Website Design

Hello guys and gals.

This isn't really a filmmaking question (although it could well apply to filmmakers) but I was wondering if anyone here either does web design or knows anyone who does.

It's for my film review site which I am investing in getting a sweet makeover, but I want to get some good value and most of the professional companies charge a veritable fortune for services that lots of amateurs can produce.

Cheers in advance,
Nick

Much as i think Blogger and Wordpress are good for this sort of thing, I would prefer to be able to use something like Joomla so that I could publish articles by all sorts of different people, or reports or reviews or whatever.

I don't want it to feel like a personal film review blog on first site, or indeed upon further investigation.

Checked out the sites. idk y but i was under the impression u wanted something more complex.

You can find temps for these or have someone help u out.

Like i said, im no pro builder but these are some of easier things in web design.

Much as i think Blogger and Wordpress are good for this sort of thing, I would prefer to be able to use something like Joomla so that I could publish articles by all sorts of different people, or reports or reviews or whatever.

I don't want it to feel like a personal film review blog on first site, or indeed upon further investigation.

Seriously, Wordpress is a hell of a lot more advanced than Blogger. You can have many different users, all with different privileges, and having different blogs for film reviews/DVD reviews/filmmaking tips etc. would be as easy as adding a new category in the admin panel. Wordpress is, despite its origins, a very powerful CMS.

Yer, i really like the Film Riot site and I looked long and hard at SquareSpace.

It's just that in the end if I am going to be paying that much for the hosting and support, I would rather have a custom design than using a template. And if i was going to use their CSS editor, I'd rather just have it designed and hosted else where.

As I said before it's a difficult decision and one that, i'm sure, a lot of film makers here have to go through.

Hello guys and gals.

This isn't really a filmmaking question (although it could well apply to filmmakers) but I was wondering if anyone here either does web design or knows anyone who does.

It's for my film review site which I am investing in getting a sweet makeover, but I want to get some good value and most of the professional companies charge a veritable fortune for services that lots of amateurs can produce.

Cheers in advance,
Nick

Just post your requirements on Elance. You can get the best designers bid on your project. Its the best way to get designing projects completed.

Get a wordpress template build your site through that, add an email opt in on your front page to keep folks updated. Run SEO putting yourself on top of google. Get FB, Twitter, Linken, and start building a presence online.

DONOT use FLASH Keep it simple like Google. They are only number 1.

I already have all the sub-groups (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube) but what I want is a professional looking main website where I can release interesting content and make it useful to people.

@achengms The problem I have with something like Elance is that the quotes almost universally come in at $450+ whereas I know that if you know someone who does web desing they can:

a.) Do it for cheaper.
b.) Do it much quicker.

I actually genuinely do not know what to say.

I don't think I can express it in words. Suffice it to say that my jaw hit the table pretty resoundingly. I thought you were just doing a mock up??? That is completely perfect!

Entirely the sort of thing that I was looking for. If this was an actually forum, in the Roman sense, I would hug you.

You are AMAZING! :D

Ok...

Another quick cry for help:

Are there any Wordpress users here who know how to add themes? I have had a theme designed and coded but can't understand the instructions on how to upload it (i'm an idiot, long story short). Is there anyone here with a Wordpress account who I can send the theme too + add as an Admin, so that they can help me upload it?

This would be super appreciated as I'm stressing out as to how difficult this is...

:(

Once again, I am looking for someone who does web design.

Once again, I don't have as much money as I'd like :(

But I'm a people person (or something like that) :)

If anyone does web design or knows someone who does, then please let me know..!

waddya need?

It's not top secret or anything, I'm just reluctant to put too many details publicly in case I don't get round to doing it and people call me a quitter! Basically, it's a website that expands upon what my current websites do (TheClapperBored.com and theanglosaxondiet.com) and produce a social media friendly, college hipster oriented news and opinion website. Just basically a way of disseminating funny and interesting information from a single, and very trendy, platform.

So I'm looking for a website that is very clean and aesthetically pleasing, with plenty of different content accessible on the homepage. But I also want it to be easy to update, so I'd like to use a CMS like wordpress or joomla.

I don't do these Internet projects to make money (although I'd like to). I do them because I'm pretty sure there are going to be no paid jobs in journalism within the next few years, so i am trying to carve a niche as an internet savvy writer and editor. I don't know where it's going to get me or where it's got me so far (I am getting to see the Expendables 2 ten days before release, there's a win) but it's a lot of fun.

That's a basic outline :)

I only do your basic html stuff so I'm no help with the website. But the project sounds like a great idea. It's the sort of thing I could see in a biography or documentary about a person

"At Oxford, Nick Hilton started InstaNewsGram, an alternative youth newspaper, which blossomed into a Fortune 500 company and made him his first million. Also, there was rowing."

Back