What acting skills or qualities do YOU look for?

I'm sure this has been asked a dozen times before, but like the title says; what acting qualities or skills do you look for when casting a film?

Ability to convey meaning with facial expressions. The good actors can convey meaning with just a look in their eyes. Kevin Spacey, Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, and so many others can really convey a story by controlling the look on their face. You'll notice that many b movie actors simply go through the motions, relying on the action in the script to do their job for them.

The ability to take direction, and only run with the role within the confines of that direction. Today's egos have every person on set trying to direct the film from their station, kind of a curse in the amateur leagues.

I likes actors who are interested in the character and want to know all about the backstory of the character. I also like it when they come up with their own backstory. Good actors have a level of self control and are able to relax and not wind up their faces to convey emotion. It's also great if the actor looks the part.

Dependability is a big thing, and that comes from an actor/actress who really cares about their craft, and takes it seriously.

I like an actor/actress who looks like they're not acting. And I think that comes from somebody who really explores the character, and sort of becomes them. I want to believe that what I'm watching is a real person.

Like UC, I like an actor/actress who wants to make creative contributions. I don't want someone who just delivers exactly what is written on the page. I want them thinking about what's going on, and if they're adding their own contributions, that means that they've really applied some creativity, and great things happen when people do that.

Great post so far.

I'd like to echo other's.

Directablity. If they can't take direction, I'm not that interested.

Looking like they aren't acting. They fit or realize the character so well they become him/her.

Character. Not the actual character, but "moral" character for lack of a better word. They do what they say, they show up on time, they're respectful, responsible and honest. You can trust them. Even if you disagree about something, someone who's able to work it out with you and come to an agreement. I haven't shot a feature yet, but spending a month on set with someone you can't trust but they're the lead actor and the movie tanks without them would suck.

I look for people that will show up first, then pick the best actor out of that group.

lol, I like that.

I think a lot of these traits would improve with my preferred trait; good working relationship between actor and director. If you like working together I think it makes for a better actor, punctuality, so on if the actor actually gives a crap about what you're doing.

Of course thats just theoretical, I've had plenty of friends who were entirely undependable.

Learned this key tidbit from this forum.

What do they do when NOT reading a line? In an audition, have them read with someone, anyone, bad\good doesn't matter. After they deliver a line, what do they do? Do they look down and read the next line getting ready for their delivery, or do they "act like" they are listening and reacting to what the other character is (should be) saying.

Learned this key tidbit from this forum.

What do they do when NOT reading a line? In an audition, have them read with someone, anyone, bad\good doesn't matter. After they deliver a line, what do they do? Do they look down and read the next line getting ready for their delivery, or do they "act like" they are listening and reacting to what the other character is (should be) saying.

good call.

heres a third option. They're so into their character that they're not doing any of that, they're doing whatever their character would be doing.

I wonder if that would be an effective way to audition. have a part where instead of just reading lines you have a bunch of them just mingle with eachother in character, or just ask them questions or something but they have to answer in character.

1. Their reading. Excellent - Very Good - Ok - What are they thinking? Most will be in the OK category. Very few will read the lines exactly the way you envision them. They should at least have a general idea of the character and how to interpret the lines. If they don't have that, then they're useless.

2. Their reactions. The reason this has to come second is many actors good and bad aren't off-script for an audition. So, you can't fault them for not properly reacting when they're basically reading off the page. However, you will come across some who do. That still doesn't necessarily make them the most talented. Just the most prepared.

3. General overview. You should be able to get a read on the person.

4. While I rarely look at resumes (everyone has to start somewhere), if you're looking for a lead, you can see if they've had any lead roles.

You're in Northern New York. So, I'm guessing you won't be pulling from the NYC pool. That will limit you. But, there are excellent actors everywhere. You just have to find them.

Coming from an actors and directors point of view I know what type of actors I like working with. Actors that make strong choices about a character. So many times I will deal with actors that don't really make a choice. They say the lines, but they are just saying it.

I like being around actors who have trained enough to know how to be themselves behind the character. The personality is what draws us in. Too many actors just saying lines to make it sound like they aren't acting. That's only a small part of what they should be doing.

Taking direction is huge as well.

I know this may sound crazy, unorthodox and simple, but I look for people who do not act - unless the occasion really calls for it (see Heath Ledger as The Joker). But if the character is merely a seemingly normal person (which in most cases, it is - at least in my films), all I ask out of the actors is to just be themselves. Say each line as you would say it "OOC". If the scene calls for the character to become angry, act as how you would if you became angry. You're not acting, you're just being yourself as you would be if you were placed in the situation the scene is calling for. That sort of thing.

Granted I'm not Steven Spielberg, nor have I shot a hundred films, but thus far this method hasn't failed me yet. It's really hard to find and direct inexperienced actors (which is what most of us deal with, even if they have acted in over 100 short films). So many decent independent films are ruined by poor acting, but that's only because most directors are asking these actors to do way more than they're capable of and not spending enough time prepping them for the part.

Last edited:
We look for actors who have done some live theatre work, which shows that they have an ability to memorize lines of dialogue. We also look for actors who have "some" experience in front of a camera, but not too much...those with a ton of film work tend to have attitudes right away, and/or wonder who you don't have 20 people on your crew.

MOST OF ALL, we look for people who show up for their auditions ON TIME, without excuses, and without rescheduling their audition a dozen times. Added traits to look for...one or more acting classes.

People to definitely avoid: "Models". They rarely showup for auditions, and generally don't take the time to learn their lines.

http://bigfootmovie.tripod.com

At this point in the game, depenability is key. I can't afford to pay my actors, so I need to know that they'll be committed to doing the part and won't leave me high and dry after shooting half of their scenes.

After that, I like to know that they can take direction. During an audition, I might push someone into a dircetion that's totally out of left field, just to see if they'll do it. If they do, it helps me trust that they won't freak out if I ask something of them later that they don't understand or agree with...

Improv skills are big with me now because I realize how many scenes change because of location or technical problems. Actors have to be able to go with the flow and be effective even without rehearsal.

We look for:
Ability to convey the character
Good chemistry on screen
Dependability
Takes direction well
Willingness to prepare for the part (memorize lines, learn blocking and/or choreography, etc.)
Good personality/Jells with the cast and crew

Back