What 1st affordable mic for XL2?

I need an affordable mic and boom rig I can plug right into my XL2 for making short clips of decent quality. Can you experienced guys get me on track on this? I could spend up to a few hundred if necessary, but cheaper is preferred. Thanks.

The NTG-1 and NTG-2 are essentially the same mic. The only substantial difference is the NTG-2 can use a battery to supply its own phantom power. The battery compartment also makes the NTG-2 a bit longer.

The same applies to the AT875 versus the AT897, and although the AT897 has better specs on paper it is very difficult to hear the difference when used with other budget gear. (In other words, you won't hear the difference when recording with a DR-100 ($300) but you will hear the difference when using the Sound Devices 302 mixer/702 recorder combo ($3,200.)

The biggest reason that I make the recommendation for the NTG-1 and AT875 is that, in general, battery powered mics that supply their own phantom power tend to have lower output levels. So if your audio recording device (camera or dedicated audio recorder) can supply phantom power you get a hotter audio signal and save a few dollars - that you damned well better spend on audio !!! :D

Back