What are you working on?

Okay, so my first post in this thread was obviously in jest. I wanted to answer the question, but didn't really know how, only because my filmmaking plans of late have been fickle.

The straight answer is that I've been putting in work on other people's films. I've always believed that my biggest strength in filmmaking is in editing, and I'm very happy that a handful of people have allowed me to cut their work.

I'm also working on learning patience. By spending time on other people's projects, I've had to put mine own aside, and actually I think that's exactly what I need to do. Everything I've ever produced has had a real sense of urgency. I want to take my time on the next feature.

I'm also working on learning patience. By spending time on other people's projects, I've had to put mine own aside, and actually I think that's exactly what I need to do. Everything I've ever produced has had a real sense of urgency. I want to take my time on the next feature.

I think this is a sensible attitude.

I'm not considering working on another major project for at least another couple of years. If, after graduating, I can work on a film that has plenty of time in pre-production and a budget of 150k+ (which I don't think is as unreasonable as it sounds), that's when I'm ready to jump into another production. But I don't think there's a huge amount of merit in getting to a point in your career having made 10 quick no-budget indie films. I'd rather make one or two of them and then start a more meticulous planning process.

In the meantime though, I have every intention of continuing to write. I'm currently doing a rewrite for a script being developed by a large equipment rental company that shall remain nameless. After that I'd like to do a number of different writing projects because I enjoy them and they're fulfilling in a very different way from directing. You can find out more on my writerly self-promotion site: Nick-Hilton.com

I'm working on a Scripted and Documentary Entries for the Digi60 Contest and Working on acquiring some puppets for a web-series I'd like to do over the winter. At the same time I have some CGI for my last movie that need to be tweaked before being released....

Oh an I'm moving... but that is less film related.
And I have a day job that is not film related...

Busy? No...

I'm in the process of starting a non-profit film ministry, and prepping two features that we'll shoot back to back this coming summer- "Leap: Revelation" - an apocalyptic end times piece that deals with the seven last plagues and takes the stance that the Vatican is the antichrist (I'm directing this one) facbook.com/leap3movie and "Run" - an escape thriller that I'm producing for a first time director facebook.com/runfilm. Information about what we're doing and production blogs can be found at starspictures.org

Just finished DP'ing a found-footage flick for a first-timer director.

70% landed another similar gig. Still talking.

Werewolf comedy/exploitation flick ramping up, with some peeps I've worked with before.

Finished collecting footage for a ministry fundraiser/documentary. Edit mode kicking in. Will be so happy when this is done. /albatross

Started movie-related side-business to bring in movie-bux - click link in sig for deets. :blush:

As you can see, I have several proje... dang it! efb
smiley_fist.gif

I have just finished writing my first no budget feature, just about finished casting the roles and finding locations....
I just have a hand full of short films sitting on the editing desk

I really wanted to stop with shorts and try something more serious.

Today i handed a documentary film into the Firestation for there arts exhibition. Tomorrow I'm off to Newbury show ground to do some promotional filming my first paid job I'm so excited!

But my big project at the moment is a short film with a burger van and two very contradicting characters. I'm doing most of the jobs myself.

I haven't been around here properly in quite a while, so I'm sure I've missed out on tons of fascinating projects from members, new and old.

So, once again, what are you working on? Films, writing, *real life*, whatever! I'll start:

I just finished my penultimate year of undergraduate study (the wording of which shows that I am now considering post-graduate study...) and am doing an internship at a current affairs magazine in London. I now edit my university's newspaper, which feels like a full-time job in itself, but with my studies on top means that I can hardly do anything else. I am also putting the finishing touches to The Flight of the Flamingo, aiming to have a screening in the next month or so, and hopefully will be producing a short documentary in the next few weeks on the displaced inhabitants of the Chagos Islands in the Indian ocean.

Last edited:
I haven't been around here properly in quite a while, so I'm sure I've missed out on tons of fascinating projects from members, new and old.

So, once again, what are you working on? Films, writing, *real life*, whatever! I'll start:

I just finished my penultimate year of undergraduate study (the wording of which shows that I am now considering post-graduate study...) and am doing an internship at a current affairs magazine in London. I now edit my university's newspaper, which feels like a full-time job in itself, but with my studies on top means that I can hardly do anything else. I am also putting the finishing touches to The Flight of the Flamingo, aiming to have a screening in the next month or so, and hopefully will be producing a short documentary in the next few weeks on the displaced inhabitants of the Chagos Islands in the Indian ocean.

I'm still in post for my short which has surprisingly had purely positive reviews despite it being absolutely mad, completely off the wall. I've never seen anything like it but even complete strangers really like it so it's showing promise. Just need my sound guy to pull through and it'll all be good.

I have a short dancey thing I want to shoot and then have to complete a couple of bits and pieces for musicians. I'm going to drop the music thing soon because musicians around these parts are too much like hard work. For example, I did a rough cut of a music vid and all the people in it liked it except the musician. He insisted in chopping it around to his own ideas... which we all think are terrible.

Last edited:
I'm still in post for my short which has surprisingly had purely positive reviews despite it being absolutely mad, completely off the wall. I've never seen anything like it but even complete strangers really like it so it's showing promise. Just need my sound guy to pull through and it'll all be good.

I have a short dancey thing I want to shoot and then have to complete a couple of bits and pieces for musicians. I'm going to drop the music thing soon because musicians around these parts are too much like hard work. For example, I did a rough cut of a music vid and all the people in it liked it except the musician. He insisted in chopping it around to his own ideas... which we all think are terrible.

I guess music videos, however creative you want to be with them, are fundamentally advertising and are basically the same as corporate vids. Much as you might want total creative control over them, you've got to hand your product over to the person who's commissioned it. I think that can be quite a frustrating experience, so the skill is, from the off, tailoring your production not just to what you want, but what the musician/manager/record label want.

I am working on a social networking script. :cool:

I have literally no idea what that means. Like Aaron Sorkin? ;)

currently working on an animated sci fi comedy called Neb Wars: Attack of the Gingers. Things are rolling on pretty slowly but I'm hoping to get a crowd funding pitch together by the end of July(apparently animators need to eat too?). Othet then that I work 60 hours a week in my 'day job' so not much else to be honest

Let's see, since the last post, I've finished the comic book script (the artist has been passing me pencils...the layouts are done, as well as the first 5 pages, hoping to have it done for a small press expo in August). Scored another feature and a couple shorts, and am assembling a demo reel to try and get more gigs. Did a stint on bass in a friend's band (I've played on and off with him for about 10 years now). With my band, getting a few new songs to live-playable-state (pretty excited about them, but I always am) and we'll be doing our first out-of-state show in August. Slowly but surely! Hopefully booking some more shows in the next few months. Keeping busy!

I just spent nearly 48 hours straight writing code for some mobile apps, which capped off two weeks where I don't think I slept more than 5 hours a night. My hands barely work at this point (and yet here I am, voluntarily typing more!). But it's paying off, and looking like it may help fund some film projects next year that are bouncing around in my head. In fact I've had some really interesting ideas lately about how I may fuse the two sides of what I do into some cool projects, and along the way I'm starting to feel a manifesto of sorts starting to take form. I can't think of a better place to hash that kind of thing out than around here, so just a warning - I'm likely to start ranting any day now. But I think I'll get a little sleep first, before implementing my plans for world domination...

Last edited:
Back