What are some CA cities with strong independent filmmaking scenes (other than LA)?

I'm a high school senior, looking into what I should do after graduation. Right now, I'm entertaining the idea of going to a state school or UC, going to a community college to save money (this would automatically leave me at home), or biting the bullet and moving to Los Angeles. If I did make the move to LA, I would either attend a state school there (something like Long Beach), attend a community college in the area, or simply take a gap year and focus all of my time and energy on working as a production assistant.

If I went to a traditional college, I would major in something more practical - business, law, economics, psychology - and would either minor in film or take film classes on the side (or join a film club). I'm not in it for the credit of a film degree. I'm not in it for the equipment. I'm not even in it for the education - I know you can learn a lot outside of a classroom. I'm in it to meet people who I can work on projects with, because I know you can only get so far working solo. Unlike screenwriting, filmmaking is a collaborative effort.

However, if I decided to forego the more traditional college path, I would have to get filmmaking experience elsewhere. This is where moving away really comes into the equation. I originally thought that if I wanted to get real, hands on experience working as a production assistant, the only place I'd be able to do that is Los Angeles. But that's almost 8 hours away from home (yes, I know I'm a lot luckier than most for even living in CA, but I have a good relationship with my parents and I'd love to be able to visit them on the weekends). I'm starting to wonder if you can get a similar experience elsewhere.

I live in Northern California. Right now, I'm toying with colleges located in places like Sacramento, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, San Jose, etc. Do any of these cities have independent filmmaking scenes? I'm looking to live somewhere where I can find entry level filmmaking jobs with relative ease. I know that if you live somewhere like Los Angeles, unpaid below-the-line-jobs aren't too hard to come by. I want to gain experience, meet people who I can work with, start building a reel, experiment with making short films, etc. I just want to be situated somewhere with opportunities for a young person who wants to get experience, even without pay.

Other than the options I already listed, what cities are there in California that have strong independent filmmaking scenes, and opportunities for entry level filmmaking jobs?

Thanks for any advice guys.

I know San Francisco has a strong independent filmmaking scene. As
does Santa Barbara. I don't know about the other cities you've listed.
Orange County (Anaheim, Fullerton, Costa Mesa) has a strong
independent filmmaking scene. And (of course) all of Los Angeles county
does.

Entry level filmmaking jobs (paying jobs) in this area (LA/OC) are not
relatively easy – there are few and very, very difficult to get. There
is huge competition for even unpaid below-the-line jobs. Internships go
to family and friends first, film students from the top film schools second
and if any are left to those who are crazy persistent.

Film students are always looking for unpaid labor – fellow students are
too busy on their own projects to help out. And there is unpaid work
available on dozens of independent films all the time.

So to find entry level filmmaking jobs with relative ease you may be
better off in San Francisco. However, I don't know how many paid jobs
are available so the availability and competition may be about the same
as Los Angeles.

I know San Francisco has a strong independent filmmaking scene. As
does Santa Barbara. I don't know about the other cities you've listed.
Orange County (Anaheim, Fullerton, Costa Mesa) has a strong
independent filmmaking scene. And (of course) all of Los Angeles county
does.

Entry level filmmaking jobs (paying jobs) in this area (LA/OC) are not
relatively easy – there are few and very, very difficult to get. There
is huge competition for even unpaid below-the-line jobs. Internships go
to family and friends first, film students from the top film schools second
and if any are left to those who are crazy persistent.

Film students are always looking for unpaid labor – fellow students are
too busy on their own projects to help out. And there is unpaid work
available on dozens of independent films all the time.

So to find entry level filmmaking jobs with relative ease you may be
better off in San Francisco. However, I don't know how many paid jobs
are available so the availability and competition may be about the same
as Los Angeles.

Thanks Directorik. Would you say SF is the only major city in Northern California with these kinds of opportunities? I'm not looking for internships or networking opportunities. I just want to be somewhere that I can meet people. If below the line jobs truly are as difficult to obtain as you say, then maybe going to college is the best option for me.

If I head in the direction of Santa Barbara or Orange County, I'd probably just go ahead and move to LA anyways.

Further clarification: I'm specifically looking for cities with strong filmmaking communities in Northern California. I'd love to hear Southern California suggestions as well, but the North is really what I'm looking at.

i grew up and did my film theory (not production specific) studies in Minneapolis, a growing, yet definitely smaller scene. i can say that if what you want is experience, both paid and unpaid, you should be able to find it anywhere. i had opportunities in Milwaukee and Chicago, even up north in Duluth and on the Canadian border in small towns like Ely. you'll find jobs if you want them.

that said, school is the way to go. you'll find a great community, even if you do like you said and just join a club or volunteer to help unpaid on other student productions, plus once you gain some experience, you'll meet people you trust and who trust you, you'll hear about paid gigs, you'll move up to boom op, grip, whatever.

i'd actually be interested in hearing what the San Diego scene is like myself? i'm moving out to CA in two weeks and, though i have a few photography job leads (my main field), i'd love to hear what kind of short film/passion project scene is out there, would love to meet some peeps and work on some fun stuff!

also, i swear by CL, gotta be smart about who you contact and work with, but there's always stuff on CL. in MN we had a MN film and tv production board site that was similar but more specific, i'm sure there are similar sites everywhere, especially out in CA

Thanks Directorik. Would you say SF is the only major city in Northern California with these kinds of opportunities?
No, I wouldn't say that. But the bigger the city the more independent
filmmakers. The smaller the city the fewer independent filmmakers.
So Santa Cruz (while beautiful) is less likely to have strong independent
filmmaking scene than San Francisco.

i grew up and did my film theory (not production specific) studies in Minneapolis, a growing, yet definitely smaller scene. i can say that if what you want is experience, both paid and unpaid, you should be able to find it anywhere. i had opportunities in Milwaukee and Chicago, even up north in Duluth and on the Canadian border in small towns like Ely. you'll find jobs if you want them.

that said, school is the way to go. you'll find a great community, even if you do like you said and just join a club or volunteer to help unpaid on other student productions, plus once you gain some experience, you'll meet people you trust and who trust you, you'll hear about paid gigs, you'll move up to boom op, grip, whatever.

i'd actually be interested in hearing what the San Diego scene is like myself? i'm moving out to CA in two weeks and, though i have a few photography job leads (my main field), i'd love to hear what kind of short film/passion project scene is out there, would love to meet some peeps and work on some fun stuff!

This is great to hear. To be honest, at this point the idea of saving money by heading off to community college for the first two years, meeting people interested in film there (and through clubs/the theater department), and investing money in some starter equipment is becoming more and more enticing. I'm primarily interested in screenwriting, although I want to gain technical knowledge as well.

I hope everything works out well for you in CA!

Back