What are all the bunch of cables that run along the ground?

Every time I've been to a film production on set I see huge wires on the ground and I was wondering what most of them are used for? Also, having some knowledge of camera and film equipment, I can't think of what such thick and bulky wires would be used for.

I am in the middle of creating a multicultural film project and I sure hope I can bypass having to lug around a bunch of cables that need to be rolled up each time.

Every time I've been to a film production on set I see huge wires on the ground and I was wondering what most of them are used for? Also, having some knowledge of camera and film equipment, I can't think of what such thick and bulky wires would be used for.

I am in the middle of creating a multicultural film project and I sure hope I can bypass having to lug around a bunch of cables that need to be rolled up each time.
I suspect you are talking about electric cables. As you can imagine
on a professional set the power needs are greater than the power
needs on a low budget film.

You will need several extension cords to run from a power source to
your lights. On a pro set those are 100 amp and 60 amp Bates cables.
You won't need them.

cables.png

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. So what do these cables hook up to? In my experience you can get an excellent shot with a Blackmagic camera or a Canon video camera along with a camera stabilizer or other rig setup. I'm just trying to see how one can get by filming great looking scenes without all these cables?

With the video series that I am working on, these will be scenes in Italy, Morocco, India and Middle East. I need quality shots but I cannot afford to bring all the attention to us and show up on site with trucks of stuff. See where I am coming from?

Thank you for your reply. So what do these cables hook up to? In my experience you can get an excellent shot with a Blackmagic camera or a Canon video camera along with a camera stabilizer or other rig setup. I'm just trying to see how one can get by filming great looking scenes without all these cables?
Those are electric cables. They hook up to a power source, run to the
set, and then lights and anything requiring electricity are plugged in.
Those cables have nothing at all to do with getting an excellent shot
with a camera stabilizer or other rig setup.
I'm just trying to see how one can get by filming great looking scenes without all these cables?
As I said in my post, you don't need those cables to get by filming great
looking scenes. You can get by get by filming great looking scenes without
using those cables. You will not need that amount of power when you
are making your movie. If you need some power to your location, you can
use a few standard extension cords - not those 100 amp Bates cables.
Extension_Cords.jpg

Back