SAG and other union actors for any future productions. The only non-union actors I'll work with are from past productions. Anyone new must have a union card.

Enough of the non-union people who gain so much weight from the day they were auditioned to the first day of rehearsals where they can't fit into their costumes. Enough of the mixed up people who can't remember their own schedules. Enough of the people who try to make their own hours when they have lead roles. There is enough to write a book. But, I won't be more specific.

Enough of the bad ones.

I welcome the higher level of professionalism and experience union actors bring to a production. They bring team work and expert advice on how to do things better.

I've seen Equity actors I'd like to work with too, as well as I had a great experience with an Eastern European union actress.

Go union! There are untra low budget agreements available.

I'm getting ready to deal with a new issue in my next production. And, that is we will have some studio actors in new roles working with our cast who reprise their roles. I'm thinking of getting the old cast together to caution them not to act like dives in front of studio actors. I've already seen studio actors cutting each other down to size verbally when someone has too much of a swollen head. They are very good at verbally chopping each other apart.

Back